PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 1911, advise please

tinman44
08-11-07, 14:59
so i'm in the market for a 1911 i like the kimbers but i want a colt so bad. so if anyone can give me a little advice it would be helpful in my search. so basically all i want is a 1911 with the option to upgrade or alter. most colts are basic models opposed to some kimber models that seam to be upgraded at close to same price. i was considering this model
https://www.policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_253&products_id=4823&osCsid=0f2dc5fb06696f8dc37ce3182f812440
but i want a 1911 with a rail to mount a light, however i dont see any colts like this. can i get this particular colt modified or is there not enough steel to make a rail, also what kind of damage would this do to the finish could a gunsmith make it look factory? i have seen a colt modified in an earlier post and considered using them for checkered front strap on the grip and maybe the back strap, maybe more. anyways some thoughts please, and no i didnt do allot of searching of threads the searching i did do didnt really talk much about what kind of altering you can do with colt 1911. i know allot of people build 1911s but i kinda wanna get a basic model and just change out a few parts.

John_Wayne777
08-11-07, 19:22
so i'm in the market for a 1911 i like the kimbers but i want a colt so bad. so if anyone can give me a little advice it would be helpful in my search. so basically all i want is a 1911 with the option to upgrade or alter. most colts are basic models opposed to some kimber models that seam to be upgraded at close to same price. i was considering this model
https://www.policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_253&products_id=4823&osCsid=0f2dc5fb06696f8dc37ce3182f812440

There are some bona-fide experts on the 1911 on this site, and I am not one of them....

Still, from what I understand Colt's recently produced 1911s are excellent quality firearms that make dandy bases for customization. The Gunsite model you referenced is likely going to be a very good pistol.

but i want a 1911 with a rail to mount a light, however i dont see any colts like this. can i get this particular colt modified or is there not enough steel to make a rail, also what kind of damage would this do to the finish could a gunsmith make it look factory?

A rail can indeed be added to a stock 1911 if you choose to do so....the best option out there is probably the Dawson Precision rail:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/023-001.jpg

The frame is permanently modified, but the plus side of the Dawson rail is that it is so low profile it will fit into a lot of standard 1911 holsters. (Without the light attached, of course...)

i have seen a colt modified in an earlier post and considered using them for checkered front strap on the grip and maybe the back strap, maybe more.

My personal experience with checkered front straps is that they are a bad idea. My Les Baer has front strap checkering and every time I take a handgun course with it I end up taping up my fingers like some sort of super-hi-speed tactical mummy to keep my skin from being ripped off. It's okay for a couple of hundred rounds....but in a 5 day 3,000 round course the checkering can literally start to tear your skin off as I found out first hand.

Masterfully done checkering is indeed beautiful, but in my experience it hasn't helped me to control the weapon. A good set of grips will be more than adequate to help you hold on to the weapon and control it even when it is wet/muddy/bloody/etc. Checkering tends to trap dirt and tends to get damaged when you carry the gun daily.

That's my personal experience, so it's worth about half of what you paid for it. I believe Pat Rogers is also not a big fan of frontstrap checkering for some of the same reasons.

didnt really talk much about what kind of altering you can do with colt 1911.

The sky is the limit. You can find gunsmiths who will perform a couple of basic functions for you, or you can have them take the weapon and turn it into a fine example of the gunmaker's art. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Just about anything you want to do to a 1911 can be done and done well by the better gunsmiths out there.

i know allot of people build 1911s but i kinda wanna get a basic model and just change out a few parts.

If you are considering the previously quoted Gunsite pistol, it doesn't look to me like it would need any work done to be good to go.

If you wanted to go the basic 1911 route (like buying a new production Colt 70 series) and then have it modded for you, here's what I would get done were I to go that route in no particular order:

1. Sights. A good set of sights is absolutely necessary. Heinie, Novak....Whatever you like best. The newer production Colts are coming with functional sights, but I would still recommend an upgrade.

2. Beavertail safety. Personally I suffer from hammer bite on stock GI 1911s and the stock GI grip safety cuts my hands to pieces. Even after I soften the edges of the hammer and the GI safety with a dremel to eliminate bite and the cuts I get, I still find the standard GI setup doesn't fit my hand well. The beavertail safeties with the bump on the bottom, however, work splendidly for me and allow for positive engagement whenever I take a firing grip.

3. Reliability package. The newer Colts run from the factory with hollowpoints, but a reliability job is usually fairly inexpensive. It's cheap insurance, in my opinion.

4. Trigger. A good trigger is the main reason the 1911 is so darn easy to shoot well. A good service quality trigger job (in the 4 to 5 pound range) is worth it if the stock trigger isn't to your liking. I also find the longer triggers to be a much better fit for my hand than the stock short GI trigger.

If I had some money left over in the budget, I would also consider getting a bar-stock plunger tube installed.

