PDA

View Full Version : Building my own AR

rich
08-11-07, 20:27
HI I am new to the forum and I am starting to gather the parts necessary to do my first AR build I was wondering if anyone knows who makes a fluted 16" barrel and were I could purchase one?

Gibbles
08-11-07, 21:54
http://www.ar15barrels.com/
He might be able to do it for you; he is also on this forum under ar15barrels I believe.

And welcome. :)

uranus
08-12-07, 00:17
Steve @ ADCO will sell and/or flute a barrel for you. Steve worked on two of my barrels. Prices were very reasonable, workmanship was excellent, and turn-around time was super-fast.

ADCO is a dealer member.

AR15barrels
08-12-07, 15:14
Something to consider...

Only heavy barrels are fluted.
A fluted heavy barrel is still going to be heavier than a round medium weight or a round lightweight barrel.

If you already had a heavy barrel like a bushmaster or rock river, you will lose a LOT more weight by simply having it profiled to a medium or lightweight profile.

The proponents of fluting will tell you that the increased surface area helps with cooling.
While that may be true, when comparing it to similar heavy profiled barrels, it's also true that the lighter weight a barrel is, the quicker it cools down as well.

The weight of the barrel has more effect on how fast it heats up and cools than pretty much everything else.

I recommend a medium or lightweight barrel for anything but bench use.
If you are only going to carry it from your car to the bench, get a 20" HBAR.
They jump less between shots.

If you just want a fluted barrel for CDI factor, that's OK too, just don't have delusions that a heavy fluted barrel is going to cool down quicker than a govt profile barrel.