PDA

View Full Version : Failure of bolt to lock back after firing last round.

aklaunch
12-09-10, 10:41
Good morning you guys.

I have a rifle that is failing to lock the bolt back after the last round is fired.

This story is going to seem silly and i know what to do to correct it but...

Ok, so here it goes. I have a DPMS Mark 12 upper on a LMT Defender lower. The weapon worked great until i installed the Magpul B.A.D. lever and the BCM tactical charging handle. I currently run Magpul 20 and 30 round Pmag's and also use the Brownells 30 round mags.

Here is the deal though.... It always locks back with the Pmag 30 but locks back about 25% of the time with the Pmag 20 and the USGI mags.

I know this would be and easy fix if i just removed the B.A.D. lever. But i am trying to make it work because i like the idea of the system. I called up Mark over there at DPMS and did not mention the B.A.D. lever. His recommendation was to use CLP oil instead of the Remoil i have been currently running.

I have an LMT upper that i attach and have not had any problems with failure to lock back. I am hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction regarding if they think a different oil could solve my problem.

If not i will just take the B.A.D. lever off and go about my business.

Thanks for you time.

spdldr
12-09-10, 10:56
Just use only the PMag 30. Seriously, try cutting a coil or two off the bolt catch spring.

Clint
12-09-10, 10:56
Sounds like the bad spring might be overpowering the mag spring.

Try the different mags empty in the lower only and see if you can feel any difference in how well the bolt catch is held up.

SA80Dan
12-09-10, 11:02

I had the same issue with the Troy version of. I did like the way the lever functioned, but my last round bolt hold is more important to me. I was against messing with anything else on a rifle that has otherwise been flawless over many thousands of rounds, so I took it off. Problem solved.

Thomas M-4
12-09-10, 11:54
Are you using magpul followers in the USGI brownells mags?
My LMT would only lock the bolt back 1/2 the time with brownell mags until I swapped out the followers.

aklaunch
12-09-10, 12:12
Thanks you guys,

I am going to start from scratch again. I think i will remove the B.A.D. lever and use heavier lube as recommended by the manufacturer. That way i can evaluate magazine performance with out any outside factors.

If all goes well and the weapon works as advertised i will install the B.A.D. lever again to see if it was in fact the lighter lube. If it does the same thing i will consider the advice posted above. I am guessing that the B.A.D. lever is the culprit though. But who knows? Could be a (BCG) issue. Will post the results in time.

NewbieDave
12-11-10, 18:37
Had same issues with 20/PMags & BAD... several of my buddies also had same issue. All with 20/PMags. We recut some 30/springs and swapped out the mag spring... problem resolved.

Somehow, with the extra weight on the bolt catch it takes a little bit more spring power to puch it up. That's my diagnose of the problem, could be wrong... but like I say, the stronger spring resolve the issues.

~dpc

Belmont31R
12-11-10, 18:50
If I were in your shoes Id ditch the BAD lever. Lots of people have problems with them, and Im not about to go hacking up springs and mags to get the damn thing to work. Then they are loose on many people's bolt catch levers, and the "fix" for that was to epoxy the BAD to the bolt catch.

All for a 30 dollar product? :rolleyes:

scottryan
12-11-10, 19:04
I have an LMT upper that i attach and have not had any problems with failure to lock back. I am hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction regarding if they think a different oil could solve my problem.

Well what does that tell you?

If your gun cannot run on everything from WD-40 to motor oil, you need a new gun.

Iraqgunz
12-11-10, 23:36
We hear time and time again that the BAD lever causes problems on some AR's. The last thing I would do is start dicking with springs and clipping stuff. Remove the BAD and operate the weapon without it.

ForTehNguyen
12-13-10, 09:28
need to have some play in the bolt catch. Tight fitting bolt catches have a much higher chance of not functioning with a BAD. Its not surprising that its loose on bolt catches when not all bolt catches are built the same.

Running four BADs and have never had a problem with any of them locking back, and they all have looser fitting bolt catches before the BADs were installed.

Pog926
12-13-10, 10:24
His recommendation was to use CLP oil instead of the Remoil i have been currently running. So what are you gonna do if they stop making CLP?

ra2bach
12-13-10, 10:24
Good morning you guys.

I have a rifle that is failing to lock the bolt back after the last round is fired.

This story is going to seem silly and i know what to do to correct it but...

Ok, so here it goes. I have a DPMS Mark 12 upper on a LMT Defender lower. The weapon worked great until i installed the Magpul B.A.D. lever and the BCM tactical charging handle. I currently run Magpul 20 and 30 round Pmag clips and also use the Brownells USGI mags.

Here is the deal though.... It always locks back with the Pmag 30 but locks back about 25% of the time with the Pmag 20 and the USGI mags.

I know this would be and easy fix if i just removed the B.A.D. lever. But i am trying to make it work because i like the idea of the system. I called up Mark over there at DPMS and did not mention the B.A.D. lever. His recommendation was to use CLP oil instead of the Remoil i have been currently running.

Thanks for you time.

what is a Pmag clip? you mean the cover that snaps onto the top and pushes the rounds down and keeps dirt out?

aklaunch
12-13-10, 10:26
Thanks DPC,

I just took the B.A.D off. Tired of stressing over it. The weapon works as advertised now.

Shiz
12-14-10, 08:24
I believe you chose the best option.

Gutshot John
12-14-10, 09:12
I believe you chose the best option.

I agree.