PDA

View Full Version : BCG Keeps Getting Stuck Forward

jakeeboy31
12-11-10, 07:26
Guys.

Ive been a member here for a while but I have only posted once before so if this new thread is somehow a breach of edicate, please advise. I have checked other threads on this subject but my situation is different. Ill be quick.

My Afghan (VLTOR Upper), has about 8000 rounds with no previous issues. Yesterday my BCG got stuck forward after releaseing the bolt. "I motared it" and finished shooting the magazine. Next magazine went in and the BCG stuck forward again on the first round. Again I mortared it and noticed the bolt is missing going into battery by 1/8 of an inch. This problem doesnt happen everytime the bolt goes home but it did happen periodically throughout the training day and I do have a problem if my gun isnt reliable. It seems to me, something on the bolt or carrier or inside the forward assist is hanging up. I have eliminated the following possibilites

1. Its not ammo or magazine I changed out both and the situation persists. Other guys were useing the same ammo and magazines with 0 issues

2. Its not lube. The gun started wet and got wetter.

Thoughts?

mark5pt56
12-11-10, 07:32
Has it been cleaned properly in these 8000 rounds?

If not--do more than "knocking off the big stuff" and let us know if that works.

jakeeboy31
12-11-10, 07:43
Proper cleaning is part of of my religion. This gun is not part of safe decorations for my house. It has been used and abused over the last couple years but it has never missed a beat till now.

Low Drag
12-11-10, 07:49
You said you cleaned it so I assumer you made sure the barrel extension is free of crude. I'm sure you know any small chunk of crud in there will stop the bolt.

What about the cam pin? It all looks good?

Has this weapon only seen range time or has it been in the field as well?

mark5pt56
12-11-10, 07:54
Ok, the carrier well and bolt tail are good then. Chamber ok as well?

If it's getting stuck in or partially out of battery, I would take the bolt group apart and inspect the parts for obvious flaws.

after reassembly, compress and retract the bolt to see if there's an obvious sticking point. Then slowly cyle it without ammo to see if there's a particulair point that may help pinpoint it.

After that, if it doesn't work, I'm sure someone else has an answer.

Something in the locking phase is holding it up, whether it's excess carbon, debris, part(s) or ammo.

HeliPilot
12-11-10, 08:07
I was at the range a week or so ago and saw a guy that seemed to be having a similar problem, that is his BCG would not fully return to battery and he had trouble pulling it to the rear after releasing it. He found out that his problem was his gas tube. The new rail he had just installed was forcing the gas tube down thus not aligning it with the gas key properly, he simply loosened the rail system a bit and was good to go. Now you said that your rifle has been used and abused perhaps it shifted over time? Just a guess but I hadn't seem this potential problem posted already so I thought I'd bring it up.

jakeeboy31
12-11-10, 08:08
Ok guys thanks I ill get to work on inspection according to your suggestions. If the solution is embarassingly simple and I turn out looking like a fool, I will still post the solution.

Supermoto
12-11-10, 08:13
I had a gas key that was improperly stakes, come loose and tie up a rifle, Take everything apart, give it a good cleaning, look for anything that is out of the norm. If you don't see anything obvious. Try a different Bolt and BCG to help narrow the issue down

mark5pt56
12-11-10, 08:22
Ok guys thanks I ill get to work on inspection according to your suggestions. If the solution is embarassingly simple and I turn out looking like a fool, I will still post the solution.

Hey, we all learn alot from the simple things, errors, etc.

Hopefully it works out, please let us know.

And welcome to the site!

5pins
12-11-10, 08:35
Check your buffer spring and make sure it is the correct length (10 1/16 to 11 ¼). Flush out barrel extension with something like brake cleaner to make sure there is no debris. Make sure you don’t have a gas leak. Check carrier key, gastube, and gas block. Make sure the extractor spring is not broken and installed correctly and make sure the ejector moves freely and that there is no crud or brass keeping it from working.

jakeeboy31
12-11-10, 09:30
Ok. I swapped out bolts from one of my other guns that has a fraction of the round count and the problem remained. I went down the list of possibilties that you all offered and coudnt find a match. Even though I said earlier that cleaning is my religion as it turns out ......I have sinned. So, after a moment of self analysis I decided to change out chamber brushes and really give it a scrubbing. The rest is history.

Already this morning I have learned not to take Noveske reliabilty for granted, but I have also yet again been reminded that everything comes back to basics. This gun has been a gem, and my cursory swipes with the chamber brush caught up with me. My chamber was not properly cleaned. My lesson today is before you post a question make sure you dont already know the answer.

On the positive side, I have learned a whole bunch about the causes of a BCG getting stuck in or almost in battery. I learned The BCM Gunfighter CH and the CTR stock are quality peices of gear do to the fact that I violently mortared the gun ten times and both are no worse for the wear. Most importantly, my numerous malfunctions were a great test for me and my IA and RA skills during my training day. By now I should have known the issue.

Ill be on the Quarter Deck thrashing myself. Thanks fellas

ucrt
12-11-10, 09:44
Ok. I swapped out bolts from one of my other guns that has a fraction of the round count and the problem remained. I went down the list of possibilties that you all offered and coudnt find a match. Even though I said earlier that cleaning is my religion as it turns out ......I have sinned. So, after a moment of self analysis I decided to change out chamber brushes and really give it a scrubbing. The rest is history.

Already this morning I have learned not to take Noveske reliabilty for granted, but I have also yet again been reminded that everything comes back to basics. This gun has been a gem, and my cursory swipes with the chamber brush caught up with me. My chamber was not properly cleaned. My lesson today is before you post a question make sure you dont already know the answer.

On the positive side, I have learned a whole bunch about the causes of a BCG getting stuck in or almost in battery. I learned The BCM Gunfighter CH and the CTR stock are quality peices of gear do to the fact that I violently mortared the gun ten times and both are no worse for the wear. Most importantly, my numerous malfunctions were a great test for me and my IA and RA skills during my training day. By now I should have known the issue.

Ill be on the Quarter Deck thrashing myself. Thanks fellas

==============================

Tell us more....

What kind of ammo have you been shooting?
How many rounds since you thoroughly cleaned the chamber?
Could you see the crud in the chamber?
What kind crud was in the chamber to cause your problems?
Was there any crud in the barrel extension or locking lugs?
What did you clean the chamber with: plastic or metal brushes?
Were your fired cases deformed, dimpled, etc.?

The Afghan barrel is SS, isn't it? Wonder if a CL barrel would have still had the same issue?

Glad you resolved your problem.
Thanks

mark5pt56
12-11-10, 09:53
I like the brass chamber brushes, always use a good cleaner, 5-6 good rotations and the same for push/pulls. Let it sit for a few and swab out with a looped .30 cal patch and the Sinclair extension cleaner.

And yes other questions on ammo would be nice.