PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ACS vs UBR

SPARC
12-08-10, 10:20
I'm currently running a Magpul ACS stock on my DD 14.5" setup (12" LITE Rail) and while I like the ACS...there's something about a UBR that keeps pulling me towards it. If there's anyone out there who's made the switch and would care to comment, I've got a few questions:

1. Do you feel the UBR is worth the $120 or so difference in price over the ACS?

2. Is the cheek weld on the UBR similiar to the ACS?

3. Is there anything about the UBR you don't like?

I'm guessing that I can sell my ACS, mil-spec tube, asap plate, and magpul MS2 as a combo and that will cover 2/3 of the UBR cost...I just want to get some opinions from people who have used both before I take the plunge.

Thanks

dom1104
12-08-10, 11:24
I can try to answer this, I just bought a UBR from a friend of mine for $170 bucks. I currently have an ACS.

The UBR is heavier, which is a plus or a minus depending on how heavy the "front half" of your gun is.

The UBR has sling swivel attachment points that can be reversed to the other side, the ACS does not come with them and they have to be purchased.

The UBR has a "stop pin" that allows you to extend it to the same spot every time.

They do feel totally different to me, and frankly I think I like the ACS better.

I will probably keep both, but if I had to pay full price for a UBR, I probably would not.

ALCOAR
12-08-10, 12:35
I am not a fan at all of the ACS and its like a half ass UBR. On the other hand, the UBR is truly proprietary in nature and in my eyes perfect with the exception of folks who are crippled by the extra 9oz. of rear most weight that the UBR has.

Night and day difference imho...your long railed build will go great w. a UBR but as someone will shortly be along to say....a wobbly colt retro 4 position stock on a bad tube will still make the gun go bang.

SPARC
12-08-10, 13:01
I am not a fan at all of the ACS and its like a half ass UBR. On the other hand, the UBR is truly proprietary in nature and in my eyes perfect with the exception of folks who are crippled by the extra 9oz. of rear most weight that the UBR has.

Night and day difference imho...your long railed build will go great w. a UBR but as someone will shortly be along to say....a wobbly colt retro 4 position stock on a bad tube will still make the gun go bang.

Thanks. I'm not a fan of the looks of the ACS, but that's a secondary thing to me. The more I shoot my rifle with the ACS, the more I'm wishing I had stepped up to the UBR the first time around. I think it will help balance my rifle a little more and I prefer the solid feel I think it will give.

I'm pretty sure all of my ACS stuff will be up for sale tonight and I'll be ordering another Christmas present for me!

ALCOAR
12-08-10, 15:36
It honestly does sound like you are prime to enjoy and take advantage of the UBR.

I love never having my cheekweld move depending on where the stock is positioned....I also love that it defies physics in the fact that it has absolutely zero movement when in a position and the amt. of positions is expontentially larger than any other stock to date. Its got the best storage design imo when using the doors and when not it just makes the UBR look that much better than all the others.

If you want balance and overall solidness than you cannot go wrong with this stock and perhaps you can get by with a Foliage Green or OD Green model which DSGarms has on sale with a saving of $60 under the Going Green sale
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG330-OD.aspx

dway
12-08-10, 16:11
I bought two of them from the "Going Green Sale" that Trident posted a link to. I wanted one green and one black, so I dyed one of the Foliage green ones black with Rit Dye following the instructions found on this site for dyeing Pmags. You can't tell the difference between it and one that came out of the box black and I saved myself $60.

ALCOAR
12-08-10, 16:34
That is great that you can use that trick and end up with a $60 cheaper black ubr. You def. made the most of that deal:) Hope they serve you long and well.

warnerd
12-08-10, 20:02
I agree with everyone else and was even going to link the OD green UBR from DSG Arms, that you should go with the UBR. I'm just about to buy one for my AR, after feeling one up at my gunsmith's shop.

