PDA

View Full Version : Moving questions

13F3OL7
12-05-10, 18:37
I'll be moving to N.C. next year for work. Just wondering what to expect as far as weather and whether the people are friendly or not. Also what is the state education system like in and around the Fayetteville area and what jobs are around for spouses.

12-05-10, 19:21
Weather for the Fayetteville area: hot as hell in the summer but not really too cold in the winter. Not too cold meaning average highs in the 40's and getting into the teens would be rare. Snow once in a while, but not often. People are generally nice and the family shouldn't have any prob. making quality friends.

Campbell Univ. and UNC-Pembroke both around 30min. away. Public schools are decent, several good private schools to choose from. As far as the public schools go, if one did well in one, they wouldn't have a prob. getting into UNC-Chapel Hill, NC State, ECU, App. State, etc. NC has excellent college resources.

Good, affordable housing if you like to be more rural. Some beautiful country in the area. Flat, but nice areas can be found.

Don't forget, great training in the area: TigerSwan and Viking Tactics. TigerSwan's new training center is awesome.

13F3OL7
12-05-10, 19:55
My kids are still in grade school, so I'm not too worried about college right now. Mainly just want to make sure they won't have to deal with other school kids pushing drugs and other nasty shit. The oldest is attending kindergarten at the local Catholic school, and I'd like to keep that up, but it's up to household 6 whether that happens.

The further out in the sticks the better, but, again I have a wife and if she's not happy no one is. If it was up to me I'd have a house out towards the hills where I currently am. I prefer not to live around a lot of other people and am perfectly happy living 8 hours from the biggest city in the state.

The training crossed my mind, but I have close to 10 months of schooling before I can really think about attending anything.

citizensoldier16
12-05-10, 23:00
I'm near Raleigh, but check out the Southern Pines or Aberdeen area if you don't mind a commute around Ft. Bragg. Fayetteville is the hotest area in the state during the summer, but very nice in the winter. You're close to the beach and not too far away from the mountains or even the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. I'd stay away from Sampson County (Clinton) altogether.

Plenty of good gun stores in Fayetteville too, being its basically a military base. Good quality people, knowledgeable staff, and good kit offered.

Welcome to NC!