PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my rifle

Out_of_Battery
12-05-10, 13:29
During the "Oh no, my black rifle is going to be banned" boom I found a killer deal on a cheap rifle - DPMS Sportical for under $500.00.

My local gun store overstocked on ARs and needed to liquidate quickly. At the time I knew virtually nothing about rifles, being mostly a hand gun shooter, but I did know that under $500 was a good price for a platform that interested me, but I wasn't willing to spend through the teeth to learn.

Now I've really grown to like the platform, and I know I need to upgrade my rifle. I'm not really interested in trying to make improvements to my existing rifle, my understanding is that a DPMS isn't really worth improving (no hate directed to DPMS or fans of DPMS in that statement, the rifle has worked well for me, but I do want a more quality product).

The question I'm coming to this forum for is:
Bravo Company gets a lot of recommendations here, so does Daniel Defense. I don't notice a lot of love for Spikes on this forum. Is there a reason for that?

I'm really leaning toward the Spikes, and so far I can't find a single technical reason not to go with them. Am I looking to the wrong company, and if so: why?

Thanks for any advice!

bsmith_shoot
12-05-10, 13:37
Go for it, Spikes makes quality kits. I run mostly BCM, but I do use a few spikes lowers. Their BCG's are excellent. I am going to get a 14.5 middy upper from them when they are released. They are excellent rifles and components. Do it and dont look back.

GermanSynergy
12-05-10, 13:41
OP,
I'd suggest looking through this thread. It will answer alot of questions you may have.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

fivefivesix
12-05-10, 13:56
if i were youi would buy a daniel defense or bcm barrel with the gas block or sight,replace the buffer tube, spring, and buffer with one from bcm, and install a daniel defense lower parts kit in the dpms lower receiver, and then either get a dd or bcm bolt carrier group.
and then beat the snot out of it and find any other weak points.
there is a story of a cheaper brand that has only a few hundred rounds thru it and the gas block and barrel are enlarging already. thats the difference in quality and a show and tell peice. in 2 months i have ran 1000 rounds of ammo thru my ddmv2 and when i shoot i run it hot and just keep firing for 2 to 3 hours and go home. not one failure from brass ammo and once i installed a bcm spring it cycles steel ammo now too. just my story and my two cents

TehLlama
12-05-10, 16:04
If you're willing to start all over,among those three brands my suggestion would be:
BCM Blemished Complete Lower
DD Smartgunner CHF Lightweight Middy with Lite Rail pkg.
BCG (DD, BCM, or Spike's Nitrided)
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
Spike's ST-2 Buffer

On a more modest budget, a Spike's M4LE upper or the DD CHF packages would be a good start - but I'm not the biggest fan of DPMS lower parts kits and fire control groups. The BCM Complete Blem lowers are are great deal, as would be the Palmetto state Armory lowers by Aero with a Daniel Defense or Spike's LPK.

Eric D.
12-05-10, 17:34
Sell off that DPMS shit to fund your new build.

I'd keep the lower and throw in a G&R or DD lpk along with a a mil-spec buffer tube, spring, buffer, and maybe a MOE or CTR stock if you're into those; stake your castle nut. If you're on a budget, go for the spikes upper. I would still highly recommend the BCM BCG

SteveS
12-05-10, 17:48
How does the rifle work??/ It seems to work good, I would buy a complete BCM bolt assembly Not the carrier just the complete bolt. costs around $69.00 and the ?bolt pin? and call it a day. Then the removed bolt assembley and pin can be a spare. The bolt is the heart of the AR.

GLOCKMASTER
12-05-10, 18:26
Please take the time to read through previous threads and you should be able to answer your own question.