PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide. ACOG or TR24

kwelz
12-03-10, 18:43
Alright. First off here is the gun.

http://web.me.com/kwelz/Pictures/DDmiddy.jpg

The Aimpoint works fine. I don't dislike it. However I can't shake the desire to have an ACOG on there. My eyesight isn't the best and having small magnification is nice. Also I really like the Chevron reticule offered by Trijicon.

My dealer/trainer/mentor isn't a fan of ACOGs because of the fixed power and short Eye relief on many of them.

I understand these points but still want one.

The other option of course is a variable. I currently run a TR24 on my SPR and it works quite well. But I worry about the weight and balance issues it could cause on the above gun.

The gun will be used for training and Home defense. I am open to any suggestions you all may have.

ACOG, variable, stick with what I have?

Skang
12-03-10, 19:32
if you are using as home defense, H1 is the best out of those two.

But, if you must, i'd go with TR. being able to use 1x and zoom as needed.

TehLlama
12-03-10, 21:24
For your usage listed, I'd keep what you have.

The TR24 is more flexible, and for simple shooting positions the 1x capability that thing has is very very good.

The BAC ability of the ACOGs seems to be very much an individual thing - for me it works great, for some it just doesn't happen. The TA11 would be my choice among those, but it really comes down to whether the bullet drop compensator or the ability to turn the zoom down is more practical for you if you want to go the Trijicon route.

I have an TA31M4RCO and TR24RT, and like both. The ACOGs work exceptionally well for me, but the accupoint is still a great system.

kwelz
12-03-10, 21:32
On point I forgot to mention. I will need to buy an additional optic anyway. I currently have a TR24 on my SPR and the Aimpoint Micro. However as soon as my paperwork comes back I will need an optic for that also.

The question is just what I should get. Another Micro for the SBR, an ACOG or TR24 for this gun and move my micro to the SBR, or wait for Shot 2011 and see what comes out then.

cop1211
12-03-10, 21:45
I say wait till after shot show. If nothing new comes out that you like, go for the TR 24 triangle.

nickdrak
12-03-10, 22:59
I would also suggest waiting until after SHOT to see if Triji offers any new reticles on the TR24. The only thing that would convince me to sell my TR24G is a TR24 with a Green Chevron/BDC reticle like on the TA31F-G ACOG. That would be sweet! (If it is workable with a variable power 1-4x?)

Alaskapopo
12-04-10, 00:08
Alright. First off here is the gun.

http://web.me.com/kwelz/Pictures/DDmiddy.jpg

The Aimpoint works fine. I don't dislike it. However I can't shake the desire to have an ACOG on there. My eyesight isn't the best and having small magnification is nice. Also I really like the Chevron reticule offered by Trijicon.

My dealer/trainer/mentor isn't a fan of ACOGs because of the fixed power and short Eye relief on many of them.

I understand these points but still want one.

The other option of course is a variable. I currently run a TR24 on my SPR and it works quite well. But I worry about the weight and balance issues it could cause on the above gun.

The gun will be used for training and Home defense. I am open to any suggestions you all may have.

ACOG, variable, stick with what I have?

You want an ACOG and you should scratch that itch. The TR24 is a great option but you already have one. I would put your T1 in an off set mount and get an ACOG that you like and run both optics in a dual optics set up. See how you like it. Buy the ACOG used however either from here in the sales area or from the other site. You can get better deals used.
Pat

warnerd
12-04-10, 00:19
I would go with the TA-33 for its compact size and weight.

PrarieDog
12-04-10, 00:54
I pulled the trigger on a TR 24 this week. Very satisfied with it. Check out liberty optics, they have a sale price of $669 going on right now. Scott is great to deal with and shipping is free.

kwelz
12-04-10, 03:06
If I go the ACOG rout I am leaning towards the TR44 right now. Low magnification makes it better suited in close and the light weight and small size is a bonus.

I am not a fan of the look of the 33. I know, I know. Looks don't matter.

payj
12-04-10, 16:21
Since you have a H1 already I would do what alaskapopo said. Put the H1 in an offset mount and get a TA33. I have a TA33 on my rifle and like it alot. Great eye relief and compact size.

Kuraki
12-04-10, 18:48
I think the TR24 is a wonderful optic with real daytime illumination and beautiful glass for the price, but I am not going to buy one until Trijicon puts something like the TA31GH reticle in it. Triangles on posts and tiny little illuminated dots surrounded by cross hairs do nothing for me.

vietboy1st
12-05-10, 09:55
this is my advice you don't have to read it if you don't want to.
1/ how far can you shoot ?
2/ how much do you have ?
.................................................................................................
for Acog there are different type of models.
acog 4x32 designed for 7.62, 5.56/223 cal and 6.8 cal so you have to watch out for those. Second for barrel length. they have acog for 14.5 to 16'' barrel and 18 to 20'' barrel...

if i was you i like to go with acog 4x32 because it is easy to see your target at distances up close. And i will sell the aimpoint and get the trijicon rmr to mount on top of the acog for cqb.:D