PDA

View Full Version : Photographers and guns, specifically the AR

rob_s
12-07-10, 11:01
This is NOT meant as a derogatory post, honestly.

Of late there seems to be a huge influx of photographers into this forum and others, as indicated by the quality of the photos in the picture threads as well as the tendency of some of them to perhaps over-post pics of their new rifles a bit. :D

I'm just curious to know if there has been some trigger in the photography world/circles that has inspired this interest in firearms from that segment, especially since my interactions with that profession have indicated to me a strong leftward leaning, if only due to the self-employment aspect generating a desire for government benefits and an education in the art schools that tend to instill their lefty beliefs.

So is it just coincidence? A trend that's popped up in the photography world? A trend that's happening nation-wide and the photographers are just more noticeable due to their nature and therefore inclination towards photographs of such a quality that draws attention to them as a group?

Boss Hogg
12-07-10, 11:10
An opportunity to make money? Perhaps they're bored with people, cars, and landscapes?

Hmac
12-07-10, 11:36
I wouldn't have thought to use M4C as a any kind of barometer for real life. I suspect you're seeing more photographs because there are more members, along with more, better, and cheaper cameras on the market, along with the bar for such photographs being set relatively high by stickman. His photos have become something of a component of the firearms enthusiast community.

Skyyr
12-07-10, 11:40
I wouldn't have thought to use M4C as a any kind of barometer for real life. I suspect you're seeing more photographs because there are more members, along with more, better, and cheaper cameras on the market, along with the bar for such photographs being set relatively high by stickman. His photos have become something of a component of the firearms enthusiast community.

This.

Seeing many pictures of guns on a gun forum is about abnormal as seeing car photos on a car forum or glamor magazines in a beauty salon. Cheaper, more accessible cameras only exacerbate the frequency of them.

rob_s
12-07-10, 12:10
I'm not talking about someone like Stickman, who for those that don't know was a cop who started taking pictures of his cop tools (guns). I remember his first picture posts on ar15.com many moons ago and his excellent photo-tutorial on how to use Norrells Moly Resin as being one of his first real breakout performances. I've also seen his presentation grow and turn into what it is today and his work is phenomenal.

I'm talking about the reverse. People that appear to be starting out on the photography side and then coming to the guns. These are usually betrayed by watermarks that correspond to websites for photography studios, etc.

There is a distinct difference between the two.

Honu
12-07-10, 13:05
at least for me I am seeing some good amateur photographers but not really seeing pros ? but like posted the few that have studio watermarks I have seen are not what I call pros (a few are good) but more starting pros or people trying to become a photographer ?
this is not a cut either its just what I see as someone who makes my living with a camera and has for a long time :)
a lot of people make some side money but dont rely on it for a living ?
their are a few stickman that became good photographers but they are few inbetween

I know this sounds harsh but its how I see it :) and again its cool and all for it and as long as they love what they shoot thats cool and again I am coming from a whole dif angle of what is good work cause of my background :)

the influx of digital and the love of photography then people getting new SLR gear since the prices are now affordable is more what I see ?

I am a photographer and involved with photographers and have a post production company that works only with Pro Photographers and we have about 300 clients so am pretty in touch and can say %95 or more of them are very left wing still ?

I bet good pics by people like Stickman have also been whats motivated some to get better for sure !!!

I bet that %5 or so though might start coming here :) so if we see some the same reason I came here from some other gun forum was the professional and nice people without all the stupid BS

DPReview is kinda like the other gun forum full of bull with a small bit of OK stuff and a very small amount of great stuff
this forum is mostly great stuff a small amount of OK stuff and very little bull when it comes to gear

their are some good pro photographer forums you have to be invited to or have been around long enough to know about some are pay like $100 a year which keeps away the non pros

so the few pros that might find this most likely are used to the pro photographer forums that are much like this place really good info with a small amount of noise

Mac5.56
12-07-10, 13:07
My honest belief is that AR's are a lot like photography equipment, in that they draw in a lot of people with too much money on their hands and nothing better to spend it on. Chances are Rob, all you are seeing is that there are a lot of AR owners that also have a photography hobby. Very few of the photos I see on here make me think this is any sort of "industry trend" within the photography world.

