PDA

View Full Version : Lessoned learned the hard way....UGG

Belmont31R
12-08-10, 00:35
So my wife buys some UGG boots because all the girls are wearing them, and that means she has to, too. Ive asked her numerous times to get a pair of real boots...IE Lowa, Meindl, Asolo, ect. Nope. She says they look like mens shoes and she wont wear them.

So today she gets her $250 UGG boots around 6PM from UPS, and somehow they are already stained across the top of one of them. All I can do is sit there and laugh. "Made in China?", I ask. She points to the label on the side of the boot which says Australia. I go get the box, look at the label on the side, and sure enough..."Made in China". I show it to her, and now she is all pissed off. She packs them back into the box all angrily, and takes them into the back of the house.

Maybe tomorrow we can go get her some real boots not made in China, and actually try them on. One boot was tight on her foot, and the other fit fine.

Its astonishing to me people (including her but she is slowly learning) buy big ticket items that are essentially junk but because of the brand they are like hot ticket items. Now we have a pair of boots she wont wear because they are stained when she could have gotten a good pair of European made boots for the same price, and lasted 5 years at least while actually being able to use them. The same thing with Coach purses. All made in China yet these girls are plunking down 500 on one. Cost maybe 5 bucks to make, 5 to ship it, and 5 to sell it.

Just for ole time sakes last night I pulled my Corcoran jump boots out of the closet, US made, around 100 bucks, and they still fit like a glove. Its not impossible to get well made US/western made products at the same price or lower in some cases. I also still have some Lowa boots I got in Germany for around $200, glove leather lined, ect. I really don't get the "fashion" crowd that spends huge amounts of money on cheap junk just to look "in" for a couple months. Its all cheap 3rd world made junk clothing that turns to shreds.

So if any of your wives are wanting some of these crappy ass boots don't let them.

CLHC
12-08-10, 01:00
I've got a pair of "knock-off" UGG[ish] type boots for kickin' it around the house that I bought some years back, but they're made here in the U.S.A. At least that's what the tag stated(?) It's still holding up.

Now, I seem to remember Catskill Mountain Boots or was it Mocs?

Irish
12-08-10, 01:21
Mine's got a pair of Uggs I bought her 2 years and she loves them. No problems, no issues and she thinks they're the most comfy things on the planet. She wears them constantly and I have no regrets from buying hers.

Shhhhh! :secret: She's getting a pair of Frye riding boots this year for Christmas. They're "fashionable" and have a great reputation for being quality built. Not cheap, but not Gucci prices either. http://www.thefryecompany.com/Default.aspx

Founded in 1863 by John A. Frye, The Frye Company is the oldest continuously operated shoe company in the United States.

DaBears_85
12-08-10, 05:18
Is there some reason you can't return the boots, or exchange them?

Suwannee Tim
12-08-10, 05:22
Good luck finding US or European made boots. My and my wife's Lowas were made in China. I have a pair of Vasque made in France but they were among the last from that factory. Vasque still makes heavy mountaineering boots in Italy but they are ill suited for hiking or general use.

montanadave
12-08-10, 06:53
Shhhhh! :secret: She's getting a pair of Frye riding boots this year for Christmas. They're "fashionable" and have a great reputation for being quality built. Not cheap, but not Gucci prices either. http://www.thefryecompany.com/Default.aspx

Santa (aka UPS delivery man) delivered my wife's new Frye boots last night. I feel your pain.

On the plus side, I gave her another pair a couple of years ago and she still loves them so I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet.

And as we all know: If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! :laugh:

rat31465
12-08-10, 07:01
Tell your wife to not be too upset in getting a bad pair of Uggs. These boots have actually been reported as being very bad for your feet and ankles as they have little to no support and wearers are at an increased risk for ankle sprains.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2117380.ece

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_wearing_ugg_boots_for_long_periods_of_time_ruining_womens_feet_experts_say.html

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/yourhealth/women%27shealth/article/781947--ugg-boots-are-bad-for-your-feet-and-back

sadmin
12-08-10, 08:08
My wife is in the same consumer la la land. She has UGGs in mulitple colors and refuses to wear the boots that resemble UGGs, but are half the price. She wants cowboy boots so we went to Cavenders and like a hawk she zeros in on the Lucchese's with some innate desire to spend the maximum amount possible on an item...so I feel your pain, but what can ya do. A happy wife makes for good times.

