PDA

View Full Version : So is SPOT about the best value going?

h8mtv
08-11-07, 20:35
I want to scope my Ak on the cheap. I have looked at the Burris FastFire, Burris Speed Dot, and few Tasco units. I have not had my hands on the SPOT Aimpoint clones but I have heard good things. Best bet?

beantamug
08-16-07, 22:13
Have you looked at soviet red dot sights?

These were designed for AK's. They work well, are very affordable, and come with a mount that interfaces with the AK side mount that many AK's already have installed. Plus, they reliably remove and reattach without losing zero.

I have a Kobra from Tantal, the AA battery model. I'm very happy with it, I think I gave around $185 for it.

Here are some links to soviet optic dealers:
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstakoptics.html
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=57

The down side to the soviet optics - they are usually heavier than western optics.

Edited to ad:
Check out the AK Forums:
http://www.akforum.net/
There is a whole section devoted to optics on AK's.

Don Robison
08-16-07, 22:44
Take a look at the Kobra and PK-01. I've shot the Kobra a small amount and it seems to work fine. I've got a PK-01 on my AK. It works well, but can wash out on a very bright day. Overall I've been happy with it, plus it runs on two common 357 batteries or one Aimpoint battery. Like Bean said, they are slightly heavier than either the Aimpoint or Eotech.

chp5
08-28-07, 09:51
I want to scope my Ak on the cheap. I have looked at the Burris FastFire, Burris Speed Dot, and few Tasco units. I have not had my hands on the SPOT Aimpoint clones but I have heard good things. Best bet?

Bump for more infor on the SPOT. I'm looking for an Aimpoint clone for my dedicated .22lr AR upper.

Mantis
08-28-07, 15:24
Bump for more infor on the SPOT. I'm looking for an Aimpoint clone for my dedicated .22lr AR upper.

I bought a SPOT from G&R about 1-1/2 yrs ago after reading a torture test on it on the other site. It's mounted on my AR carbine. So far it hasn't done a single thing wrong. It stays tight, doesn't flicker or anything, holds zero. Excellent plinking accessory for the price.

C4IGrant
08-28-07, 15:27
The SPOT represents the best value for a decent optic.

C4

UVvis
08-28-07, 15:28
Also take a look at Ultradot scopes. I have a couple that have held up very well over the years and they have a decent fanbase with bullseye pistol shooters. They mount these on 1911 slides.

I've got two and they have both held up very well. They don't have the same features as an aimpoint, but I haven' had one loose zero yet. Battery life isn't the best, but CR2032's are only like 15-30 cents if you order in bulk.

Looking through their 30mm version beside an aimpoint, you can't really see much of a difference. You usually mount with two rings.

chp5
08-28-07, 16:56
The SPOT represents the best value for a decent optic.

C4

Grant - does the SPOT co-witness on a flattop Ar with the included mount? Will the mount hold tight on a 9mm upper?

Thanks.

BTW - the link in your signature does not work.

C4IGrant
08-29-07, 08:29
Grant - does the SPOT co-witness on a flattop Ar with the included mount? Will the mount hold tight on a 9mm upper?

Thanks.

BTW - the link in your signature does not work.

Yes it does and yes it will.

C4

GONIF
08-29-07, 12:50
Gave my Dad one (spot) for his Bushmaster ,he likes it and has been reduceing the vatmint population very efectively for 6 months now . he was haveing a problem with open sights (he's 81) and the Spot fixed that problem and he rarely fails to hit his target now .