PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying an AR15

Jimston
12-06-10, 20:08
so i came across an AR15 with a 20" inch barrel, triangular shaped hand guard. It also had a huge muzzle compensator that seems a bit unusual. It has a 1 in 7 twist rate.

It also comes with a plastic hand guard which the previous owner also traded in with the rifle. It has the usual characteristics of any modern AR15, but I'm not sure of the model or type. I do have the serial number, but i doubt posting it online would be a good deal.

I put down a 50$ deposit so that they would hold onto it for me. if i decide i don't want the rifle or any reason, they will give me a refund and let me purchase something else.

The total price is 900 + 54$ in tax. it comes with a 4 x 32 scope, 2 20 rnd mags, 2 point sling, and original manual plus cleaning kit, lube and case. it seemed like a great deal.

They allowed me to fire 2 mags worth of wolf ammo in their indoor range and it performed flawlessly.

Whats nice is that it comes with two different hand guards(plastic and fiberglass?, the scope, 2 mags, manual and a load of other stuff.

I live in Ct. Maybe i should give colt a call.

Quiet-Matt
12-06-10, 20:13
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Redhat
12-06-10, 20:18
Did you see a manufacturer name on it anywhere?

Jimston
12-06-10, 20:21
I don't have a picture right now, so I'm sorry about that. I could post a link as to something similar, but I'm not sure it will do any help. The thing that sets is apart is the fiberglass hand guard. I'll try to do better with a pic.

It's a Match Target model w/ Fiberglass stock and Muzzle compensator. Not sure as to what kind of Muzzle compensator it is, but it's pretty big. It has 3-4 grooved throughout it's length. It has A2 style carry handle and sights, and it is not detachable.

I won't know more until Wednesday.

Jimston
12-06-10, 20:21
Did you see a manufacturer name on it anywhere?

Sorry, it's a Colt

Jimston
12-06-10, 20:22
Colt Match Target 5.56

Redhat
12-06-10, 20:26
Well that's a start. A2's have fixed carry handles. Triangle handguards could be the previous owner's preference...I suppose although I personally wouldn't go for that. Check the handguard end cap up by the front sight...is it round or triangle shaped?

Jimston
12-06-10, 20:38
It looked to be triangular shaped to me. It's not preban and is a match target model. 1 in 7 twist. I wish i had more time to check it out. It seems to match the specs and looks of a Colt Match target 6601. It's pretty heavy too. Very thick barrel. The charging handle had a little latch on it that hand to be pushed down in order to be able to pull it back. But that is probibly stand on AR's? I'm no expert here.

Jimston
12-06-10, 20:40
The serial number starts with CMH. Not sure i should say more?

EDIT - It looks like CMH serial stands for Colt Match Target Hbar, which could be a 6601 or 6601C. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two models?

Jimston
12-06-10, 21:40
Please lock this, i identified the rifle and made another tread. Thx.