PDA

View Full Version : Need rail ideas

Dfarmer786
12-06-10, 15:55
I'm going to order a freefloat rail this week for myself for Xmas :) anyway I'm torn between a Troy trx extreme in black or fde. And I need help on whether to get a 11" or 13" and also which gas block to get. Right now mine is carbine length with fde imod clubfoot, fde magpul grip and handguard and afg

Eric D.
12-06-10, 16:13
Troy makes their own low-pro gas block that works with their rails, just go with that. As far as length and color a longer rail gives you more real estate, color is up to you. Its a matter of opinion - YOUR opinion.

Enoc
12-06-10, 16:36
Just curios, have you tried the Vtac vs the TROY? I was goin to get the TROY but then when I tried the Vtac it was a much better feel for me.
Sounds like it's going to be a great setup though. Love the clubfoot imod.

Dfarmer786
12-06-10, 18:11
I've thought about both but I don't have anywhere around here to actually hold them and compare. I'd choose the Troy because of the color option other than that it's holes vs slots I like them both :(

maxniman
12-06-10, 19:24
I have a mid length and just ordered the black Troy TRX Extreme in 11" and the troy low profile gas block. I preferred holes over slots - I believe it also weighs a bit less. It replaces the OE 9" handguard rails and the front sight/gas block

ra2bach
12-06-10, 19:34
I have an 11" Troy in FDE. the color is nice. it splits the difference between the Vltor Emod stock and Magpul MIAD grip.

at first I was worried about the "cheesegrater" effect of the holes that some people had questioned but I don't find it at all offensive. in fact, I don't need to use any type of VFG with this rail.

the Troy is a little lighter than the Vtac as well...

Dfarmer786
12-07-10, 13:51
Any pics? Ra2bach?

Militant83
12-07-10, 14:02
+1 on the troy gas block. Get whatever color you like. As far as length would depend on what size barrel you are putting it on. If your running a 16" barrel I like the 12 or 13" handguard. Gives me more room to position a hand stop where its more comfortable for me and place other accessories where they are comfortable for me to use. If your trying to keep the rifle light as possible and don't have the need for a long rail go with 11" or shorter.

In the end its all about personal preference on your end. Get what you want .

Skang
12-07-10, 14:35
i like look of 13" on 16" barrel.

But if you don't grip far forward, no need for extra weight.

RogerinTPA
12-07-10, 21:02
Troy/VTAC or DD Lite rail 12".

SOF1971
12-09-10, 16:16
It's all about what you find looks and functions how you want and what you're going to add to the rail, too many options to list.