PDA

View Full Version : S&W 1911s, Pros/Cons

Irish10
12-10-10, 16:47
I'm curious about how everyone feels about the S&W 1911s. I own six of them, three full size, one full size w/tac rail and two Gunsite Commanders. Most of these with the exception of one of the Gunsites are either close to or exceeded the 10k mark without any major issues. Granted there not even close to my Rock Rivers but for the price I feel they are extremely dependable, well built and accurate weapons. I know the big bitch is the external extractor, three of mine tossed rounds back at my face initially but once they had 300 or 400 rounds thru them, it was a non-issue. The only major gripe I have is the cheap ACT mags but again out of the 12 I had only two cracked and they are easily replaceable. Why they didn't stick with Wilsons like my first "Billboard" model came with, who knows. Anyway, whats the consensus on these? Anyone had any major issues or heard of any? After reading the post on the Taurus 1911s, I'm curious and I agree with everyone that the Taurus is probably at the bottom of the 1911 pile! Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Redhat
12-10-10, 17:27
I have a 1911PD Commander with about 1k through it. I got it lightly used and to date have had no stoppages even with the ACT mags. I also have used Wilson 47Ds with success.

Only CON is the factory sights I would like to replace them with Warren Tactical sights.

Irish10
12-10-10, 17:59
FWIW it's the older or 1st gen ACT mags that had the cracking issues, haven't heard of any issues with the newer ones which are also sold under the Novaks and Wolf names. In terms of the sights, I agree and replaced all of mine with Heinie Ledge Straight 8s, this system just works better for my eyes. The originals which they say are Novaks are in fact made in house by S&W but are exactly the same. I'm more interested in any "mechanical" issues but thanks for your input.

cdunn
12-10-10, 18:04
I love mine about 3k rds. through, light,accurate runs great.the only cons I can think of is sight selection.and that I only have one.I just ordered a nighthawk magwell for it.
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/ca_dunn/motorcycle/1911s%20and%20others/DSCN9915.jpg

Redhat
12-10-10, 18:08
FWIW it's the older or 1st gen ACT mags that had the cracking issues, haven't heard of any issues with the newer ones which are also sold under the Novaks and Wolf names. In terms of the sights, I agree and replaced all of mine with Heinie Ledge Straight 8s, this system just works better for my eyes. The originals which they say are Novaks are in fact made in house by S&W but are exactly the same. I'm more interested in any "mechanical" issues but thanks for your input.

Irish,

The rear sight on mine has "Novak" stamped on it. The Heinie sights are okay with me as long as the fit right on with no modification. I too need a wider rear notch for my eyes.

Cagemonkey
12-10-10, 18:19
I have one. Added Simonich Gunner grips, grip tape on the front strap and removed the firing pin safety components. Shoots great and haven't had any problems.

300WM
12-10-10, 19:14
I'm curious about how everyone feels about the S&W 1911s.]
[ After reading the post on the Taurus 1911s, I'm curious and I agree with everyone that the Taurus is probably at the bottom of the 1911 pile! Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

I have shot three of them, and one at fifty yards with about 50 rds. They are good enough in my opinion. But, I am not a gun fighter, I am a paper puncher.

Not everyone is saying the Taurus is at the bottom of the 1911 pile. You will have to dig all the way to the bottom and there you will find some Para GI Experts, some Rock Islands, and some American Classic/Firestorms.

Never think Taurus and Smith and Wesson do not still share information.

Rinspeed
12-11-10, 12:39
Never owned one but they sure have a great reputation.

coloccw
12-11-10, 14:49
We use them for training and have hadno issues with them, mechanically or accuracy-wise. All replaced sights, added magwells, and run wilson & McCormick mags without flaws. I've got over 10K and don't hesitate to carry it or run 7-800 rounds through it in a day.

Redhat
12-11-10, 21:25
We use them for training and have hadno issues with them, mechanically or accuracy-wise. All replaced sights, added magwells, and run wilson & McCormick mags without flaws. I've got over 10K and don't hesitate to carry it or run 7-800 rounds through it in a day.