The_Hammer_Man
12-08-10, 20:09
Did a training day with some currently working LEO's here in Wisconsin the other day. (I'm retired but, they let me play with them occassionally.) One of the drills was that we had to breech the door using our buttstocks then engage targets within the structure after tossing a couple of flashbangs in.

My carbine was the only one to survive that drill with my stock intact. LMT lower w/ UBR stock :)

We had to ACS's and 4 Colts. None of them survived "the door drill" as they call it.

Things I like about my UBR.

Cheek weld is perfect everytime.

It opens to EXACTLY where I like it every time.

Yes it weighs a bit more but, I have a 12" tube on my carbine with a buis/x300 out front. So it balances things rather nicely.

Oh, one thing. Get the new butt pad for the UBR. it's VERY body armor friendly. No slip and slide like the regular butt pad.

kLewis
12-08-10, 20:22
A little side question here: Is the UBR still heavier when compared to an ACS with 4 CR123s in the tubes, and maybe some lube in the lower compartment? Thanks, and sorry for the deviation.

djegators
12-08-10, 20:22
I like both stocks quite a bit. I prefer the UBR on a heavier, more precision oriented scoped rifle. The UBR gives the solid feel of a full stock, yet still is adjustable. I like the ACS on a lighter, RDS setup. it gives a long LOP, wide cheek rest, yet still a fairly solid stock. Stock selection is about what you are most comfortable with on each configuration.

ALCOAR
12-08-10, 21:15
A little side question here: Is the UBR still heavier when compared to an ACS with 4 CR123s in the tubes, and maybe some lube in the lower compartment? Thanks, and sorry for the deviation.

Magpul ACS w. complete receiver extension.....1lb 2.6oz.

Magpul UBR complete .....1lb 9.4oz.

CR123's weigh 17g. so x 4 of them equals 68g. or 2oz.12g.

ACS + 4 CR123's = 1lb. 5oz. (+/- a cpl. grams)

UBR complete = 1lb. 9oz. (+/- a cpl. grams)

Only you can know exactly how much lube you go through and its not any business of mine or anybody Else's to know how much lube another man uses :)

kLewis
12-08-10, 21:30
Only you can know exactly how much lube you go through and its not any business of mine or anybody Else's to know how much lube another man uses :)

So true! :D

Thank you very much, exactly what I was looking for!

cop1211
12-09-10, 00:45
I love the UBR I've got 3. Two are run with 16 inch rifles, the other is on my sbr lower. For my second sbr lower, that will have a UBR as well.

Watrdawg
12-09-10, 07:26
I've never had an ACS stock, just the UBR. Yes it was expensive but I absolutely love the solid feel of this stock. As others have said the cheek weld is the same everytime, no wobble at all, length adjustment is easy and precise, storage is more than adequate and even though the stock is heavy it just fits. Can't explain FITS but that is the only way for me to explain the over all feel of it. Every weapon I purchase in the future will have the UBR on it.

Luke_Y
12-09-10, 08:27
Did a training day with some currently working LEO's here in Wisconsin the other day. (I'm retired but, they let me play with them occassionally.) One of the drills was that we had to breech the door using our buttstocks then engage targets within the structure after tossing a couple of flashbangs in.

My carbine was the only one to survive that drill with my stock intact. LMT lower w/ UBR stock :)

We had to ACS's and 4 Colts. None of them survived "the door drill" as they call it.

Things I like about my UBR.

Cheek weld is perfect everytime.

It opens to EXACTLY where I like it every time.

Yes it weighs a bit more but, I have a 12" tube on my carbine with a buis/x300 out front. So it balances things rather nicely.

Oh, one thing. Get the new butt pad for the UBR. it's VERY body armor friendly. No slip and slide like the regular butt pad.

Sigh, the carbine is NOT an entry ram, halligan, step ladder, pry bar, hammer...

Never mind, its OT anyhow. :) But, YES the UBR is stout. :D

crazymoose
12-09-10, 11:41
Prefer the ACS due to the wider cheek rest. If this does not matter to you, you'll probably like the UBR better.