PDA

View Full Version : Strongest 12"ish "tube" HG???

GhostB14
12-03-10, 18:05
Who has the strongest tube 12"ish HG? JP,VTAC,BHI, PRI? If you were building a rifle tonight for going to battle in some far away hell-hole tomorrow who's tube would you use if tube style was your only option? I want to put together a lite tube style upper that will last for my kids, their kids, ect. Price need not be factored in. Needs to be 11"-13"

Thank You
Patrick Scott

Belmont31R
12-03-10, 19:20
LaRue, DD or KAC in no particular order.

outrider627
12-03-10, 20:11
LaRue, DD or KAC in no particular order.

None of those companies make the handguard type he's looking for. He wants a tube style handguard like the Troy TRX not a regular quad rail.

OP, I have no experience with tube style handguards, but the PRI free float tube handguard was standard on the Navy's Mk 12 SPR.

aflin
12-03-10, 20:22
VTAC and Troys are tough as nails...I would not hesitate going into combat with them

cop1211
12-03-10, 21:25
VTAC and Troys are tough as nails...I would not hesitate going into combat with them

The PRI tubes have been there.

Boss Hogg
12-03-10, 21:48
I like the small diameter of the Troy VTAC, but Blackheart's is unquestionably more robust.

Biggy
12-03-10, 21:55
I'm liking the 12" Apex handguard on my Recce. It mounts to the stock barrel nut , is light, has a small OD , is well vented, has machined in grip texturing, sling swivel receptacles and good rigidity. I believe LWRCI will also have their SPR mini REPR handguard available to purchase after SHOT. Besides being the best feeling handguard I have ever held, its a two piece design with an excellent attachment method, sling swivel receptacles and with bolt on rail sections. I believe my quad rail days may be over.

cop1211
12-04-10, 01:52
I'm trying to resist getting another upper with either the PRI or the Blackheart tube.

Rln_21
12-04-10, 04:32
Isn't the Blackheart just a re-branded Apex handguard sold for $75 more? For that price difference you would think a full length top rail would be included or something...

GermanSynergy
12-04-10, 09:43
No complaints regarding my PRI tube...

Biggy
12-04-10, 10:25
Isn't the Blackheart just a re-branded Apex handguard sold for $75 more? For that price difference you would think a full length top rail would be included or something...

Yes, Apex Machining makes the Blackheart handguards. I believe the Blackheart handguard lengths (carbine, middy and rifle) are all an inch or so longer than the Apex ones and have an extra vent slot. I believe these handguards weight a few ounces more than the Troy and VTAC ones but may be more rigid and they are easy to install using the stock barrel nut.

shootist~
12-04-10, 10:42
I like the small diameter of the Troy VTAC, but Blackheart's is unquestionably more robust.

The JP-VTAC is another option that's popular with 3-Gun competitors. I like the Troy version better, but I can't say mine has actually seen hard use.

jmart
12-04-10, 11:05
The absolute strongest will be a steel NM-style float tube (Compass Lake, WOP) that fits underneath the stock, composite HGs. But you won't have any way of mounting anything else to them. If you don't have a requirement to mount a sling to the HG, or a light or whatever, this is an option.

Zog
12-04-10, 11:09
The PRI tubes aren't used anymore because of the weak attachment system. I really like the Troy/V-Tac tubes.

royta
12-04-10, 11:36
I like this thread because I wanted a tube style hand guard for a coyote/predator rifle. Is it just me, or are they actually heavier than the same length DD Lite railed forearm? I can't see going with a tube if it's heavier.

Biggy
12-04-10, 12:32
I believe some tube type handguards may be a few ounces heavier and some may be a few ounces lighter than the DD lite quad rails. For me, a rails strength and how it fits my hand and gripping style trumps a rail that is a few ounces heavier or lighter. Most quad rails are either wider or taller or both than I prefer when rail panels are added. The Larue quad rail is still my favorite for how it feels in my hand. I could be wrong, but I believe that currently the new Spikes Tactical SAR quad rail with its titanium barrel nut is the lightest in the industry. When it becomes available the Centurion Arms low profile quad rail is also one I plan on checking out.

9DivDoc
12-04-10, 13:46
Who has the strongest tube 12"ish HG? JP,VTAC,BHI, PRI? If you were building a rifle tonight for going to battle in some far away hell-hole tomorrow who's tube would you use if tube style was your only option? I want to put together a lite tube style upper that will last for my kids, their kids, ect. Price need not be factored in. Needs to be 11"-13"

Thank You
Patrick Scott

Take a look at the new Apex Apex Machining Company (http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974&pd=112348#images)

Built like tanks...if that's what you are looking for...heavier duty than
my Troy,or PRIs...

royta
12-04-10, 13:49
Take a look at the new Apex Apex Machining Company (http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974&pd=112348#images)

Built like tanks...if that's what you are looking for...heavier duty than
my Troy,or PRIs...

How strong is the fastening between these and the stock barrel nut? Is there a possibility that somebody could twist the tube enough that they could loosen the barrel nut?

Biggy
12-04-10, 15:00
Double post delete.

Biggy
12-04-10, 15:05
How strong is the fastening between these and the stock barrel nut? Is there a possibility that somebody could twist the tube enough that they could loosen the barrel nut?

I have been using the 12"Apex handguard on my recce type rifle for awhile now. I believe if the barrel nut has been properly torqued and you use the correct type thread locker on the bolts, their would be a very slim possibility that any connection will loosen or move unless somebody with a large pipe wrench tried to loosen it .

GhostB14
12-04-10, 15:42
I do like the looks of the Apex stuff, its nice to hear good things about them. I just noticed that I never mentioned what I wanted to bolt on it. SF X300 @ 12:00 with DD fixed iron behind that and I plan on giving the AFG a try on this one.

Thanks everyone!