PDA

View Full Version : US Soldier's Way of Dealing w/ Shoddy Product

ucrt
12-03-10, 10:11
A friend sent me this video of a US Soldier dealing with his dissatifaction with a HP All-In-One Printer/Fax/Copier/Scanner (http://www.makeorbreakmoments.com/2010/10/21/us-soldier-sends-message-to-hp-support/).

I would have loved to have done this to the last HP product I owned but I just restrained myself, walked it out to the trash can and threw it inside.

I wonder if the HP 5510 All-In-One will lose it's NSN number now. :)

120mm
12-03-10, 12:02
Our current organization somewhere, somehow, found a way to buy 110V ONLY HP printers. What In ****???

I didn't even realize you could buy 110V only computer equipment anymore. Needless to say they are all burned up from being inadvertantly plugged into a 220V source as that is all we ****ing have here.

To add insult to injury, the supply guy came down and threatened to get people written up and fired for "destroying company property". Things did not go well for him.:rolleyes:

Army Chief
12-03-10, 12:19
We had a helicopter crew in Iraq lose their wings a couple of years ago for doing much the same thing. It's all fun and games until the wrong person in the chain of command finds out. =[

AC

Iraq Ninja
12-03-10, 12:24
That video dates back to 2006. Interestingly enough, it got HP's attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euh1g21x_rs&feature=player_embedded

ucrt
12-03-10, 12:29
Our current organization somewhere, somehow, found a way to buy 110V ONLY HP printers. What In ****???

I didn't even realize you could buy 110V only computer equipment anymore. Needless to say they are all burned up from being inadvertantly plugged into a 220V source as that is all we ****ing have here.

To add insult to injury, the supply guy came down and threatened to get people written up and fired for "destroying company property". Things did not go well for him.:rolleyes:

===========================

At a DRMO at Ft. Polk years ago, I bought a pile of like new 220v/110v stepdown transformers. I rewired them in reverse to get 110v/220v to use for odd ball 220v stuff like blowers, large routers, etc.

They worked well but they were heavy, probably about 20# each. Just figured they were common overseas??

ucrt
12-03-10, 12:35

================================

Seemed like a pretty good response. Wonder how long it took HP to respond because this video appears pretty new. Guess this video kept hanging around so they had to make a statement.

BUT for me and mine...I don't buy HP at home or my Plant...:rolleyes: Oh well....

kwelz
12-03-10, 14:10
================================

Seemed like a pretty good response. Wonder how long it took HP to respond because this video appears pretty new. Guess this video kept hanging around so they had to make a statement.

BUT for me and mine...I don't buy HP at home or my Plant...:rolleyes: Oh well....

He referred to the video from being "back in 2006" and said they reached out to the soldier 4 years ago. So new Video but they talked to him back soon after it happened.

ucrt
12-03-10, 14:28
He referred to the video from being "back in 2006" and said they reached out to the soldier 4 years ago. So new Video but they talked to him back soon after it happened.

=======================================

Yah, I figured that but 2010 is about over. I was meaning how long from when the soldier's video was made to when HP contacted him? HP could have waited up to 11 months before they replied and took care of the guy.

I was wondering why it took HP 4-years to make a public response. That's why I said "Guess this video kept hanging around so they had to make a statement." Reckon they still hear about the video and it is hurting civilian sales, so it took HP 4-years to "explain" how generous and thoughtful they are to us.

kwelz
12-03-10, 14:36
I doubt they made this video as a reply just to this situation. More than likely this is just part of a larger PR push.

Spiffums
12-03-10, 14:44

If we shoot AT THEM you think they would write drivers for Vista? I hate having to keep a XP box just for my high dollar printer that is only 2 years old.:sarcastic:

Suwannee Tim
12-03-10, 16:18
I hate HP. I had a printer that was one year old when I "upgraded" to Windows 7. Printer wouldn't work. No driver. Got a Brother. Shortly afterward I happened across an article that explained how simple it was to change another driver to make my printer work with W7. Too late for me, I had already given the printer away. HP wouldn't make the simple change. They would rather force me to buy another printer. My employer used HP laptops for five years. 'Bout wore us out. Bad power connectors and Blue Screens of Death. I am now HP free, both at home and at work. **** 'em. A pox on the people who made the great HP into a peddler of cheap commodity junk.

chadbag
12-03-10, 17:36
I would not buy a new HP printer or any inkjet for that matter. But I have an HP2100TN and have had it for over 10 years and it works great. In fact, the best deal out there is on eBay where you can find these printers (laserjet 2100 or 2200 with network adapter) for like $40-$80 delivered and then you buy the $20-$30 refilled cartridges that last forever. Best way to print out there is this eBay old printer and refilled carts.

LHS
12-03-10, 19:17
If you think their hardware sucks, try their enterprise software. My office is pushing to go all-HP for our enterprise software, and let me tell you, it SUCKS. HP is literally so bad it makes us all nostalgic for the glory days of CA software. :suicide:

LegalAlien
12-04-10, 16:36
I see government property being destroyed, using military issued firearm and ammunition, by a soldier, possibly on duty and drawing military pay.
In other words, a waste of our tax dollars to 'send a message to HP' . . .

For real?????????

The asshole shold be court martialed

Shotdown
12-04-10, 16:46
Same thing happened to our office. I called HP to find out how to troubleshoot one of our HP printers and they wanted $180. This was earlier this year.

The_Biased_Observer
12-04-10, 16:56
I see government property being destroyed, using military issued firearm and ammunition, by a soldier, possibly on duty and drawing military pay.

For real?????????

:sarcastic:

czydj
12-04-10, 18:35

For real?????????

Sorry... The printer wouldn't print out the forms to start that action, before or after it was turned into landfill fodder...

Army Chief
12-04-10, 19:42
Does anyone else have the sense that this one has pretty much run it's course? Going to pull the plug here before we tread too far into the realm of the unrecoverable.

AC