+1 for the Fryes, I have a pair of the Hudson Chukkas and I love them.

Littlelebowski
12-08-10, 08:17
My Belgian Malinois chewed up my wife's UGGs :D He can't stand Chinese crap either.....

Irish
12-08-10, 08:44
FYI - I ordered her new boots through Zappos.com and one of the nice things is shipping is free BOTH ways in case they don't fit or you do a return. Also, you can return them with no problems up to 365 days later and that saves a lot of hassles around the beginning of the new year. Hope it helps and I'm not affiliated.

orionz06
12-08-10, 08:56
My Belgian Malinois chewed up my wife's UGGs :D He can't stand Chinese crap either.....

I love Nacho even more now!

The woman has a pair of Ugg mocassins that seem very well made, despite being MiC. One of my favorite boots are Dr. Martens 1460's and due to demand, you can now obtain Made in England Doc's again. They are very well made boots that last me 4-5 years if I take care of them.

SWATcop556
12-08-10, 08:58
My wife has a pair of UGGs that I bought her two years ago and she wears them all the time. They were actually made in Australia though. I hate the thing but hey, she loves 'em.

I haven't ever ordered via Zappos but I know several who have and have been very happy so I may give them a shot after the new year as I need some new boots myself.

Gutshot John
12-08-10, 09:12
One of my favorite boots are Dr. Martens 1460's and due to demand, you can now obtain Made in England Doc's again. They are very well made boots that last me 4-5 years if I take care of them.

Fortunately my wife prefers Doc's and thinks UGG is fugly...so do I. My Doc's have been to multiple carbine classes and I simply find them the most comfortable.

I have no idea what makes them fashionable...maybe if they had a stiletto heel or something...:sarcastic:

Belmont31R
12-08-10, 09:28
Good luck finding US or European made boots. My and my wife's Lowas were made in China. I have a pair of Vasque made in France but they were among the last from that factory. Vasque still makes heavy mountaineering boots in Italy but they are ill suited for hiking or general use.

My Asolos I got earlier this year are made in Ukraine.

I think it depends on exactly what boot you get. The lower prices ones may be China but the nicer ones will not be. I have 3 pair of Lowas and they are all European.

Belmont31R
12-08-10, 09:29
Is there some reason you can't return the boots, or exchange them?

It wouldn't be right to exchange or return something that was damaged after taking them out of the box. The good news is she was able to get most of the stain out but theres still a bit of spot if you know where to look.

500grains
12-08-10, 09:54
Maybe tomorrow we can go get her some real boots not made in China, and actually try them on. One boot was tight on her foot, and the other fit fine.

I find it impossible to wear Nike running shoes because the sizes do not track, the shoes have weird shapes, etc. I went to a New Balance store and told the kid to show me the shoes not made in China. There were about 6 of them, I found one I liked and made the purchase.

If you want to waste your money, buy something made in China.

But $250 for China-made boots that have $5 worth of sheepskin in them? Unfriggenbelievable.

austinN4
12-08-10, 10:24
Just for ole time sakes last night I pulled my Corcoran jump boots out of the closet, US made, around 100 bucks, and they still fit like a glove.
I am still wearing one pair of black leather USGI boots issued to me in 1966. I did finally wear the first pair out.

Mac5.56
12-08-10, 11:22
Now we have a pair of boots she wont wear because they are stained when she could have gotten a good pair of European made boots for the same price, and lasted 5 years at least while actually being able to use them.

Uuuummmm.... Why aren't you returning them?

Taking shoes out of a box, looking at them, and deciding they are damaged product is a completely legit thing to do when ordering something! If you determine they are damaged then returning them is the natural next step. $5 says that she bought them from Zappos online retailer, which has a policy that they take all returns if they don't fit, or if the person doesn't like them. This implies that the shoes were taken out of the box, tried on, and looked at, then shipped back.

Send those ****ers back!!!

Belmont31R
12-08-10, 11:51
Uuuummmm.... Why aren't you returning them?

Taking shoes out of a box, looking at them, and deciding they are damaged product is a completely legit thing to do when ordering something! If you determine they are damaged then returning them is the natural next step. $5 says that she bought them from Zappos online retailer, which has a policy that they take all returns if they don't fit, or if the person doesn't like them. This implies that the shoes were taken out of the box, tried on, and looked at, then shipped back.

