PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Lowers?

Armati
08-10-07, 22:17
Ok, so in the wild and wooly world of AR parts, is there any reason not to buy a stripped Bushmaster lower?

My FFL down the street has them and the price is right.

snafu
08-10-07, 22:41
Mostly read here and seldom post..

Seems the major concerns are the way uppers are pieced together.
I have a Bushmaster ,,complete,with a Gov't 1:7 20",,and am VERY satisfied.

I'd build with a Bushmaster lower....

BushmasterFanBoy
08-10-07, 22:54
This has been a point of concern for me as well. Although both of my AR15's are Bushmasters, I've come to terms that BM is not up to par with other comparatively priced AR's. However, I have not heard of any complaints against their lowers. What's the deal with the lowers? Good to go, or are they sub-par? What about their lower parts?

rob_s
08-10-07, 23:08
Nothing wrong with a BM lower.

Robb Jensen
08-11-07, 07:42
Nothing wrong with a BM lower.

Exactly, Their stripped lowers work well. I have 3 of them I bought as stripped. My wife and I both have them on our 3gun rifles. Mine will be replaced with a Sun Devil soon. That said since we're now carrying LMT products I typically buy Stag or LMT lowers for myself.

M4arc
08-11-07, 08:15
IMO their lowers are just fine. I have a couple squirreled away in the safe for a rainy day ;)

C4IGrant
08-11-07, 08:59
I think BM lowers are just fine.

C4

dialM4murder
08-12-07, 00:36
Ive heard stag and RRA lowers are hard to mate to various uppers, ie super tight upper to lower fit. Any truth to this?

ST911
08-12-07, 14:41
Ive heard stag and RRA lowers are hard to mate to various uppers, ie super tight upper to lower fit. Any truth to this?

True for the RRA I've seen. They actually promote their tight fit as more desirable than standard.

Moose
08-12-07, 15:39
I've never seen an issue with a BM lower.

ssmoore
08-12-07, 16:35
Nothing wrong with the upper reciever or barrel on mine either. Most complaints with the bushmaster are with the bcg and the commercial diameter buffer tube and the 1/9 twist. I replaced my bolt and staked the key with a chisel and hammer. Left the stock and buffer tube alone and mine runs great.

Lumpy196
08-14-07, 12:56
You will have low-self esteem for owning on, no matter how good the parts are you add to it.

KDG
08-14-07, 21:37
You will have low-self esteem for owning on, no matter how good the parts are you add to it.

That may be true, but I know many many LE and also someone who uses an issued full auto, actually 3 round burst BM to protect our atomic nuclear reactor powerplants, in fact I was reading his training manual today.

With a little work it seems BM and other brands can be made to work pretty good. Now I know less then about everyone on here but that is one of the reason I bought mine, and am gonna keep it.

For what it's worth I also have a Colt LE6920 which is my GTG, but I still enjoy my BM.

What I like about this site is instead of just beating guys up for owning certain brands and brand wars, you all can identify what weaknesses exist in certain brands and what can be done to improve on it, and 'possiby' make it a reliable weapon that can be counted on.

Ken

dialM4murder
08-14-07, 23:06
That may be true, but I know many many LE and also someone who uses an issued full auto, actually 3 round burst BM to protect our atomic nuclear reactor powerplants, in fact I was reading his training manual today.

With a little work it seems BM and other brands can be made to work pretty good. Now I know less then about everyone on here but that is one of the reason I bought mine, and am gonna keep it.

For what it's worth I also have a Colt LE6920 which is my GTG, but I still enjoy my BM.

What I like about this site is instead of just beating guys up for owning certain brands and brand wars, you all can identify what weaknesses exist in certain brands and what can be done to improve on it, and 'possiby' make it a reliable weapon that can be counted on.

Ken

+1

I wont be buying a Colt or LMT anytime soon, but I've learned what i need to do to make a Stag run well.

Lawdog-1
08-14-07, 23:33
Who sell's Bushmater stripped lowers the cheapest?

ST911
08-15-07, 00:35

The Wack guns were being replaced with Colts, last I knew. Transition still in progress? The reason cited was Bushmaster performance being unsat.

"Pretty good" is fine for some aps, not for others. Use what works for you, just understand the differences.

A couple of my guys have Bushmasters, and they run. They run because of preventative maintenance and the TLC of an ornery, Type-A armorer. :D

What I like about this site is instead of just beating guys up for owning certain brands and brand wars, you all can identify what weaknesses exist in certain brands and what can be done to improve on it, and 'possiby' make it a reliable weapon that can be counted on.Ken

There are differences. Some matter more than others. Some matter to some users more than others. This is a safe place to discuss what might fit you, or how what you have might be made to do so.

C4IGrant
08-15-07, 07:09

Ken

Most LE groups that use BM are doing so because of either the cost (cheap) or because they didn't want to wait for a Colt.

It is true that you can improve a BM with some upgrades, the issue is that your really shouldn't have too. Othe brands like BCM, Colt, LMT and Sabre Defence don't require "fixes" or "upgrades."

No one should care what AR somebody owns. If it fits your needs then great!

C4

KDG
08-15-07, 07:28
"The Wack guns were being replaced with Colts, last I knew. Transition still in progress? The reason cited was Bushmaster performance being unsat. "

That I have no idea. And in some cases I would guess the choice for picking weapon brands is done by some commitee who may pick it for cost issues and not really have any real working knowledge of weapons. Armorers like you would see the issues and know first hand where the problems lie and report back as well as the guys using them. In the case of the fellow I know, who works at the plant and unlike the military guys, his gun only sees action when they do periodic training so problems probably don't show up as fast.

"Pretty good" is fine for some aps, not for others. Use what works for you, just understand the differences"

Point taken. And is the reason I have the Colt. For an out of the box solution without having to do the mods. My point was that the BM or others can be enhanced (as any machine can be)but at a substantial cost over the inital purchase.

As far as the BM lower go, fit and finish looks good, smooth trigger pull and the magazines fit well with no issues at least on the one I have.

ymmv

Ken

KDG
08-15-07, 07:32
"Most LE groups that use BM are doing so because of either the cost (cheap) or because they didn't want to wait for a Colt.

It is true that you can improve a BM with some upgrades, the issue is that your really shouldn't have too. Othe brands like BCM, Colt, LMT and Sabre Defence don't require "fixes" or "upgrades."

No one should care what AR somebody owns. If it fits your needs then great!

C4"

agreed

R Moran
08-15-07, 10:02
The Wack guns were being replaced with Colts, last I knew. Transition still in progress? The reason cited was Bushmaster performance being unsat

FWIW,
Wachenhut probably doesn't own those guns, the power plant owner/operator does. Wachenhut just provides personel.

At least thats the way it was when I worked at one. Same with DOE, the individual site purchases weapons and equipment with DOE funds, regardles of who has the contract to run the site and security.

I wouldn't make a purchase based on what another agency uses, unless you know what went into the decision making process, or have a pretty good guess, based on the org. rep, etc.etc.

Bob

Lumpy196
08-15-07, 10:31

Ken

I was making use of of sarchasm.

I currently have 2 complete Bushmaster rifles that have given me years of problem free service and a third build made with a Bushmaster lower.