PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Own A High Standard AR??

traindriver
12-10-10, 00:22
Checked out a pawn shop that was loaded down with AR's. Most of the big manfacturers could be found. I looked at a $1200.00 S&W M&P15 first then the guy handed me a M4 type AR with a $575.00 Price tag on it. The rifle was made by High Standard! The rifle looked very good and had a great trigger pull. does anyone out there own one of these rifles? If so how do you feel it stacks up compaired to the bigger brand name AR's

CLHC
12-10-10, 00:48
Here's a few threads I've found on said AR.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=522013

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=264212

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24778

traindriver
12-10-10, 08:55
CLHC, thanks for the threads about the Hight Standard AR. So far I'm seeing many good reports on the rifle.

RancidSumo
12-10-10, 16:38
CLHC, thanks for the threads about the Hight Standard AR. So far I'm seeing many good reports on the rifle.

I think you are seeing what you want to see. I read through those threads and saw no posts by anyone who had a high enough round count through the rifle to make a qualified statement of whether or not it is good. There were also a few bad things about them (non-chrome lined barrels, 1/9 twist). If you are going to be putting not very many rounds down range with it then you might be okay but I'd stick with more well known quantities if you plan on shooting very much.

Avenger29
12-10-10, 21:11
Checked out a pawn shop that was loaded down with AR's. Most of the big manfacturers could be found. I looked at a $1200.00 S&W M&P15 first then the guy handed me a M4 type AR with a $575.00 Price tag on it. The rifle was made by High Standard! The rifle looked very good and had a great trigger pull. does anyone out there own one of these rifles? If so how do you feel it stacks up compaired to the bigger brand name AR's

Sounds like you are shopping at the wrong shop.

Don't go for the el cheapo option. High Standard used to make excellent .22 pistols, but the closest the current company gets to the old company is the name.

TinMan556
12-10-10, 23:53
I had never seen a high standard AR, learn something new everyday

ucrt
12-11-10, 00:00
I had never seen a high standard AR, learn something new everyday

=================

From what I remember, somebody in Houston bought the name and cranked out some AR's during the panic. Think they have got out of the AR business already.

Suwannee Tim
12-11-10, 05:07
Sounds like you are shopping at the wrong shop.

Don't go for the el cheapo option. High Standard used to make excellent .22 pistols, but the closest the current company gets to the old company is the name.

I have several High Standard pistols, some old High Standard, some new High Standard, ALL excellent. Further, I lurk on Bullseye forums and can scarce recall seeing a criticism of new High Standard. In short, new High Standard is fully the equal or the better of old High Standard. Don't make up then spread malicious shit Avenger.

Suwannee Tim
12-11-10, 05:08
I don't know if they still make them but I'm betting they don' t make a lot of them. They may one day have some collector value.

ucrt
12-11-10, 09:07
I don't know if they still make them but I'm betting they don' t make a lot of them. They may one day have some collector value.

==============================

A friend of mine used to write the High Standard section in the Blue Book and he once told me the only guns the old High Standard company made that will really ever have collector value are their pistols. I have several of their .22 revolvers and they are great but they are not collector stuff. I had a pretty rare mint HS .22 pump rifle that I couldn't give away at the New Orleans Gun Show last year.

Since either they don't make them anymore or they don't make many of them, I'd assume that their AR's are lower tier. I just figured they were kind of regional since they're from Houston.

I would not buy one speculating on collector value and I wouldn't buy one because there are too many top tier guns you can get now at good prices.

But maybe it's just me...

Marty916
12-11-10, 09:36
Evidently they still manufacture AR's:
http://highstandard.com/

Pilgrim
12-11-10, 09:52
One of those threads was mine...

This is still the only High Standard AR I've ever fired, or seen for that matter.

I was able to fire it again not long ago, and was surprised to find it outstandingly accurate . With optics it's 1 MOA with ease. I did some of my best shooting ever with it. Would make a very good 'truck gun' or hunting rifle.

Nothing I'd patrol the hills of Afghanistan with, it's certainly a functional AR which is better than much of the lower tier AR's out there I've seen.

traindriver
12-11-10, 10:41
Pilgram I appreciate the personal experience you've shared thus far on this topic. Also the opinions of other fellow members of the forum. I was just frankly shocked to stumble upon an AR made by High Standard. I had not thought about the company since I shot some of their old .22's back in the late 70's-early 80's. I will be buying some kind af AR this coming year. Was really wanting to get the Smith M&P 15-22 MOE for cheap shooting and working on my AR handling skills. When you look at the cost of said rifle I could kick in a tad more and get the HS AR. Heck in fact if I were going to drop $1100-$1300 for one rifle, I could instead get into both and still have money for accessories. I'm one that likes the big name items but I like the so-called underdogs too as long as the underdogs work. Example I bought a PT1911 instead of a $1200 Kimber. The PT has run just as good and in some cases better than the high ends on the line beside me at any given time. I think this has been a most interesting topic. It has certianly stimulated some of us. After all Isn't fun what our shared interest in firearms is all about:cool:

lethal dose
12-11-10, 10:53
i'd exercise caution. 1/9 twist isn't optimal, no mention of chrome lined bore/chamber, i have my doubts that the chamber is a true 5.56, no mention of what steel the barrel is made of, no mention of proper gas key staking, no mention of weather or not ANYTHING has undergone proper qc inspections, etc. all in a pkg they are marketing as "mil spec". i'd be staying away from the "weapon" at all costs. their website is stating that they're all above $900. why this would even be a consideration, is beyond me.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C

this is, without a doubt, one of the best deals running. even if you could get that "high standard" otd for around $600, another $300 will go a LONG way. trust me.