Send those ****ers back!!!

No they were stained after she took them out of the box, and wore them for a little bit. They were not stained before she put them on.

I was just lamenting about the fragile nature of fashion shoes, high price, and being China made than anything.

Mac5.56
12-08-10, 12:01
No they were stained after she took them out of the box, and wore them for a little bit. They were not stained before she put them on.

I was just lamenting about the fragile nature of fashion shoes, high price, and being China made than anything.

Ohhhh.... Yea I have heard that complaint before. That the Ugg's are fragile as hell. Had a friend that bought a pair a while back, they didn't survive her Wyoming Girl ways for more then season.

DaBears_85
12-08-10, 12:12
It wouldn't be right to exchange or return something that was damaged after taking them out of the box.

Oh, I see. I thought you meant they had been damaged prior to the box being opened.

dhrith
12-08-10, 15:38
My wife is in the same consumer la la land. She has UGGs in mulitple colors and refuses to wear the boots that resemble UGGs, but are half the price. She wants cowboy boots so we went to Cavenders and like a hawk she zeros in on the Lucchese's with some innate desire to spend the maximum amount possible on an item...so I feel your pain, but what can ya do. A happy wife makes for good times.

+1 for the Fryes, I have a pair of the Hudson Chukkas and I love them.

At least with a good set of cowboy boots they last. I've still got a pair of elephant skin I bought back in 86 that are the shit. Comfortable as all hell when they get wore in. They keep telling me they won't put new heels on 'em and I keep beggin 'em. One of these days I'm gonna be sad and lose that argument. ;p
Best $600 I ever spent.

dhrith
12-08-10, 15:42
I love Nacho even more now!

The woman has a pair of Ugg mocassins that seem very well made, despite being MiC. One of my favorite boots are Dr. Martens 1460's and due to demand, you can now obtain Made in England Doc's again. They are very well made boots that last me 4-5 years if I take care of them.

I've heard this from several people. I finally bought a set a couple years ago and I cursed those boots for a year until they finally broke in. By then I was so pissed at them I stopped wearing them. I'd sure like to know what the difference was between mine and those spoken well of. Hell I'd still kick the ****er in the nuts that made those boots if I came across him in the street.

Rider79
12-08-10, 16:40
I think UGGs are absolutely retarded. All of our cocktail waitresses wear them with shorts and shit because they're "warm". The newer ones that look like a floppy sweater with buttons are even worse. If it was that damn cold you wouldn't be wearing shorts, would you?

Belmont31R
12-08-10, 16:43
Ohhhh.... Yea I have heard that complaint before. That the Ugg's are fragile as hell. Had a friend that bought a pair a while back, they didn't survive her Wyoming Girl ways for more then season.

They are fashion boots for the city for sure.

d90king
12-08-10, 17:15
Belmont just pray you don't have daughters... I have two and enough UGG's to outfit a small army... :sad:

Belmont31R
12-08-10, 17:18
Belmont just pray you don't have daughters... I have two and enough UGG's to outfit a small army... :sad:

Ive already got twin 4 year old boys....:eek: They are like fuel and fire together.

d90king
12-08-10, 17:22
Ive already got twin 4 year old boys....:eek: They are like fuel and fire together.

Good on you brother, good on you! I am certainly blessed with two amazing daughters but no shooting buddy.:( They won't go to the club because their UGG's will get dirty...:sarcastic:

Mac5.56
12-08-10, 17:29
I think UGGs are absolutely retarded. All of our cocktail waitresses wear them with shorts and shit because they're "warm". The newer ones that look like a floppy sweater with buttons are even worse. If it was that damn cold you wouldn't be wearing shorts, would you?

:) Yea Right!!!!

Todd.K
12-08-10, 18:29
Good luck finding US or European made boots.

I was all set to point you in the direction of some well made in the USA boots because I thought we were talking about boots. Then I looked up UGG's...

I feel your pain Belmont, my wife complains about her feet getting wet and cold if we are out in the snow/wet/cold very long but refuses to set foot in the Danner factory store when we are in Portland. She does look stylish in her "boots" though.

SeriousStudent
12-08-10, 21:07
At least with a good set of cowboy boots they last. I've still got a pair of elephant skin I bought back in 86 that are the shit. Comfortable as all hell when they get wore in. They keep telling me they won't put new heels on 'em and I keep beggin 'em. One of these days I'm gonna be sad and lose that argument. ;p
Best $600 I ever spent.

