PDA

View Full Version : Triangle handguards

yellowfin
12-03-10, 11:02
I've found a couple of places online that have the triangle handguards and will probably buy a set or two just to have them for when I'm ready to buy a 20" upper. They look great, somehow alluring beyond the simple desire to be different; the retro look doesn't just look good because it looks retro. It peaks my interest with a pair of questions: does anyone make them new now, and why was the change made other than just to have a new style?

FMJ52
12-03-10, 14:02
does anyone make them new now, and why was the change made other than just to have a new style?

No one making new anymore, there are NOS for sale. I believe the new round version has better heat disapation.

AnimalMother556
12-03-10, 17:41
The round handguard halves are the same there is no need to stock right and left sides. The old style are strangely appealing though.

peabody
12-04-10, 10:24
The round handguard halves are the same there is no need to stock right and left sides. The old style are strangely appealing though.

yes they are, just something about them, everyone likes them.

i sure like em on my 603 clone.

they feel great.

peabody

usmcvet
12-04-10, 11:07
Keep your fingers away from the holes up top. Gas tubes are WICKED HOT.:D

mack7.62
12-06-10, 20:38

+1

This was a big problem, many more left handguards were broken due to the fact than everyone laid their rifles down on the left side with the ejection port up. The A2 handguards are also more robust, the A1's are somewhat delicate. I like the feel of the A1's you can pretty much pick how thick you want your handguard to be.

Jimston
12-08-10, 17:45
I'll have a set of triangular handguards in about 10 days. I doubt i'll use them. I will try them out for a few days, but will likely go back to the plastic handguards, or i'll buy something new.

Panzerfaust
12-08-10, 20:57
What, if any advantage does the A1 handguard offer over the A2 handguard?

Further more, is an A1 style rear sight more stable than an A2 style rear sight?

I tried to use the site's search function to find these questions or possibly some answers to them, but for some reason, it wouldn't work.

Jimston
12-09-10, 08:18

Further more, is an A1 style rear sight more stable than an A2 style rear sight?

I tried to use the site's search function to find these questions or possibly some answers to them, but for some reason, it wouldn't work.

I'm wondering the same thing Panzer. The Colt MT6601C that i recently bought came with both A1 and A2 hand guards.

Whoever owned the rifle before me had decided to install the fiberglass hand guards that are of a triangular shape. But with the deal, i am also getting the Ribbed and round plastic hand guards.

So i too and wondering if i should stick with the Triangular set, or take them off and install the Plastic hand guards.

I'm guessing that the plastic guards are lighter then their fiberglass counterpart, but that may be incorrect.

I would probably sell the fiberglass hand guard if i end up not using it.

usmcvet
12-09-10, 08:53
My 2 cents would be to keep both sets. The A2 handguards are a better design and will last longer under hard use. You will not get much money selling them either. I would not pay more that $10-12 for a a used pair I think they are less than $20 new. The A1's look cool but I would not have them on a fighting gun.

I've been considering buying a midlength bbl for a Kino build to use with an A1 slick side upper I just bought. I saw a set of A1 handguards for sale that had been modified to fit a midlength and I thought it would be fun to have for a few retro photos. I would use A2or MOE handguards 99% of the time.

pezboy
12-09-10, 14:20

What do you mean by stable? The A1 sights have two of the same sized aperture for two different ranges and the A2 sights have a small and large aperture for two different ranges and night firing. The adjustments are the same but once you can adjust the A2 sights in the field for range and windage. The A1 sights are lighter and less likely to get accidently adjusted.
Dustin

Jimston
12-09-10, 15:14
What do you mean by stable? The A1 sights have two of the same sized aperture for two different ranges and the A2 sights have a small and large aperture for two different ranges and night firing. The adjustments are the same but once you can adjust the A2 sights in the field for range and windage. The A1 sights are lighter and less likely to get accidently adjusted.
Dustin

Well, the rifle i own is a Colt 6601C Math Target w/ 1 in 7 twist, HBAR, A2 sights, but currently has a fiberglass handguard. I have both A1 and A2 handguards, and was just wondering if the fiberglass handguard makes for a moe stable firing platform.

I don't plan on firing this rifle to hard, although i will do a few mag dumps i'm sure. I mostly plan to walk around the woods all day and hunt. I plan to take my 6601C on camping trips that last 3-5 days. So the rifle will mostly be exposed to cold weather and moisture for long periods of time.

I wonder which pair of handguards will handle cold weather the best without risk of cracking or damage from low tempuratures and moisture.

I live in Connecticut. We deal mostly with low 2-20 degree temps in the winter. I need to find the best cold weather lube as well.

Panzerfaust
12-09-10, 15:50
Dustin

My thinking was that since A1 rear sights don't have a turret and can only adjust on the horizontal plane rather than both on the horizontal and the vertical plane, that they might be much less susceptible to being knocked out of alignment.

akviper
12-10-10, 03:36
The A1 type hand guards had a tendency to break in the upper vent cut out area. It was mostly a cosmetic issue but it was common to see one or more of the sections broken off. The A2s do not have the exposed "ears" and are more rugged.

pezboy
12-13-10, 07:12
Well, the rifle i own is a Colt 6601C Math Target w/ 1 in 7 twist, HBAR, A2 sights, but currently has a fiberglass handguard. I have both A1 and A2 handguards, and was just wondering if the fiberglass handguard makes for a moe stable firing platform.

I don't plan on firing this rifle to hard, although i will do a few mag dumps i'm sure. I mostly plan to walk around the woods all day and hunt. I plan to take my 6601C on camping trips that last 3-5 days. So the rifle will mostly be exposed to cold weather and moisture for long periods of time.

I wonder which pair of handguards will handle cold weather the best without risk of cracking or damage from low tempuratures and moisture.

I live in Connecticut. We deal mostly with low 2-20 degree temps in the winter. I need to find the best cold weather lube as well.

Sorry, my question was aimed at someone else. Anyway, the A2 handguards will definitely be sturdier and stronger.
Dustin

pezboy
12-13-10, 07:15
My thinking was that since A1 rear sights don't have a turret and can only adjust on the horizontal plane rather than both on the horizontal and the vertical plane, that they might be much less susceptible to being knocked out of alignment.

The A2 sights can adjust accidently, so in that aspect A1s are better. It would be very hard to break either one. If you have A2 sights just make sure you have a witness mark on your windage know and that it is set for the right distance. I think the front sight post is more likely to get bent than the rear sight broken.
Dustin

Ilove2shoot
12-14-10, 15:28
I miss my old SP1 with the triangles........maybe one day she will come back...but me thinks it went south of the border a long time ago......

Panzerfaust
12-18-10, 03:05
The A2 sights can adjust accidently, so in that aspect A1s are better. It would be very hard to break either one. If you have A2 sights just make sure you have a witness mark on your windage know and that it is set for the right distance. I think the front sight post is more likely to get bent than the rear sight broken.
Dustin

I thought they could. Thank you for the advice on the witness mark for the A2 windage knob, I'll be sure to heed it well.

torquemada055
12-27-10, 03:16
Here's my A1 middy, you can either buy a set of hand guards from Nodak or you can make a set ala the 607 type but you need to get the rear end cap from a fellow over on Arfcom in the retro section.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x140/torquemada55/PICT4427.jpg
Like the one on the left in this pic.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x140/torquemada55/PICT3983.jpg

usmcvet
12-27-10, 06:05
The middy looks awesome.