PDA

View Full Version : Help with DMR type build.

C-grunt
12-09-10, 10:57
This might get a bit long winded.

My next rifle is gonna be a DMR style rifle. It wont fit the specific molds of any of the standards but what Im looking for is a 5.56 rig that is capable out to 600 or so yards. Any further and I got my .308 M700.

So I got about 1300 bucks coming in to use. Currently I have a Noveske N4 light Recce with a drop in Troy rail system, non FF. I want to have a good general purpose carbine along with my new DMR.

Optic is going to be a Leupold Mk AR 1-4, unless you guys know of another good option around 300 bucks.

New uppers I have been looking at are several SS 16 and 18 inch uppers from BCM and Noveske's 18 inch Rogue Hunter.

Both of these would obviously work well for my purpose but wouldnt leave me any money for a lower. I would have to use my current lower for both uppers until I could gather up enough money for a good lower. While I know a good lower, blem BCM, isnt very expensive we are currently trying to become credit card free and buying another house outside of the ghetto.

My second option Ive been thinking is just buying a standard lightweight BCM carbine and turning the N4 Light into the DMR. It wouldnt be as accurate as the other uppers but I believe it shouldnt have much problem at 600 yards with good ammo. Throwing a Omega rail on there would help out too.

This option would give me two complete rifles right away.

What do you guys think. Help me spend my money.

Militant83
12-09-10, 12:20
Id go with a BCM SS 18" barreled upper, get whatever rails suit you, Build a lower off of a BCM blem lower or a spikes lower and throw a magpul PRS stock on it, some harris bipods

ShootinRN
12-09-10, 20:25
I am heading towards the same end goal myself...

I have settled on a Centurion DMR upper. At $950 ready to go and a proven barrel, it would leave you cash to go towards a BCG, charging handle, lower, A2 stock and LPK. While that may take you slightly over depending where you source parts, you may be able to look in the couch cushions for some extra scratch...!

I don't have any experience with either but have researched them extensively and it came down to the BCM stainless 18" and the Centurion and I like everything I have heard about them both. In the end though the nod went to the Centurion because of the origin of the barrel. Lots of info on the site about both barrels...

Good luck with the CC thing by the way...a pretty freeing way of life.

C-grunt
12-09-10, 21:45
I should say the scope is comming out of that 1300. So its more like 1k for the upper or new rifle.

ErikTaylor
12-09-10, 22:57
Id go with a BCM SS 18" barreled upper, get whatever rails suit you, Build a lower off of a BCM blem lower or a spikes lower and throw a magpul PRS stock on it, some harris bipods

That would be my almost identical recommendation. Also if you do go with Harris it's a swivel model. Also one overlooked facet is a anti cant level for the scope. If your reticle is canted when you're shooting shot's aren't going to be consistent. That is, if you go with a precision scope over a 1-4x.

C-grunt
12-10-10, 20:43
That would be my almost identical recommendation. Also if you do go with Harris it's a swivel model. Also one overlooked facet is a anti cant level for the scope. If your reticle is canted when you're shooting shot's aren't going to be consistent. That is, if you go with a precision scope over a 1-4x.

Nah its gonna be a 1-4 or something like that. Anything that I cant engage with a 4x I will use the .308.

1stIDvet
12-15-10, 00:10
Scope wise, Im using the leatherwood CMR 1-4x. I believe you can get it for $250.00 at SWFA.com. Check it out, you might like it.

Cameron
12-15-10, 00:20
New uppers I have been looking at are several SS 16 and 18 inch uppers from BCM and Noveske's 18 inch Rogue Hunter.

Since you already have a nice Noveske Recce you can't go wrong with either the Noveske or the BCM 18" upper.

I recently got a BCM SS410 Ion Bonded 18" SPR upper and it is a tack driver. 100% reliable and sub MOA accurate. I am very happy with it.

I wouldn't worry about a 2nd lower until funds permit. I recently got two of the BCM blemished lowers. They are great.

BCM SPR & DD Recce
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/5134174023_5f8436c7e2_b.jpg

Scope wise, Im using the leatherwood CMR 1-4x. I believe you can get it for $250.00 at SWFA.com. Check it out, you might like it.

How long have you had it, is it holding a zero after several range sessions? I'm thinking about one for my FAL.

Cameron

1stIDvet
12-15-10, 01:23
I have had it since September, only 5 range trips, holds zero great so far. I believe it to be a great low price range scope. Something you use until you can afford what you really want.

-This guy has one on his FAL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCzUOcfKRc

Blayglock
01-08-11, 00:27
I am doing something similar. Not building really, just assembling. I got a good deal on a 18" RRA Varmint A4 upper and a hell of a deal on a RRA complete lower with match trigger from another source. I am going to change the stock out, pick up some good glass and call it a day.

Belmont31R
01-08-11, 00:55
Since you are on a budget here is my recommendation:

Get a mid grade barrel (mostly price wise) like a WOA. Buy a BCM complete upper receiver ($100 or so), BCM BCG and CH.

As for the rail you definitely want to go FF, and I would scour the web for a quality used FF tube. I actually have a used KAC FF RAS on my Mk12 build I got ahold of when I was building that upper. I would call either ADCO or Gun Gallery in Jax, FL, and see if they have a quality used tube that will work. Gun Gallery in FL built my upper, and when I asked about the KAC FF RAS, Neil, the owner, said they had a used but like new rail for about half the price of brand new. Even with top notch parts I ended up well below 1k for the upper, and since I bought the rail from Gun Gallery they did the assembly on the upper for free. I just had to ship them the parts sans the rail which they had.

I would not get irons until you can afford them since the glass is the primary optic, and most important.

Speaking of the glass I would really try to bump up that top end magnification to 5 or 6. Over the last 8 months Ive really been concentrating on improving my long range shooting, and Ive shot long range with a 4X ACOG, 1-4X Short Dot, and 3-12X50 Schmidt and Bender PMII USMC scope. My Short Dot is on my 308 semi auto right now, and I do shoot it out to 750 on a weekly basis. However its WAY easier to shoot past 500 with a scope with higher magnification.

I think even 4X is capable of basically torso area hits at 600 it just doesn't have the power to do much more than put the reticle on the target, and have a general aiming point.

legumeofterror
01-10-11, 14:39
For the optic I would recomend the Burris TAC30 1-4x23. Unlike the leupold it is true 1x at the lowest power setting and has a BDC reticle for 55 gr. 5.56 at 3250 FPS out to 600 yards. I am very pleased with mine. They are $300 as well.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/LegumeOfTerror/Burris/IMG_8698.jpg