Indeed. I have a pair of M.L. Leddy handmade sharkskin boots, made almost 40 years ago. They have been reheeled and resoled maybe 6-7 times.

They cost me the ungodly sum of $200 then. I can still remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the womenfolk.

But at $5 a year, it turned out to be good economics. I still have them and wear them.

Different womenfolk these days, however. ;)

JSantoro
12-09-10, 09:26
I think UGGs are absolutely retarded.

Concur. A baaaad argument I had with the lady-pal was spawned over me giving an honest opinion about them, when asked.

"Aren't these cute?" Not only no, but f**k no. Why would you spend all that time jazzercizing and whatnot to keep everything small, then buy modular cankles? For such a smart chick, you're a dumbass. (I'm paraphrasing, there)

"Butbutbut they're WARM!" So we've established that they're NOT cute, but warm. Excellent. Okay, Quinn the Eskimo, I'll remember how warm you said they were when you're bitching about how cold you are in the skirt you'll doubtless wear them with in Virginia. How'sabout we get above 40deg latitude before we start talking about cold? Why don't I have a sammich in front of me by now?

And thus did a notebook come hurtling past my head, followed closely by a set of keys.....

I call them her Girls Next Door Airhead Barbie Boots. Whenever she wears them, there is no kissing, only nose-rubbing. Comments are made about baby seals, whaling, oil pipelines, and I ask questions about whether she can confirm if 30 Days of Night is plausible. If I'm gonna be put through the pain of having to look at those stupid things, she's paying an jackass tax.

chadbag
12-09-10, 10:27
To the OP:

UGGs are one of the most counterfeited goods (at least footwear) sold on the internet. I would make sure you got real ones from a reputable place.

Luckily none of our women-folk in our extended family have latched onto these

Rider79
12-09-10, 16:03
Jim, you never cease to make me laugh. We all need to get together at SHOT again this year.

QuietShootr
12-10-10, 23:19
Those things are the ****ing ugliest thing to go on women's feet since Birkenstocks.

I'd kick my wife in the twat if she ordered a $250 pair of ugly-ass Chinese-made dogskin boots like that.

JSantoro
12-11-10, 14:41
Still waiting on that sammich......:(

Suwannee Tim
12-11-10, 15:00
Still waiting on that sammich......:(

You gonna keep jerking her chain Jim Bob and she's going to make you a shit sammich. :sad:

Lotta people don't know what a sammich is. When I go to NYC no one knows what a sammich is. Kind of like a sammage but different.

You need to go to NYC and get her a pair of them boots from the back of the big van. Down in Chinatown. Way big cheaper!

I got my wife a Dooney and Bourke purse from the back of the van in Chinatown. She said that's what she wants for Christmas so I got her one. They didn't have what I wanted in the back of the van. An FN SCAR.:sad: Not to worry! Grant's going to get me one.:cool:

Belmont31R
12-11-10, 15:09
Ha.....the Mrs. wore them today, and now has blisters on her feet.....came limping into the office whining about it. "Thats what you get for wearing China made shoes. Probably has chemicals in it eating your skin away....". :D

sandman99and9
12-11-10, 15:15

I have 3 redheaded boys !!! 13,9, and 3
The 2 older ones fight all the time but the little one really runs the show in our house.:D I would not trade them for anything and have been told to be glad I only have boys.......

S.M.

Suwannee Tim
12-11-10, 15:16
I bought my wife a pair of Red Wings for cutting the grass, steel toe and all that. She won't wear them to cut the grass. They are too cute for that don't you know.:(

theblackknight
12-11-10, 15:34
Its astonishing to me people (including her but she is slowly learning) buy big ticket items that are essentially junk but because of the brand they are like hot ticket items.

http://www.webarms.com/images/DPMS_Logo.gif

Suwannee Tim
12-11-10, 17:37
You buy that brand name stuff and you pay half for the brand name and half for the stuff. That's fine if it just HAS to say Ugg or Dooney and Bourke. Or Colthttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php).

Dave_M
12-11-10, 20:58
My girl has a pair that she wears often. I don't care what footwear she wants to put on her feet unless we're hitting a trail or camping. Unlike Nacho, my dog has discipline so they've survived in the house :sarcastic:

They also come off easily, which is a plus :laugh: