PDA

View Full Version : My two BCMs are finally complete

bleaman225
12-09-10, 12:15
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/IMG_3199.jpg

I've been working on building a new SBR upper and a mid-length gas gun over the last month or so. The general idea for both guns was to keep them lightweight. Some of my builds in the past have gotten heavy by the end of a training weekend. Everything is pretty much finalized (I think) on both guns except they both need lights and the middy needs a foreward sling mount. Regardless, I had the day off and it was sunny so I snapped a few pics so enjoy. Maybe I can get some advice for light mounts/setups.

SBR

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/IMG_3202.jpg
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/IMG_3204.jpg

Build list:
BCM BFH 11.5" upper assembly w/ bcg & gunfighter
BattleComp 1.0
KAC URX II
T1/LT660 & Troy rear
Spikes Tact. sbr'd lower

I'm about a year late on building an 11.5" like this but what the hell. Late is better than never. Haven't even gotten this upper out to shoot yet but I have a feeling it should be a keeper. Handles very nicely and is far lighter than my previous Noveske 10.5 ss upper. Just need to figure out the light setup for it and get some trigger time with her.

Middy

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/IMG_3210.jpg
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/IMG_3218.jpg

Build list:
BCM 14.5 mid-length upper assembly w/ bcg & gunfighter
permed Surefire brake
Magpul MOE handguards
T1/KAC mount & MBUS rear
BCM blem lower assembly

This gun is quickly becoming my favorite all around. It is light, it has no muzzle movement period and just feels right in my hands. I still am not sure about the Surefire brake being permed on there but the weld can still be ground if needed. That mb does work good though... I have a solution for the sling mount in the works, I saw it somewhere in a thread here. Just need to get over to my buddies machine shop and make it. As far as a light mount, anybody know when IWC will have their TMC SCOUT LIGHT MOUNT-N-SLOT for the mid length MOEs ready????????
I think I'm going to wait for them:D:D:D:D

Militant83
12-09-10, 12:25
2 great looking sticks you have there...

gatordev
12-09-10, 12:27
Both guns look great. I'm curious about your lower seleciton...

I have a BCM 14.5 (pinned) middy I just built with a Spike's Lower. I'm very happy with the fit and finish of both and there's zero play between the two.

Come the new year, I'll probably start down the path of a NFA gun along the lines of what you built there. I'm curious how you or other members chose a lower for it, since it's the part that is the life of the NFA gun. I'm thinking of doing another Spike's because of the great customer service and fit with the last one. Just wondering what your thought process was (and not trying to second guess your choice by any means).

If I'm hijacking your thread, my apologies, but your SBR is in line with what I'm looking to do.

bleaman225
12-09-10, 13:57
Both guns look great. I'm curious about your lower seleciton...

I have a BCM 14.5 (pinned) middy I just built with a Spike's Lower. I'm very happy with the fit and finish of both and there's zero play between the two.

Come the new year, I'll probably start down the path of a NFA gun along the lines of what you built there. I'm curious how you or other members chose a lower for it, since it's the part that is the life of the NFA gun. I'm thinking of doing another Spike's because of the great customer service and fit with the last one. Just wondering what your thought process was (and not trying to second guess your choice by any means).

If I'm hijacking your thread, my apologies, but your SBR is in line with what I'm looking to do.

I Form 1'd my lower about 2 years ago. It basically came down to what stripped lowers I had laying around at the time. It was either the Spikes or a Colt. My plan was to keep one to SBR and sell teh other. I figured i could get more $$$$ for the Colt so I sold it to help pay for the tax stamp. There really wasn't any true logic involved with my decision. Spikes makes some nice stuff.

I think most importantly, pick a well machined, quality brand lower and I don't think you can go wrong. If I was to do it over again right now, I would either pick up another blemished BCM lower or I would get one of the stripped Daniel Defense lowers that G&R has for sale.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DD-22000

SWATcop556
12-09-10, 14:06
Very nice looking rifles. I personally feel that the X300 makes a great WML for a SBR. I've had very good luck with mine and I'm also running an 11.5 BCM with a Larue 10.0 rail.

The new mini scout lights from Surefire are also very nice lights. For mounts I would also point people towards Gear Sector. Some of the most rock solid, low profile mounts out there.

bleaman225
12-09-10, 14:27
Very nice looking rifles. I personally feel that the X300 makes a great WML for a SBR. I've had very good luck with mine and I'm also running an 11.5 BCM with a Larue 10.0 rail.

The new mini scout lights from Surefire are also very nice lights. For mounts I would also point people towards Gear Sector. Some of the most rock solid, low profile mounts out there.

SHIT, I totally forgot about the Gear Sector X300 offset mounts. Despite having just looked at one my buddy has on his DD gun not even two weeks ago...
I have a mini scout that I plan to put on the middy as soon as IWC comes out with their midlength moe mount n slot for it. Maybe I'll just make my own holes to mount the carbine length ones....

Now you got the gerbils turning my thinking wheels. Thanks Swatcop!!!!!!!

gatordev
12-09-10, 20:00
I Form 1'd my lower about 2 years ago. It basically came down to what stripped lowers I had laying around at the time. It was either the Spikes or a Colt. My plan was to keep one to SBR and sell teh other. I figured i could get more $$$$ for the Colt so I sold it to help pay for the tax stamp. There really wasn't any true logic involved with my decision. Spikes makes some nice stuff.

I think most importantly, pick a well machined, quality brand lower and I don't think you can go wrong. If I was to do it over again right now, I would either pick up another blemished BCM lower or I would get one of the stripped Daniel Defense lowers that G&R has for sale.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DD-22000

Wow, that's a great deal on the DD lower. Thanks for the info.

Enoc
12-09-10, 20:27
Great builds man. I also did the same thing as far as form 1ing the lower I had at the time (RRA) it's great, but I will definitely do a Daniel Defense lower if I do another SBR. I love that flared magwell.

triggs75
12-09-10, 21:05
Very nice builds. I am looking for very simular with your middy. wish we could have some sbr's here. Very nice

Chad

ErikTaylor
12-09-10, 22:43
I'm digging the SBR. Hopefully one day I'll get around to building one.