Any issues with the grip activated firing pin safety? What sights did you guys go to?

Thanks

cdunn
12-12-10, 05:08

which magwell are you using?any pics?I'd like to see one.

Irish10
12-12-10, 15:55
Looks like everyone has the same conclusion that they are fairly decent 1911s for the price point. I replace all MIM parts one one of my full size ones, EGW ignition, hammer and bushing, Brown Thumb and Grip safeties, also did a bobtail which is unusual for a Govt model. On my Tac Rail model I replaced the factory bushing with a Briley Spherical setup which I also have on two 4566s, a CQB 45 and Recon 45. Made a significant difference in the groups and was fairly easy to fit. So far no issues with the "Swarz" safety but I'm glad to see they are offering a model without it now that has a titanium firing pin. Hilton Yam seemed to be fairly impressed with the one he T&E'd and I belive it also has the PC or impoved external extractor setup.

C4IGrant
12-12-10, 16:10
I'm curious about how everyone feels about the S&W 1911s. I own six of them, three full size, one full size w/tac rail and two Gunsite Commanders. Most of these with the exception of one of the Gunsites are either close to or exceeded the 10k mark without any major issues. Granted there not even close to my Rock Rivers but for the price I feel they are extremely dependable, well built and accurate weapons. I know the big bitch is the external extractor, three of mine tossed rounds back at my face initially but once they had 300 or 400 rounds thru them, it was a non-issue. The only major gripe I have is the cheap ACT mags but again out of the 12 I had only two cracked and they are easily replaceable. Why they didn't stick with Wilsons like my first "Billboard" model came with, who knows. Anyway, whats the consensus on these? Anyone had any major issues or heard of any? After reading the post on the Taurus 1911s, I'm curious and I agree with everyone that the Taurus is probably at the bottom of the 1911 pile! Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Love the 1911. Own a $2500 WC CQB and a custom built one that is worth about $5k. The WC CQB has been through MANY shooting schools and has always performed very well.

With that said, the 1911 is a purest weapon. Meaning that if you do not love the platform and are dedicated to its up keep and lubrication, it will let you down. It is commonly referred to as "The king of the feed way stoppage."

Two of the most well known 1911 instructors (and fans) have both proclaimed that the 1911 has pretty much seen its day. Its finicky nature and lack of rounds in the gun has pushed is behind much more reliable platforms like the Glock, M&P and HK.

I will never sell my 1911's, but their days of seeing training classes is over.

C4

Redhat
12-12-10, 17:35
So C4IGrant what does this have to do with S&W 1911's?

C4IGrant
12-12-10, 18:13
So C4IGrant what does this have to do with S&W 1911's?

That I really wouldn't buy one for hard use any more.

C4

WillBrink
12-12-10, 18:22

As you say, it's relative to the $$$$. There's only 2 real cons: the external extractor and the Schwartz-like internal safety. Purists don't like external extractors on 1911s, but there's nothing wrong with them from a functional perspective (the same can't be said for Kimber's attempt, but we wont go there...) and 1911 gurus like Hilton Yam, have nothing against external extractors if they are made correctly.

Hilton, and other 1911 gurus, who specifically talk about 1911s for duty/combat/SD use, will not recommend the S&W due to the internal safety, but I can tell you the Schwartz-like internal safety on the S&Ws has proven to be very robust and reliable. Regardless, 1911 purists will not recommend them, so that's a major issue/con for some regarding the S&W.

Early runs had some QC issues, such as poor barrel crowns and such, but generally cosmetic. Later runs seem to have more trigger play then the early runs, and I suspect there's less hands on time as they ramped up production. Again, no effects on reliability, but some dont like the left/right trigger play and want a tighter fit. I'm no 1911 smith, so can't comment far beyond that on the issue.

