PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell a firearm?

Hoss356
12-05-10, 20:52
What's the best way to sell an AR quick? I've never even thought about selling any of my firearms but I need money very fast. I've got about $2600 invested into a custom build AR15 and I need to know how much these depreciate? And how low would I have to go to sell it quick?

Other than FTF, what are the logistics of mailing from FFL to FFL? What is an average cost to ship an AR15? Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify some of this for me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-05-10, 21:02
Stats on the AR please.

Sometimes its easier to sell parts rather than a full gun. Uppers dont require FFL, and neither do HGs, stocks, etc. Only the lower.

Palmguy
12-05-10, 21:03
It'd probably cost you in the neighborhood of $30 to ship an AR via USPS Priority Mail with insurance.

As far as depreciation, I agree with LSHD...specs are needed. It would depend on how justified your initial investment was.

ucrt
12-05-10, 21:11
Sorry you have to sell a gun.

The main factor in "selling quick" is "pricing low". Like the others have said, we need make, specs on customization, etc. to assist with pricing.

To not get your hopes up, $1000 of accessories do not make an AR "customized" and accessories depreciate much greater than a top tier AR. This is a common mistake.

Good luck!

500grains
12-05-10, 21:24
I will be the guy to bear the bad news. 50% to 75% of what you put into a custom gun is often what it is worth. But as others indicated above, take all the accessories off (like scope, mounts, flashlight, etc.) and sell them separately. Then you may want to separate upper from lower, or even break down the upper simply because it tends to be hard to find a guy who wants exactly the same custom rifle that you built for yourself.

cj5_dude
12-05-10, 21:27
The fastest way to sell it ----> Pawn Shop
The most money---> Find someone who understands it's value. Could be quick could be never.

Hoss356
12-05-10, 21:39
The weapon consists of the following;

Lower: POF gen 1 w/ Magpul Bad lever
Trigger: Geissele SSA
Grip: Magpul MIAD
Buffer and tube: standard mil spec car lenth
Buttstock: LMT SOPMOD
Upper: CMMG, hand picked to mate solidly with the POF lower
Barrel: Noveske 16" SS 7PT 5.56mm
Flash Hider: YHM Phantom
Bolt carrier: Les Baer National Match
Bolt: CMT
Rail: Daniel Defense 12" lite rail
BUIS: Troy
Charging handle: CMT w/ PRI big latch
VFG: Knights Armory

Eric D.
12-05-10, 21:53
You can sell to an ffl anywhere in the country. You can only sell to a private person within your state so long as they aren't legally barred from firearm ownership.

Pawn shop won't give you shit for money. Gun show. I sold my maverick 88 within minutes of walking in the door and a BM upper within an hour or two. The problem with customization is that it what YOU want, someone else may not. If you have your stock parts, I would strip it down and get it as "stock" as possible then sell off your parts on this site. If its a good rifle, talk it up to potential buyers, think used car salesman. Give them a quick spiel on why its worth the extra cash, show them differences between your rifle and "others" at the show. As far as price, come up with the lowest number you'd take then increase it by 50% - this will be your asking price. Its all heckling from there.

Militant83
12-05-10, 22:52
I would say to recover the most possible and get money coming in quick as possible you would be best parting some of it out. If you part it out the only thing you have to worry about transferring through an FFL is the lower. you don't have to break it down into every little part. Just break it down to major groups. Sell the lower as a complete lower, complete upper, accessories you can sell individually. Ive had the best results listing in forums. Someones always looking for something for a build or just a back up piece. But also keep in mind you are not going to get what you paid for them. So prepare to lose some money on the deal

azlester
12-06-10, 10:51
Yep, part that baby out.
"The sum of the parts is greater then the whole."
List the parts here on M4 in the equipment exchange as well as on any other gun sites that you may belong to. Most have a classified section that lets you list items for sale for free.

BBJones13
12-06-10, 11:35
FYI - you are not going to get anywhere near $2k for that, even parted out and priced properly. The higher your price the slower the sale.

500grains
12-06-10, 11:59
My guess is 400 for the lower and 800 to 1000 for the upper. Just a guess.

