PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wood stocks?

Skyyr
12-07-10, 11:37
I've heard various opinions on how to take care of wood gun stocks.

Some people say to use household polishes (like Pledge), others say that anything with silicon (i.e. most household polishes) will replace the natural finish in the wood. Some say to use natural oils, others say to simply use soap and water.

There seems to be absolutely no standard in caring for stained wood stock.

I've got a Marlin 336 that's 11 years old and would like to make sure the stock stays in as-new condition. Any professional/experienced suggestions in the matter would be appreciated.

Mac5.56
12-07-10, 13:20
I'll second your request. Funny too I have the same gun, but it's around 40 years old. These last two hunting seasons have seen the fore grip get a little run down. I bought some "gun stock wax" I'm going to apply it after the season, but it's looking like it may need to be refinished.

Any advice guys???

Gutshot John
12-07-10, 13:23
My dad used Murphy's Oil Soap for years, I've had no reason to question his method.

THCDDM4
12-07-10, 15:43
I've always used hand soap and water first (Mixed with equal parts patience); you'd be surprised how well the simple stuff works most of the time. Then I move to scrubbing bubbles; yep the ones used to clean the bathtubs & shitters; it works very well. If that doesn't work I will move up to acetone, and use just amsall amount at first and then go bigger if necessary.

I think a more important aspect of cleaning a wood stock/rifle is what type of wood it is, the finish (Newer rifles have urethane coatings) if it is laminate what type of glue was used.

Another thing to consider is if the stock is integral to the accuracy of the rifle, like a garand.

A good trick to getting out dings and dents is to place a wet cloth in between the wood and a clothes iron and move the clothes iron around quite a bit; never staying too long in the same area, it will raise the dings/dents/scratches from the surface and they will essentially/mostly go away with enough back and forth of the iron.

Good luck!

citizensoldier16
12-07-10, 18:20
I've also used Murphy's Oil Soap for years on my field-use Remington 870 Express. It has served me well through almost 12 years of upland bird hunting as well as duck and goose. It's taken at least 4 dumps into icy waters and comes out looking unscathed.