Also, S&W does make a few higher end custom 1911s, that compete in price with higher end production guns, in the 2k+ range. They are very limited produced from the the PC. As an prior adjunct to the training academy, I got a great discount on one:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/P1000285.jpg

WillBrink
12-12-10, 18:30
That I really wouldn't buy one for hard use any more.

C4

I really, really, REALLY, hate to agree with you on that, but sadly, I do. The MnP with Apex did it for me. Sad day indeed.

Redhat
12-12-10, 18:46
WillBrink,

I noticed on their website, the MSRP is way over the top especially compared to what I've seen them go for in gun stores.

I think I paid $450 for mine a couple of years ago (slightly used).

I wasw skeptical about the firing pin safety at first but I have never had an issue with it either.

I think the problem with 1911 pattern pistols today is so many manufacturers are making them but not to the original specs.

coloccw
12-12-10, 21:10
Any issues with the grip activated firing pin safety? What sights did you guys go to?

Thanks

tritium (or TFO) in front, heinie slant pros in rear. No issues with the firing pin safety at all.

coloccw
12-12-10, 21:12

Smith & Alexander magwell, flat mainspring housings, & I put ERGO XTR grips on it. Best 1911 I've had for the money and convinced me to get rid of the NY made 1911's

meausoc
12-12-10, 22:49
I would like to see S&W make one in 10mm. Colt has even brought back the Delta Elite this year.

Redhat
12-13-10, 11:24
Smith & Alexander magwell, flat mainspring housings, & I put ERGO XTR grips on it. Best 1911 I've had for the money and convinced me to get rid of the NY made 1911's

Why change out the main spring housing? I thought they came flat from the factory.

coloccw
12-13-10, 14:55
Why change out the main spring housing? I thought they came flat from the factory.
Part of the magwell. We've found the magwell with mainspring housing fits better than just a "speed chute" or similar. Personal preferences, nothing more.

sfsmedic
12-13-10, 17:53
Guess I will have to post mine once its back from the gunsmith. I use mine for IDPA. When I bought mine there were only two models made (first 3 months they were offered). Came with Wilson mags. My gun runs 100% reliable except for SWC projo's which is why the smith has it, barrel throat!

I have run mine 4 matches with 2 weeks in between matches at about 200 rounds per match and all reloads using dirty bullseye and lead bullets without cleaning it (a test, it was just club level). Zero hiccups, so for those of you proclaim their finicky beasts. It isnt necessarily true. A buddy owns a RogersPrecision built SA and hes gone longer with the same results. My military background refuses to go that long without cleaning. I work in law enforcement and I am a firearms instructor. I prefer to carry this gun than my issued Sig P229 (.357 sig).

Oh and my stock Novak sights are great, nothing wrong with them.

Redhat
12-13-10, 18:19
SFSmedic,

There's nothing wrong with Novak sights when you are young and have good eyes!

I need something with a wide rear notch so I can see lots of light.

sfsmedic
12-13-10, 19:28
SFSmedic,

There's nothing wrong with Novak sights when you are young and have good eyes!

I need something with a wide rear notch so I can see lots of light.

Ahh now see that's a legitimate issue that requires a legitimate fix. I must have missed this being the issue when stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coloccw
12-15-10, 20:59

Here is an older one with the original Novak reak (blacked out) and a simple Hi-Viz front. Magwell is a Smith & Alexander, with Ergo XTR Grips. It ran with McCromick and Wilson mags with any hiccups.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae207/coloccw/DSCN1335.jpg

cdunn
12-18-10, 05:36
I just replaced my mainspring housing with the Nighthawk mainspring housing/magwell with a 19lb.mainspring while apart I installed a C&S light sear spring, man what a difference it made.I will try to get a picture today.