Bimmer
12-06-10, 12:03
What's the best way to sell an AR quick?

And how low would I have to go to sell it quick?

Gunbroker.

Do a one-week (standard) auction. If you set the reserve/starting bid low enough, then you're sure to sell the gun within a week, and the market will bid up the price to whatever it'll bear.

I just sold an old shotgun this way, and I was astounded at how easy it was and how much I sold it for.

I'm not sure of the rules in the EE here, but most forums don't seem to mind if you post a "For Sale" ad and provide a link to your Gunbroker auction.

Other than FTF, what are the logistics of mailing from FFL to FFL?

Just to be clear, you don't need to send a long gun FROM an FFL, you only need to send it TO an FFL.

A private seller (you) can simply take a rifle (unloaded and boxed, please!) to the post office and mail it.

To do it right, declare that you're shipping a long gun, and bring a roll of tape with you in case the mailman wants to inspect it before receiving it (so that you can seal the box up afterwards).

Bimmer

ASH556
12-06-10, 12:38
The weapon consists of the following;

Lower: POF gen 1 w/ Magpul Bad lever - $100
Trigger: Geissele SSA - $125
Grip: Magpul MIAD - $25
Buffer and tube: standard mil spec car lenth - $15
Buttstock: LMT SOPMOD - $110
Upper: CMMG, hand picked to mate solidly with the POF lower - $75
Barrel: Noveske 16" SS 7PT 5.56mm - $325 (Depending upon rnd ct)
Flash Hider: YHM Phantom (incl w/ barrel or $5)
Bolt carrier: Les Baer National Match ($115)
Bolt: CMT (Incl. w/barrel)
Rail: Daniel Defense 12" lite rail ($250)
BUIS: Troy ($150 for both)
Charging handle: CMT w/ PRI big latch ($30)
VFG: Knights Armory($20)

I'm in the middle of a personal firearms updating process, and I just went through the process of selling a "badass custom gun." Like folks here have told you, it will work better to part it out. I sat on my complete gun for a month and a half with no bids. Once I offered the individual parts, it was gone in a week. Above is my estimate of what your items are worth right now, based upon watching the EE's on here and TOS for the last month and a half. YMMV and no offense intended if it does.

Longhunter
12-06-10, 17:43
in your local ad taker, surely you have a weekly paper like we do here in SE Ohio, "The Bulletin Board" it's free in this one and it's been great for me to sell all sorts of stuff, and bought some pretty good stuff also... Supermatch M1a for $1400, yee hah!

get all the add ons off and sell them like you been advised seperately.

markm
12-06-10, 17:48
Has COSTA ever held it? That brings the value up dramatically.

liberty057
12-07-10, 09:06
I've sold several guns on gunbroker. They do take a small cut and you should price it right if you want it to move, but I've have good luck. Remember to charge an appropriate amount for shipping.. Long guns can be shipped affordably via UPS Ground, but handguns must go Next-Day Air, which is quite pricey.

hellbound
12-07-10, 09:40
right now the market is flooded with AR parts and complete rifles.

in the past few years, everyone has become a "custom" builder. What's "custom" for you maybe junk to someone else. It's going to be a hard sell unless your rifle was built by a reputable manufacturer and even then once the rifle is shot it loses quite a bit of value.

FWIW, the only parts that I really see holding their value are the Geissele SSA, DD Lite Rail, and the Troy BUIS. The rest is pretty run of the mill stuff. As for the Noveske barrel, you're going to need to post round counts, clear pictures of the chamber, bore, and crown, and any other maintenance information to build a buyer's confidence.

good luck!

devinsdad
12-07-10, 14:14
I have found, that the only guns that hold their value, are the ones built by a manufacturer. The modularity of the AR is it's downfall. What other rifle other than AR's and AK's do people put together in their garage? Something to be said about factory builds.

SOF1971
12-09-10, 16:20
If you have a "limited edition" with some important guys name on it no problem, but home builds are everywhere now and like everyone else has said, you would probably get more return by parting it out cause alot of people are building the guns to how they want it now days.