ra2bach
12-11-10, 11:06
I have several High Standard pistols, some old High Standard, some new High Standard, ALL excellent. Further, I lurk on Bullseye forums and can scarce recall seeing a criticism of new High Standard. In short, new High Standard is fully the equal or the better of old High Standard. Don't make up then spread malicious shit Avenger.

your experience may be different than mine but I have one of the older Supermatic Citation pistols with one original magazine. I thought I would like to have a different one for range use to spare this one wear and tear so I picked up one of the new ones produced by new company, Mitchell Arms, I believe?

long story short, even with going to the website and getting the original specs for the feedlips, the mag still won't function properly. and from what I have been able to tell, this is common. I have heard more warnings about the new "junk" High Standard mags than compliments. but this is just another one man's experience.

so don't be in a hurry to jump down somebody's throat just because their experience differs from yours. all this personal experience is anecdotal anyway, but this is a discussion board, after all...

Suwannee Tim
12-11-10, 11:16
Trouble with High Standard magazines is as old as High Standard itself. They all but admit such in their detailed instructions for "tuning" magazines and in their offers to do it for you. The quality of the new guns is certainly as good and in my estimation better than the old guns. I think a big part of this might be modern equipment. I hear a lot of trash talked on the interwebs and I don't react to even a small fraction of it. But when someone talks gratuitous trash at the expense of a good company I may react and in this case I have. Avenger29's bashing of High Standard is gratuitous trash. If he wants to attempt to back it up with some examples or facts, let's hear them. This kind of trash talk hurts good people.

I have two old High Standards and two new. I have seen hundreds of old High Standards and shot dozens. I have seen a dozen or so new High Standards and shot maybe six of them. The new High Standard pistols are the equal at least and probably better than the old. New High Standard has a good reputation in the Bullseye community which is the primary marked for their pistols. I have talked to the folks running new High Standard and was very impressed with their commitment to the project. Again, I don't like to see good people gratuitously bashed.

ucrt
12-11-10, 11:35
Pilgram I appreciate the personal experience you've shared thus far on this topic. Also the opinions of other fellow members of the forum. I was just frankly shocked to stumble upon an AR made by High Standard. I had not thought about the company since I shot some of their old .22's back in the late 70's-early 80's. I will be buying some kind af AR this coming year. Was really wanting to get the Smith M&P 15-22 MOE for cheap shooting and working on my AR handling skills. When you look at the cost of said rifle I could kick in a tad more and get the HS AR. Heck in fact if I were going to drop $1100-$1300 for one rifle, I could instead get into both and still have money for accessories. I'm one that likes the big name items but I like the so-called underdogs too as long as the underdogs work. Example I bought a PT1911 instead of a $1200 Kimber. The PT has run just as good and in some cases better than the high ends on the line beside me at any given time. I think this has been a most interesting topic. It has certianly stimulated some of us. After all Isn't fun what our shared interest in firearms is all about:cool:

===========================

The HS site does not list a lot of info other than "mil-spec". "Mil-spec" is a term thrown around to impress the "uninformed". From what they do list, twist and barrel steel, they are not mil-spec. If HS guns were mil-spec, they would have listed the other mil-specs attributes, such as chrome-lined, MPI, HPT, shot peening, etc.

Sounds like you are satisfied with "...just as good as..." guns and are looking for someone to agree with you on the HS.

If it was me, I'd save my money ($400-$500)for a much better gun. Don't know what else we can say??

jklaughrey
12-11-10, 11:37
Why buy ground beef when a ribeye is just a few dollars more!

Beat Trash
12-11-10, 12:04
Why buy ground beef when a ribeye is just a few dollars more!

This is a good way of putting it.

The High standard might be ok if you are only looking for something to play with at a plinking range. There's nothing wrong with range toys, so long as you don't try to make it more than that.

But if the gun is ever to be used for defense of one's self or others, then I'd go for another manufacture. One who's gun is assembled using proven materials, parts and methods.

Many want to go cheap when talking of a "truck gun/trunk gun". The idea being that the dollar investment should be kept low in case the gun is lost, damaged or stolen. The thing you must keep in mind is the intended purpose for a truck/trunk gun. In my mind, a truck/trunk gun is for defense while on the road. Cheap is nice, but if the gun isn't reliable when you needed it most, did you really save?

I'd rather look for a lightly used gun of known quality manufacture than buy a cheaply made gun.