PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the M&P40c as a backup?

m39nut
12-08-10, 12:43
I use a M&P40fs as a primary and am looking for a backup. I am considering the 40c or 9c as backups as well a a j frame 442. While the j frame is easier to conceal, I like the commonality of parts and training and was wondering if the additional size has caused anybody any problems. I will probably use a small of back holster instead on an ankle due to increased size.

SWATcop556
12-08-10, 16:23
I carry a M&P9c off duty when I have to carry in a less permissive environment, mainly church. I try to carry a FS handgun whenever possible. I also carry a 442 if I need even deeper concealment and it also rides on my vest under my uniform.

I would stay away from carrying any firearm in the small of your back. If you lean over to pick something up or control a suspect you have opened yourself up to an easy gun grab. I carry at about 2 o'clock when off duty.

jnc36rcpd
12-09-10, 14:01
SWATcop911, do you think the M&Pc could be comfortably carried in a vest, ankle, or pocket holster? I'm torn between that and a G-26 or 27 for a back-up weapon when I return to the road.

m39nut, I'd share SWATcop911's concerns about the small-of-the-back holster.

Oscar 319
12-09-10, 14:39
SWATcop911, do you think the M&Pc could be comfortably carried in a vest, ankle, or pocket holster? I'm torn between that and a G-26 or 27 for a back-up weapon when I return to the road.

Not SWATcop911, but here is my answer to your question.

I have carried a G27 on my vest for the past 6 or 7 years. It was intitially to back up my G22 (same ammo/mags). It now backs my MP45.

As for the question MP9C or 40C, they are the same size (slightly bigger than a G26/27). If you carry a FS 40, then get the 40C....The vest is the safest and most secure location for a BUG. Ideally, you should be able to access it with your support hand.

Ankle carry IMO is hard to access, cumbersome and think about it...."get on the ground!"

Pocket carry...put a G26 or MP9C in your pocket, with your duty belt and on vest on and try to sit. Now try to access the gun. A hammerless J frame in the only gun I would consider for pocket carry on duty.

Vest carry has its drawbacks too, mainly comfort...you get used to it. If you are interested, PM me and I'll tell you the best way I have found to do it.

SWATcop556
12-09-10, 14:50
I would feel comfortable carrying it on my vest. I don't pocket carry or ankle carry so its hard for me to comment on those methods. My M&Pc is slightly bigger than my G26 but not by a huge margin.

I would not want to pocket carry either unless it was more of a baggy pant front pocket but not jeans and only using a quality pocket holster.

I feel both would be too big for ankle carry, especially in the event of a foot pursuit, but again thats just me. YMMV

PdxMotoxer
12-09-10, 14:53
I carry and trust my life to the 9c but if (like you) I had
a 40 S&W fs then the easy (for me) choice would be buy a 40c
and you could always get the kit to shoot 9mm out of it if you wanted
the cheaper to shoot ammo AND have the OPTION of shooting 40 S&W
if you want to save and buy in bulk.

Plus you could use you're 40fs mags in the compact.
If you want to carry the compact with the full sized mags....
X-Grips mag sleeve!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/IMG00125.jpg

(i'll second on my M&P9c is far to "bulky" to pocket carry. even in cargo shorts.....
I ended up buying my slimmer Kel-Tec pf9 for that and that turnedd out to be on the big side for my tastes
If i plan on pocket carry i LOVE my LCP .380 for that)

BobM
12-09-10, 18:39
I carry a 40c in a vest holster daily with no issues. Off duty in winter I carry it in a coat pocket. I agree that it's probably too big to use as a pants pocket gun, at least for me.

Entropy
12-09-10, 21:09
I too would avoid the small of back carry. If the gun is under 20oz, then it will do fine in a secure ankle holster like Bianchi. I've done foot pursuits with such a combo with no problems. You just need a light enough pistol with the right rig. In my agency we have strict uniform standards and our shirts fit tight around the vest. So there is no room for a BUG in that location. Ankle holster works best for me as the gun can be accessed with either the left or right hand. Anywhere else and you don't that level of accessability by both hands......especially if you are wounded and only have one functioning hand. Hand wounds are very common in a gun fight and being prepared to fight with one hand is important.

In regard to the M&Pc, it is almost as bulky and heavy as the full sized M&P. So you'll have limitations on where you can carry it. With something like a S&W J-frame, or 9mm single stack, you have a much wider range of carry options which is the important in a BUG.

jnc36rcpd
12-10-10, 18:49
My duty pistol is a SIG 226R .40. I have carried a 9mm SIG 239 as a back-up, but found that somewhat large and heavy. While I like a consistent manual of arms, better the back-up gun you have with you than the one back in the cruiser. I was hoping the polymer frame and different profile of the M&Pc (or the Glock 26/27) might make for easier carry.

I do like the M&P 340, but it's up in the air whether we will continue to authorize revolvers.

I tend to agree that the M&Pc and Glock 26/27 are large for pocket carry, but I watched another instructor draw a G-27 from the pocket of his cargo pants. I think I was more surprised than the recruit class. That said, he wasn't wearing his Sam Browne at the time.