PDA

View Full Version : Gas Block removal

viperpit7
12-08-10, 11:59
hey guys, i looked through and i couldnt find a post on this, if i missed it im sorry about it but i cant seem to get a solid answer on this. i have a RRA entry tactical, and i want to know if i can remove my stock gas block site? like can i remove it myself, cause i think its like sealed on there or do i need to have a gunsmith remove it? and how much would that cost? cause i really want to get rid of it for my new scope. thanks guys

Eric D.
12-08-10, 13:13
Does the FSB obstruct the the view of the scope? Most people find that anything over 4x and you can't see the FSB at all. If you really want to remove it, get the FSB bench block from brownell's and a good set of punches. RRA uses straight pins, so they aren't directional. Spray the FSB down with PB blaster or kroil a couple times a day for a few days before you try to knock the pins out.

Tactical Joke
12-08-10, 13:31
I just removed a FSP on an pre-DEA RRA upper a couple of days ago. A few whacks on the punch with a decent hammer broke the pins loose,and I tapped them on out.

I had a much harder time with the barrel nut.

viperpit7
12-08-10, 16:59
ok thats what i wanted to know. thanks guys :)

tiktat
12-08-10, 22:45
Couple blocks of wood with some rags and punches an it's real easy

Oh yah and a hammer

Gunfighter 9
12-09-10, 07:52
I removed the FSB on my M&P 15. Check out this link if you need additional information. It helped me out. Good luck.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=510994

tfltackdriver
12-09-10, 10:20
PB Blaster is a wonderful product for jobs like this. I had to replace a front sight on a M1 Carbine once and couldn't have done it without the PB Blaster. I didn't think God himself was going to be able to move that pin.
A few squirts with the PB Blaster and four hours later, wham, it came out.

Woodwrkr
12-09-10, 10:43
Does the FSB obstruct the the view of the scope? Most people find that anything over 4x and you can't see the FSB at all.

I experienced this a few weeks ago. I mounted a Nikon 2-7X on my AR just for testing handloads and before removing the Troy fixed front sight I took a look through the scope. Even at 2x I couldn't see the front sight. Don't know why it doesn't obstruct the scope 'cause it sure looks like it should.

viperpit7
12-09-10, 16:51
i dont have a scope for it yet, but in fore thought im wondering if i will need to remove my front sight, and if so, how i do that. so if i just buy a scope, how should i line it up to increase chance of it not showing up without getting in so high it looks stupid. should i line the scope bore tube with the top of the sight or what?

Eric D.
12-09-10, 19:18
Just leave it alone until you get your scope. Mount it to the upper and take a look through it. Somehow, the FSB isn't visible under optical magnification, I don't know exactly why. If you can see the FSB, or if you just want the scope higher, there's a variety of mounts to choose from.

i dont have a scope for it yet, but in fore thought im wondering if i will need to remove my front sight, and if so, how i do that. so if i just buy a scope, how should i line it up to increase chance of it not showing up without getting in so high it looks stupid. should i line the scope bore tube with the top of the sight or what?

goneballistic
12-13-10, 16:08
my front sight is not too visible through my scopes but I can see it, it is sort of a blur.

getting your front sight base off can SUCK. you have to drive the pins out, some of them have a set screw on the bottom you have to remove (some DPMS target uppers)

I had to heat my front sight base up with a torch and beat the crap out of it with a rubber mallet to get it to come off. It finally did though.

i wouldn't worry about it too much, it won't show much in a scope.

ApacheTactical
12-13-10, 19:23
You can remove it your self but before you do put some kroil oil where the pins are and at the base of the site and barrel. Put a good amount and let it creep overnight. Stand it upright so it can work down the barrel and front site. The next day you should be able to remove it with ease. Make sure you use the correct size punch so you do not go inside the roll pin causing to to force outward making it harder to remove.

Quentin
12-14-10, 01:23
The telephoto effect of the scope moves the FSB out of the field of vision or very nearly does - to the point where it doesn't obstruct your target. It's the opposite effect of a wide angle camera lens which draws things into the field of vision.