PDA

View Full Version : What's the general consensus on Stag AR's here?

A10Burrp
12-08-10, 21:29
I am building a new AR this week. Trying to build a decent AR around the $1k mark for complete rifle. Found a good deal on a Stag 3H complete upper. How is Stag? Does CMT still manufacture most parts? How accurate can I expect a Stag barrel to be?

Thank you

Edit- ordered a BCM 16" M4 upper + BCG. Picking up a new RRa lower with 2 stage for $250 from a friend this weekend. Total like $800

yellowv
12-08-10, 21:43
CMT is Stag. Stag is just the name CMT uses on it's own rifles.

lethal dose
12-08-10, 21:50
For a grand, I'd forget stag existed.

TehLlama
12-08-10, 21:51
CMT is definitely good, and a number of CMT parts are found in other builder's rifles.

That said, for $1000, there are other rifles that would be worth looking at. A Bravo Company blemished BCM Complete Lower and a Daniel Defense Packaged upper from Smartgunnor, or the Spike's LE-M4 Upper would be almost $200 cheaper, and better in terms of overall specs.

1:9" Chrome Lined barrels work great if you're not planning on shooting 75gr or heavier rounds, but the flexibility of 1:7 barrels is still preferable. Complete HPT/MPI inspections instead of batch MPI is much preferred, and the AUTO style bolt carriers are a better choice as well.

Whootsinator
12-08-10, 21:52
For $1000 there are a dozen better choices... Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, and the list could continue.

sff70
12-08-10, 22:13
If you save for just a little bit longer (I know, nobody likes to wait), you can have something much better than a Stag.

Take a look at BCM. Very high quality at reasonable prices.

hill
12-08-10, 22:28
Get yourself a DD lower at AIM and pick up the rest at BCM including LPK and Buttstock assy...all for less than a grand:big_boss:

tiktat
12-08-10, 22:35
I was in the same boat about a month ago. I'v had a Stag lower that I picked up a few years ago. I was gonna go with a complete Stag kit but for the money I ened up going with a Bravo Company middy upper. II spent some extra and also went with a MI ff rail (rifle lenth). I am glad I went this way. I think it's worth the little extra $$$$$. I looking to build another one, just dont know this time what one I want to go with at this point .

Scotter260
12-08-10, 23:24
If you're looking at a basic M4-type with no frills, go to http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseURG.aspx, there you can get:

Daniel Defense 16" 1/7 M4 upper standard FSB and flash-hider $349
MOE handguard $28
DD BCG $124
Charging handle $19
DD rear sight $53
DDXV lower $369

$942 all from the same place with free shipping. You'd still have to pay for the transfer on the lower but you're going to be awfully close to your $1,000 plus many will advise that you'll have a real fighting carbine instead of a range toy.

I would check out Smartgunner's site though as the numbers of variations one can compile is staggering. Lightweight, carbine, middy, etc. They also have some excellent deals on uppers with DD rails installed if that interests you.

I ordered a DD upper from them and it was a very good transaction FWIW.

hunter123
12-09-10, 01:22
CMT is definitely good, and a number of CMT parts are found in other builder's rifles.

That said, for $1000, there are other rifles that would be worth looking at. A Bravo Company blemished BCM Complete Lower and a Daniel Defense Packaged upper from Smartgunnor, or the Spike's LE-M4 Upper would be almost $200 cheaper, and better in terms of overall specs.

1:9" Chrome Lined barrels work great if you're not planning on shooting 75gr or heavier rounds, but the flexibility of 1:7 barrels is still preferable. Complete HPT/MPI inspections instead of batch MPI is much preferred, and the AUTO style bolt carriers are a better choice as well.

This is a great idea.

500grains
12-09-10, 06:32
Even if Stag were good, their logo is tacky. IMO

Coleslaw
12-09-10, 07:30
Perused an advertisement from Stag in a gun rag last night at the grocery store and they now offer a lifetime warranty on their barrels. Didn't really check for any exclusions etc., but not a bad marketing scheme since most won't ever shoot long or hard enough to wear a barrel out.

tiktat
12-09-10, 08:31
I like the stag logo on the lower receiver. At the time I bought it they had a few different lowers, I new nothing so I just picked the one with the best logo. Lol

Mitch1352
12-09-10, 09:35
Does Stag build lowers for anybody? I read a comment somewhere that they build them for Noveske. I am planning one for work and from what I have read here, Noveske is G2G. But it sounds like Stag may not be quite top-shelf, which would seem out-of-character for Noveske. There are a couple of each at my local toy store and when I compared them, I couldn't tell. 'Course, I am not up on all the minutae, so go figure.

lethal dose
12-09-10, 09:58
I doubt stag makes lowers for noveske. Even if they did, a lower is a lower as long as it's in spec. Now, what you put in the lower is a different story as are upper components and barrels.

mrosamilia
12-09-10, 10:53
What's the difference between $1000.00 and $1300.00? Why not just spend the minute extra amount and get the standard 6920???

tiktat
12-09-10, 10:55
I doubt stag makes lowers for noveske. Even if they did, a lower is a lower as long as it's in spec. Now, what you put in the lower is a different story as are upper components and barrels.

Exactly what Iv read also

bsmith_shoot
12-09-10, 12:56
I like the lower parts kits, and the lower reciever is decent.

A10Burrp
12-09-10, 15:40
Edited OP

tiktat
12-09-10, 16:44
I think you made a good decision.

tiktat
12-09-10, 16:45
Did you go carbine length or mid length? Did you get a rail for it?

A10Burrp
12-09-10, 18:31
Did you go carbine length or mid length? Did you get a rail for it?

I went carbine length. I didn't want to get a 14.5 mid length because I would have to have the FH pinned and I want to add a can. I had a rail in my shopping cart but took it off at checkout. I am leaving in 3 weeks for Sheppard AFB to finish 8 weeks of training and wanted something I could study and build on while I am there, and have a bunch of parts waiting on me when I get home. My fiance (wife in 2 weeks) is going to start bitching when the UPS guy shows up 14 times while I'm gone. Right now I feel like a kid waiting on Santa. I'll probably buy a set of used stock handguards so I can pop off a few rounds before I leave.

I don't know what kind of rail I want to be honest. This is primarily going to be used for plinking, HD and the occasional coyote at the farm. It's not going into combat, with that said- I'd still really like a LaRue 11 inch.

Decisions decisions

hill
12-11-10, 10:59
What's the difference between $1000.00 and $1300.00? Why not just spend the minute extra amount and get the standard 6920???

Bingo!...or a complete BCM for what 1150-ish?;)

A10Burrp
12-11-10, 13:39
Bingo!...or a complete BCM for what 1150-ish?;)

See the post right above yours

RogerinTPA
12-11-10, 15:54
I am building a new AR this week. Trying to build a decent AR around the $1k mark for complete rifle. Found a good deal on a Stag 3H complete upper. How is Stag? Does CMT still manufacture most parts? How accurate can I expect a Stag barrel to be?

Thank you

Edit- ordered a BCM 16" M4 upper + BCG. Picking up a new RRa lower with 2 stage for $250 from a friend this weekend. Total like $800

Not very good on this forum I'm afraid, but your purchase of the BCM M4 upper and BCG will be the best and most important parts of your build.