I say all of this realizing that I may actually be included in your initial assessment, but since my photos are in museum collections and galleries around the world, I don't feel a need to apologize for my profession (nor do I feel a need to constantly re-post them on internet forums for validation of my "talent" ((whatever that is))).

Your just seeing people playing with their cameras and their guns rather then going to the range... :)

Titleist
12-07-10, 13:11
I just apply one skillset to another hobby. I get to merge my day job with another passion. Simple as that.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-07-10, 18:11
The old joke is that photography is art for frustrated chemists, and now that we have moved away from wet chemistry, the computer geeks now have an artistic outlet.

Photography is art for people with no artistic skill, but a good understanding things mechanical. That would coincide with people drawn to guns for their mechanical nature.

I also am a member at some photography sites, and I am surprised at how many right wing guys are into photography.

120mm
12-07-10, 20:57
I think it is a mistake to equate artistry with a certain political belief.

While in our current American culture, it is considered as "turning in your Man Card" to express an appreciation of art, I think more politically conservative and testosterone-rich men are capable of reflecting passion through art.

Unfortunately, they often suppress it, to avoid being identified as a left-wing pussy. Which is understandable.

Personally, I think the idea that you need to be gay/effeminate and politically lefty to be artistic is wrong-headed. In fact, I think the leftist concentration in the arts has led to bad art. The problem with leftist art, is that the current rage is for instant self-gratification and expediency among the political left, so art is reduced to shit smeared on paper. These same talent-less hacks are the ones that seem to need to ingest mind-altering substances to fool themselves that they actually have talent.

If photographing guns is an excuse for more politically and socially conservative artists to come forth, I'm all for it.

Hmac
12-07-10, 21:56
People that appear to be starting out on the photography side and then coming to the guns. These are usually betrayed by watermarks that correspond to websites for photography studios, etc.

Nah. I don't see it.

But I could be wrong.

TehLlama
12-07-10, 22:33
This is simple, and my explanation is an often repeated phrase in my house:

I blame Stick and Titliest.

The availability of quality, affordable SLR cameras and knowledge about how to make consistently good shots being disseminated is a big part, not so much that there are more professional photogs working ARs as much as an increase in pretty high quality amateur images coming from AR enthusiasts.

M4Fundi
12-08-10, 00:07
My ex-girlfriend who is a documentary filmmaker and very leftwing is now shooting IDPA and taking carbine classes in Kalifornia and proudly posting it on Facebook. Another female film producer I know who is a mixed race, bisexual swinger and VERY leftwing is now into combat shooting, etc. I think after the near economic crash and movies/books like The Road, etc. made many lefties realize they need to atleast know how to shoot and after a little shooting they learned they really like it :D

Honu
12-08-10, 00:42
Photography is art for people with no artistic skill, but a good understanding things mechanical. That would coincide with people drawn to guns for their mechanical nature.

you describing yourself ?

I know some amazing artists that use a camera as their outlet
many might be that way you describe but they are not pros by any means this is like me saying I am as good as LV ! cause I have the same tools he uses and read a lot on the interwrong :)

some know nothing about mechanical things and cant seem to grasp things yet are amazing
photography is about seeing light and angles
Architecture photography is about angles and making things look good and might be more technical
weddings are about personal skills ! you could be mechanical and great but suck at wedding work !!! cause if you have no personal skills you wont make it very far
studio work is a whole dif thing again
guys that shoot one thing cant always transition well to another while some can
the one thing is you can teach the camera workings but you cant teach how to see light which is the key to great photography
some get it over time some never get it !!!!

being a great photographer is like being great at anything you can practice all you want but some never get past a point

golf or driving or shooting or name anything photography is no different :)

orionz06
12-08-10, 08:58
They are both technical and often times those who get geeky about things can excel in certain areas.

