PDA

View Full Version : Strength of QD Swivels?

Meplat
12-09-10, 18:27
I asked this in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own thread to gauge how tough QD swivels are from more people's experiences.
In your experience, how tough and durable are QD swivels?
Do they break often?
Do they wear out?
What other short comings have you noticed with QD swivels?
Do you use them for serious/hard use and trust them?
Please feel free to add anything else you think is relevant about them.
Thanks.

reccerecon
12-09-10, 20:29
I've never had a problem with them. I have a versa pod with them, I can lock in tight with my sling and havnt had it break. I also have one on my Troy rail without any failures. The only thing I don't like about them is they make extra noise. I did have an old swivel that took some extra pressure to completely lock in the versa pod mount. I do like being able to mount them in different directions, and having a backup QD for CQC/mounted situations is always nice. Hope this helps.

M4Fundi
12-10-10, 00:55
I posted in a thread awhile back that I had my worries about them jamming up from talcum like dust or dirt as I have had this happen with other equipment that used a similar locking system, (but not the actual gun QD swivels) and IraqNinja said he had been using them in the Sandbox for years and never had a problem. I personally would not use them on a harduse rifele unless I needed them, but if I needed them I would feel comfortable. Personally I can't get use to them mounted on the stock, but that is just me;)

Moose-Knuckle
12-10-10, 16:56
A quality swivel will give at about 350 to 400 lbs of pull. If built right the socket is more sturdy than the swivel.

This is an informative read as well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52846&highlight=plate

kartoffel
12-10-10, 18:39
QD swivels are certainly stronger than the plastic quick releases and buckles commonly found on slings. If you're OK with those, I don't see why you'd have 2nd thoughts about a QD swivel.

Meplat
12-10-10, 18:59
Good info, guys. Thanks for all of it.
I'm definitely convinced that QD swivels are up to the challenge for durability and robustness, but as M4Fundi mentioned, is there anything anyone has to say about them wearing out over time from use or binding up from grit or sand or anything like that?

Moose-Knuckle
12-10-10, 19:06
Good info, guys. Thanks for all of it.
I'm definitely convinced that QD swivels are up to the challenge for durability and robustness, but as M4Fundi mentioned, is there anything anyone has to say about them wearing out over time from use or binding up from grit or sand or anything like that?

There are a few other threads on the matter. In one fellow member Iraq Ninja comments that he had not had any trouble with the talcom like sand of the middle east in any of his QD rigs. YMMV.

reccerecon
12-10-10, 19:33
I've also had sand, mud and crud in mine, no real problem with them unless some small pebbles in the mud get on exposed parts, but that's a rare occerance, and that's what maintainance is for. They are machined to fairly tight tolerances so no worries about more then dust/sand getting in there with the QD in locked in place.

kartoffel
12-10-10, 20:58
I ran a QD sling at a very muddy Appleseed shoot not long ago. Used the QD to take the sling on and off the rifle while leaving the sling cinched on my support arm. Off and on lots of times, covered with mud, against the clock. Just wipe off the worst of the crud and jam it in there - no problems.

Cleanup was as simple as an old toothbrush and some CLP.

ucrt
12-10-10, 22:32

For QD's, there seems to be a varying stoutness of build. I've seen some that look like the loops are made from coat hangers and some that look like the loops were made from 16-penny nails.

Are there particular brands to buy and ones to stay away from?

reccerecon
12-10-10, 23:35
Uncle mikes and GG&G make some good ones. I think Leapers makes some that are junk.