PDA

View Full Version : 92fs vs 92fs Centurion

citizensoldier16
12-09-10, 00:42
I've had my 92fs Centurion now for about a year. Needless to say, I absolutely love the fit of that gun in my hand. I've always been a Glock shooter, but when I held the Centurion in my hand it felt like it was a part of me. It pointed exactly where I was looking, and no matter where I was looking I could raise it to my eye level and be right on target. I fell in love with this pistol the moment I held it, and 10 minutes later I was writing a check to my step-father to pay for it. Since it was new, it has had less than 1000 rounds through it, although I intend to put much more down the tube.

However....I absolutely love the look of the 92FS (or the M9). I know the 92FS is slightly longer than it's Centurion brother, but I was wondering if there are any significant design changes between the two models? There is a store close to where I live that routinely gets both the M9 and Brigadier version of the 92fs in stock. They have really good prices, and I was thinking of getting one to accompany my Centurion. Any suggestions? I have heard that the Brigadier has a heavier frame than the M9 and would hold up better over the long run.

300WM
12-09-10, 06:21
Taurus did the same thing with the PT92 and the PT909. It is the same gun, only with 4" barrel. I believe the mags for the Centurion and the 92fs are the same, even.

LHS
12-09-10, 07:35
Same gun, just a slightly shorter barrel and slide on the Centurion. Mags will interchange freely.

Personally, I love the Brigadier versions of the 92, especially the 92 Elite or 92 SD, but finding holsters can be problematic, as the slide has a different contour and they won't fit in standard 92 holsters.

Either way, it's hard to beat the Pizza Pistol :) I have three (92G Elite, 92F and 92G Compact), and love them all.

Cobra66
12-09-10, 11:52
My primary range/match gun is an 92Elite - which has the Brigadier slide. While it probably is that the slide was beefed up to avoid slide failures (Beretta will not admit this - they say it is for increased recoil control), I don't think it is needed. The slide failure issues are for all intents a thing of the past and the only real mechanical weak point of the 92 is the locking block which is basically the same between the two guns. Unless you plan on putting a huge amount of rounds through the pistol, I think your standard weight slide will give you the same service life in a lighter less bulky package.

As mentioned, finding holsters for the heavy slide Beretta can be problematic. I use the Border Patrol holster for leather and a Bladetech for kydex but there are not a lot of options.

If you are wanting a pistol for the range, then look into a Brigadier slide, otherwise I would go with a standard 92FS. A better option would be an A1 variant with the integral rail although finding leather might again be problematic.

As far as differences between the Centurion and the stock 92, barrel and slide length are the only ones I'm aware of.

NCPatrolAR
12-09-10, 12:59
IIRC the dust cover on the Centurion is shorter than the full size Berettas. Obviously the slide and barrel are also different.