My go-to 1911:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/mini-Les.jpg?t=1186877265

It's been a superb weapon. The only thing I would do different is skipping the front strap checkering and getting an all blued gun.

the1911fan
08-11-07, 20:55
I like this one of my collection. It's a Colt series 70 re-issue that has some minor mods which I felt were suitable for a duty gun. Has the Novak rail, S&A magwell, Novak Trijicon night sight up front, CT laser grips, and nice tight EGW bushing (still can remove by hand tho). The MSH is 20 LPI and the frontstrap is factory smooth.

Oh yeah Novak did a reliability job on it while they had it.

BTW in about 2-3 weeks this puppy will be for sale sans the X200 and CT grips.
Going back to the G19 for duty gun:eek: .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/6285108/ready003.jpg

SGB
08-12-07, 16:57
The Colt Gunsite is a fine 1911, especially as Colt no longer makes it. You can of course have a rail installed, there are several fine after market rails that can be professionally attached to it.

The Kimber Warrior and the Springfield MC Operator are also fine 1911s which will fill your need. I personally chose the Warrior as I found one for $850, many good quality holsters can be found now for 1911s with rails.

Front strap checkering is a personal taste, some like it some don't. I myself like it although I don't find it necassary to have in order to maintain a good grip or shoot well.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/989537/Warrior1.jpg

R Moran
08-12-07, 22:37
Welocme to the world of custom 1911's, good luck.

First, there is ALOT of good info on 10-8 forums, and 10-8performance(Hilton Yams site) he has a few articles on there that are a good start for research.

First, you should decide what you want, and how much you can/want to spend. In the end, its probably cheaper, and easier to purchase one of the semi-custom/low production gusn from the the likes of Nighthawk.Ed Brown/Wilson etc.

I have a couple of custom Colts, and if I had to do it again, I'd go the semi custom route.

The advantage of starting with a base gun, is getting exactly what you want, a one of a kind, etc etc. But if Nighthawk, for instance, offers what you want, then your all set.

Of course if you have to have the Pony, and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that, you pretty much have to go the custome route. THey don't make a rail recevier though.

Some do prefer the added on Dawson rail, due to the lower profile and weight, then the built in rail.

Getting a SA loaded or Kimber will lock you into certain mods that are already done, or at least limit your options down the road. You'll have to decide how much of aproblem thats gonna be. Because the gunsmith will have to undo what the factory did. But they can alos be a good starting point for a "modern" style 1911, that you can upgrade later doen the road.

If you want a classic old school gun, get a Colt series 70 re-issue or 1991, and have at it.

It a tough call,

Bob

the1911fan
08-12-07, 23:33
The Dawson rail pretty much locks you into Surefire (which isn't a bad thing)
I went the Novak route for more light options

Hersh
08-15-07, 20:48
Personally I'm a diehard Colt fan. As another member mentioned, their quality is good and the basic 1991A1s are great to customize.

Here's before & after pics of my 07 vintage Government model.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Hershel_Van/DSC00030.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Hershel_Van/wilson.jpg

Yeah I know ... the plastic trigger is next. ;)

Gunfighter13
08-15-07, 21:42
If you intend to customize the gun why not buy it the way you want it to end up. Colt can build one the way you want it. Kimber and Springfield most likely have a gun model that has everything that you could want. I would suggest that you get a good idea what you really want and compare the cost of having the custom work done after the price of the gun and the cost and end product of one that is already built. Look at the fit and accuracy of the gun to. Take a look over at 1911fourm.com. :cool:

Cameron
08-16-07, 11:43
You said you had a preference for the Colt, then I would recommend you get one. I bought two new production Series 80 Colts in 2004 and they have been shot extensively. The Government Model had 13,000 rounds through it with all factory internals before the rear leg of the ejector broke. The pistol still worked flawlessly as the ejector cannot turn while in the slide. That is the only parts breakage in over 20,000 rounds of factory 230gr FMJ. The still have the original extractors and mainsprings etc. I have only ever replaced the recoil and firing pin springs and the one ejector.

The only parts I changed were those relating to grip comfort ie. Thumb Safety, Grip Safety (Wilson drop-in) and slim grips.

There is just something about a Colt that is a little cooler than a Kimber...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/2007cam/ColtsandaCigar.jpg

Cameron

R Moran
08-16-07, 22:23
Take a look over at 1911fourm.com. :cool:

You know, they love me over there!

Just remember eveything is going to be a compromise in some way.

Just don't confuse "features" for quality.

Bob

John_Wayne777
08-17-07, 12:24
The only parts I changed were those relating to grip comfort ie. Thumb Safety, Grip Safety (Wilson drop-in) and slim grips.

There is just something about a Colt that is a little cooler than a Kimber...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/2007cam/ColtsandaCigar.jpg

Cameron

Is it wrong that I am totally aroused by that pic?

That's exactly what I've been wanting to do...get a NRM Colt, put on a simple beavertail and thumb safety, an old-school Commander style hammer and leave it at that.