PDA

View Full Version : Powder Scale Selection

556mp
12-03-10, 23:21
I'm looking for an inexpensive powder scale, somewhere in the $50 range. Digital would be a plus, but not necessary, I don't think. Currently, I'm using a POS Lee scale.

The MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale (750 Grain Capacity) seems like a great little scale for the money, and gets good reviews everywhere that I've looked.

The Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Powder Scale (750 Grain Capacity) seems to be ok as well. But, from the reviews that Ive read they are not quite as accurate.

Any recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated.

ryan
12-03-10, 23:24
Im using an RCBS 502, its light years ahead the LEE a little more than $50 but not much and well worth it.

mkmckinley
12-03-10, 23:41
I was using one of those super cheap electronic scales Midway sells. It might have been a Frankford Arsenal, I can't remember I gave it away. I was having some powder charge anomalies and I couldn't trust that scale. I bought a Dillon balance beam scale that works fine and has a "what you see is what you get" quality that I find reassuring. It works well and has been consistent and easy to use. If you're looking for an electronic the non-Dillon Brian Enos sells looks like a safe bet. I haven't used one however.

mike_556
12-04-10, 00:12
I have a cheap $40 Dillon blue scale that's served me well in 12 years but I am looking to get an electronic RCBS scale and meas. machine soon.....The Dillon served me WELL!

bamboolongbow
12-04-10, 00:44
Take a look at the scale Brian Enos is selling.

Pal
12-04-10, 02:42
The rcbs 505 scale has never done me wrong. Dillon makes one thats real similar and looks to be of equal quality.

markm
12-04-10, 09:22
The rcbs 505 scale has never done me wrong. Dillon makes one thats real similar and looks to be of equal quality.

Same here. I wouldn't go cheap with a digital. Accuracy is sorta important. ;)

chadbag
12-04-10, 12:35

The RCBS 505 and the ELIMINATOR scale from Dillon differ only in the cast body. The platform, scale beam, sliders, etc are all the same and both are made by OHAUS for their respective sellers. The Dillon is by far the better deal at $55 than the $75-$80 that the RCBS usually go for.

I have a 505 myself that I have had since before I got in the business and I sell the ELIMINATOR scale...

With regards the Digital Scales.

I have the original Dillon D-TERMINATOR scale (the bigger oblique face one) and the new D-TERMINATOR scale. (I don't have the intermediate D-TERMINATOR II scale that they briefly sold while the new D-TERMINATOR was being developed and the original was already discontinued).

I also have a $20 cheapo chinese pocket scale I got from a scale company when I was buying a freight scale. I bought it in the interest of professional curiosity since I was already ordering some freight scales. Amazingly, every time I cross check it against my 2 Dillon scales, it matches exactly.

chadbag
12-04-10, 12:45
Just FYI

CED (Competitive Edge Dynamics) makes the Dillon electronic scale. They also sell a pocket scale of high quality (around $90) and their new table top scale.

I talked with the CED guy who runs CED and to his scale engineer (by email) and they explained a lot about scales. The software that makes them precise is complicated and hard to write (as the scale wants to clamp down on a value but you want to keep add in new powder etc). No digital scale does trickling well but the Dillon (new D-Terminator) has special software in it so that it does trickling out there better than most. The Dillon also has a platform supported by 4 supports versus just one platform support which helps it be more consistent. And lots of other stuff I forget (conversation was several years ago).

556mp
12-04-10, 23:42
Thank you all for the information!

I actually have a shop by me with great prices on Dillon equipment. So, I'll stop down and pick up one of their scales. And It'll match my big blue 550 :sarcastic:

akxx
12-11-10, 13:38
Don't forget there are quality electronic scales out there that don't have the "reloading-brand" markup to them. Jennings and MyWeigh make quality precision scales and have a long running reputation--just not as well known in the reloading world. $50 gets you a scale of the quality that reloading equipment brands charge over $100-150 for.

Ttwwaack
12-24-10, 04:23
I'm on my third scale. Had a RCBS 50* scale that was old reliable but had been damaged in a Change of Station move. I picked up the RCBS Powder Dispenser and Scale and noted some problems during load development for large cases 70-80 grain charges and borrowed a scale to confirm. Picked up an Accu-Lab for some change and it is accurate but spendy. Finally ran across another beam scale at a local gun show or garage sale, checked it against scale standards and have been using that as the quick back up.

I noted with the digital scales, I get better readings if I just leave them on 24/7 while reloading and do an internal/external cal when I resume reloading. It seems that it takes awhile for them to warm up.

Unless I was going major match shooting (i.e. BR, HP or Palma) I'd bypass the Accu-lab. It is alittle much unless you are an anal retentive perfectionist.

Pain
12-27-10, 21:44
I've been using the same balance beam RCBS scale for my whole life. RCBS makes a fine scale, guaranteed for life too.