PDA

View Full Version : Winter time bug out gear

l3mon
12-06-10, 07:44
Now that winter is hitting us. What are you throwing in your bug out bags to stay warm and toasty?

My additions are as follows:
-beanie
-gloves
-baclava
-gor-Tex
-fleece
-few hand warmers are in the works too

Naxet1959
12-06-10, 09:29
Wool socks; 1/2 pint of whiskey; combat boots, waterproof; field jacket with liner

Dave L.
12-06-10, 09:43
1. Gore-Tex Parka
2. Gore-Tex Over-Pants
3. Jacket (Prima-Loft)
4. Jacket (Fleece)
5. Mittens (Insulated)
6. Socks (Heavyweight Smart Wool)
7. Socks (Gore-Tex)
8. Sleeping Bag (Snugpak Softie Elite 3)
9. Sleeping Pad (Therma-Rest)
10. Gore-Tex Bivy-Bag
11. Hatchet/Axe
12. Jet Boil (Melting Snow)
13. Fleece Beanie

I realize this is over-kill. It's a whole other bag too.

l3mon
12-06-10, 10:03
Thats not a bad idea to do another bag for winter gear tho, then you can grab it or not. Plus I feel that having winter clothes available in summer isn't a bad idea seeing as you never know how long you'll be away.

Dave L.
12-06-10, 10:17
Thats not a bad idea to do another bag for winter gear tho, then you can grab it or not. Plus I feel that having winter clothes available in summer isn't a bad idea seeing as you never know how long you'll be away.

Yeah, I like to leave my main kit alone. I just think it's easier to add another bag. Besides, in winter, chances are you are already wearing boots and a decent jacket. You may however, have a passenger who's dressed more for a stripper pole than a cold night stuck in a ditch.

556mp
12-06-10, 12:40
Yeah, I like to leave my main kit alone. I just think it's easier to add another bag. Besides, in winter, chances are you are already wearing boots and a decent jacket. You may however, have a passenger who's dressed more for a stripper pole than a cold night stuck in a ditch.

I spit my coffee on my monitor when I read this. Reminded me of the lady I went out with last weekend...

Back on topic though, I just leave a set of carhartt type coveralls along with gloves and a hat in my trunk during the winter months. And a hatchet, saw, knife, and a small packing stove along with some other small items.

MSP "Sarge"
12-07-10, 00:20
556 hahahahaha

luckybychoice
03-25-11, 18:50
to the party but,I have added a pair of snowshoes to my winter gear bag http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/snowshoes/category I have the TREKs,very light weight,yet very durable.They have a lifetime warranty when purchased from REI at a cost of about 150 bucks.I am in the snow a lot,and walking thru the snow is a lot easier with snowshoes.REI also rents snowshoes,i did rent the ASCENTS,but they are spendy at 250.00.

Naxet1959
03-26-11, 09:22

This is what I have: a totally separate bag that has the heavy winter items in it and they are staged for me being able to change by pulling out what I need first. My premise is that I travel almost weekly (driving) so if something happened while on the road, I can change into this gear and add to my pack those items from my regular suitcase into the bug out pack. So the top of the bag contains the long johns top and bottom, the socks and then next down comes the artic pants, shirts, then the heavy coat, mittens and boots.

When we get closer to Summer, I take out the artic bag for the next winter...

Tortuga
04-07-11, 19:26
12. Jet Boil (Melting Snow)

Use caution with relying on Jet Boil and other canister stoves for winter ops. They can be tempermental and unreliable in extreme cold. It can be mitigated a little with cold formula fuel, keeping the bottle close to the body and warm until use...but for the most part, a white gas stove with be more reliable when the thermometer drops. The added bonus of a stove like a Whisperlite Intl is the ability to use numerous fuels, not just a disposible mixed-fuel canister.

We store our canister stoves away for the winter, the convenience isn't worth the reliability issues when you have someone Hyp'ing out or need a water generator for 2-4 hours to fill up an entire team.