You also have this same fascination with flashlights, watches, and guitars.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-08-10, 10:32
They are both technical and often times those who get geeky about things can excel in certain areas.

You also have this same fascination with flashlights, watches, and guitars.

Flashlights, check.
Watches, check.
Guitars, not yet. ;)
Pens, power tools, and never buying things at Home Depot for their actual use- but to Jerry Rig it for something else.

M4Fundi- How come you never bring the second woman to matches?? Had to ask.

Honu
12-08-10, 11:08
whats funny is when I am shooting a job I often get geek questions about my gear ?

my common response to them is do you go to a great restaurant and ask the chef what pans he is using !!!!

but then go into the gear a bit with them and try to educate them not to get hung up on gear :)

orionz06
12-08-10, 11:12
whats funny is when I am shooting a job I often get geek questions about my gear ?

my common response to them is do you go to a great restaurant and ask the chef what pans he is using !!!!

but then go into the gear a bit with them and try to educate them not to get hung up on gear :)

It goes in stages... There was a time I thought I needed a FF camera and L lenses to take pics. I am still using an XTi with non-L lenses and taking the pictures I need just fine. The learning experience has even shown me my two previous cameras are far more capable than I ever knew them to be.

Mac5.56
12-08-10, 11:15
My ex-girlfriend who is a documentary filmmaker and very leftwing is now shooting IDPA and taking carbine classes in Kalifornia and proudly posting it on Facebook. Another female film producer I know who is a mixed race, bisexual swinger and VERY leftwing is now into combat shooting, etc. I think after the near economic crash and movies/books like The Road, etc. made many lefties realize they need to atleast know how to shoot and after a little shooting they learned they really like it :D

Shut your mouth man. There is only one kind of gun owner in the world! How dare you post an example to attempt to prove otherwise.

Titleist
12-08-10, 11:28
This is simple, and my explanation is an often repeated phrase in my house:

I blame Stick and Titliest.

Hey, the fact that I'm in the same sentence as Stick is a huge honor. I'm always looking at what he's doing as a challenge to up my game. Between his work and meeting ichiro nagata this fall it was a huge challenge for me to up my game. I just do this for fun on the side.

I find guns to be challenging, we all know they look cool, but as very flat objects capturing them with any depth or range is a real challenge to do right.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-08-10, 13:53
I think there are a lot of fundamentals that transfer over. I took my breathing control and bone-on-bone support from high-power shooting and use in photography.

I think the ability to move in relation to a subject to get the right perspective and cropping would come in handy for a sniper getting into the best position for a shot.

I think the must under-rated photographer here is Travis Haley. He borrowed my camera during classes and he definitely has skills, especially when it comes to getting interesting framing. USMC03 definitely has an eye for dramatic shots. I just use my flinch to capture action shots ;)

LMTRocks
12-09-10, 11:22
The experience I had with a camera is hardly what I would call professional at my end, since I'm still using a 3.1MP Olympus I bought in 2004. Several things I did with myself prior to becoming interested in firearms were basically due to my environments. At church I was a weekend praise team musician who was shown how to construct electric guitars. I made a few for myself. They're not for sale :) I also played out as a local musician and did so much that it wasn't uncommon to go make as much on the weekend as I did at my fulltime job. I enjoyed backpacking, and thus I spent perhaps 2000 hours in the wilderness over the course of 3 years doing rock climbing, backpacking, dayhiking, hunting, and that also led to some photography. The point I discovered I enjoyed firearms I started trying to find information on them by this wonderful thing we call Google. And of course, Stick's ability to show off :sarcastic: made me a black rifle enthusiast. Was I photographer before firearms? Perhaps. I had a camera and a few shots that really made people smile in my "vault" but nothing what I would call extraordinary. And since the internet isn't slowing down from the expanse of photography, why not more?