WTDeBerry
12-19-10, 19:47
This is my first post, so bear with me, if you will. I know everyone has a different viewpoint on Nutnfancy, and I have read a few threads on him here on M4C, ya either love him or hate him. I think he is informative, but just barely. However, I am new to the 1911 platform, I own 2 glocks and a j-frame, and have been looking around for a 1911 for ccw/defensive purposes. I am only 23, and even though my dream 1911 is well out of my financial range right now (1200-1600), one day it will happen. Until then, a more affordable, yet quality 1911, will have to do. This leads me to this thread, and this - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nutnfancy#p/u/0/vTctyQhmIoU - I have been looking at S&W and they seem pretty good quality-wise, and this vid kinda pushes me more in that direction. HOWEVER, I would like to get different, more informative opinions on the matter, S&W or not S&W, because we all know that Nutnfancy ain't no expert..

Thanks in Advance,

WTDeBerry

sfsmedic
12-19-10, 20:20
I am very happy with mine and have only had a small issue that S&W fixed completely on their dime and fast. It's ran like a top ever since. I use it for competition and therefore put roughly 1000 rss a month through it. It's dead on accurate, in fact I took it to the smith to have the front strap checkered and we discussed a new nm barrel. His response was since the gun puts rounds on top of each other then don't mess with it. So simple wish I woulda thought of that lol. If you want to see my gun run there are some videos on YouTube under user name scandals. It's just IDPA so don't get too excited lol.

sfsmedic
12-20-10, 11:16
YouTube user name is sfsmedic, sometimes I hate auto spell correct. Scandals would be lame lol.

Irish10
12-20-10, 14:10
This is my first post, so bear with me, if you will. I know everyone has a different viewpoint on Nutnfancy, and I have read a few threads on him here on M4C, ya either love him or hate him. I think he is informative, but just barely. However, I am new to the 1911 platform, I own 2 glocks and a j-frame, and have been looking around for a 1911 for ccw/defensive purposes. I am only 23, and even though my dream 1911 is well out of my financial range right now (1200-1600), one day it will happen. Until then, a more affordable, yet quality 1911, will have to do. This leads me to this thread, and this - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nutnfancy#p/u/0/vTctyQhmIoU - I have been looking at S&W and they seem pretty good quality-wise, and this vid kinda pushes me more in that direction. HOWEVER, I would like to get different, more informative opinions on the matter, S&W or not S&W, because we all know that Nutnfancy ain't no expert..

Thanks in Advance,

WTDeBerry
As noted earlier I own six S&W 1911s and would trust mine and my families life to any of them. I have been shooting the 1911 platform since the mid 60s and have carried them on and off duty both in the military and as a LEO. In it's price range I don't think you can go wrong with any of the S&Ws. If something malfunctions you send S&W an e-mail, they send back a pre-paid FedEx/UPS label and off it goes. I have sent numerous guns back over the years and I'd say the average turnaround is about 8 working days which is pretty good in this industry. Best advice is do your homework, spend some time at the dealers and check out every model in your price range. Then decide which has the features you want, which offers the best warranty (hard to beat lifetime) and pick the one that fits your needs. It's fine to ask for opinions but it all comes down to what you want, not what we want.

WTDeBerry
12-20-10, 18:25
Scandals would be lame lol.

I was kind of thinking the same, lol. Very good vids, btw, and impressive shooting.

ps - Just curious, what model are you running in your vids, and what, if any, upgrades have you added on?

WTDeBerry
12-20-10, 18:26
it all comes down to what you want, not what we want.

Very sound advice. I truly appreciate your feedback.

sfsmedic
12-20-10, 18:57
I was kind of thinking the same, lol. Very good vids, btw, and impressive shooting.

ps - Just curious, what model are you running in your vids, and what, if any, upgrades have you added on?

That is the full-size billboard model 108282. Only one of two models they offered when I bought mine.

I had a magwell put on it. The kind that changes out the msh. It was along time ago so I don't know what brand I used. I believe I was maybe a S&A. Shot it that way quite awhile then did a trigger job to 3.5#. That was like night and day. Now it's in the shop having the front strap hand checkered (was using grip tape) to 30lpi, and the barrel throated because it didn't like swc's. Ran round nose no problem.

sfsmedic
01-17-11, 11:22
Got it back from the shop and posted some pics on here. Search for the forum I started.