PDA

View Full Version : How can you spot a fake AFG?

Gunfighter 9
12-11-10, 08:25
Yesterday I got a package in the mail from a company called Norco USA. My brother ordred a Magpul AFG in FDE for me for XMAS. When I opened it up it was the wrong color. I think they shipped me one in foilage Green, and I think its fake. It was shipped in a clear plastic bag, and the screws all have hex or allen key heads in metric. I am pretty sure this is a ****ing chinese airsoft knock off, but I would appreciate any other opinions on the topic. I hope this is in the right forum. If not I appologize. The company selling it advertising this as a genuine Magpul product so if I determine its fake I'd like to report them to Magpul. Thanks. Below is the link to their listing.

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-AFG-1-Angled-Fore-Earth/dp/B003D20FW0/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&m=A1NGYFS33KNKKF&s=generic&qid=1292077432&sr=1-12

HeavyDuty
12-11-10, 08:37
Every AFG I've seen uses slotted screws.

Gunfighter 9
12-11-10, 08:39
Thats what I thought. I checked to photos at Magpuls site and found the same thing. I guess I will email Magpul and let them know. Thanks.

SpankMonkey
12-11-10, 08:47
Are you sure it's not a joke from your brother? sounds like something one of mine would do.

Gunfighter 9
12-11-10, 08:49
Yeah I'm sure. My brother has a sick sense of humor but not when it comes to guns. He was under the impression this was genuine magpul. He's just a thrifty bastard and thought he was getting a good deal since it was only $26.00.

mtdawg169
12-11-10, 08:52
The pic looks real, but the seller seems to be a rip off artist.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

HeavyDuty
12-11-10, 08:56
The listing even says the pic was stolen from Rainier. I'd report them to Amazon, too.

Gunfighter 9
12-11-10, 09:00
Good catch I will do that now. Thanks for the help guys.

Update: I sent an email to Magpul about the situation, but I couldn't figure out how to notify Amazon. It won't let me do a review of the product since I didn't order it under my ID. I guess the lesson here is stay the hell away from Amazon.

JSTICFRALL
12-11-10, 09:26
I just ordered one for one of my buddies for his next deployment and it has slotted screws as well.

jklaughrey
12-11-10, 09:33
Damn chicom airsoft knock offs. Only reason these bastards make this shit is for the spendthrift mall ninja gecko45's out there. If we get rid of the mall ninja's they should lose their market base. Hmmm ideas?

ucrt
12-11-10, 09:35

When y'all are saying "slotted screws", you're really meaning "screw" as in the one Main Clamping Screw?

My three AFG's have one slotted screw each, the Main Clamping Screw that has a hex nut on the other side and each AFG has an additional two allen head screws (without nuts on the other side) that hold the body together.

Correct?

dcgallim
12-11-10, 09:36
Damn chicom airsoft knock offs. Only reason these bastards make this shit is for the spendthrift mall ninja gecko45's out there. If we get rid of the mall ninja's they should lose their market base. Hmmm ideas?

Shhhh he's probaly listening. We don't want him to bring the pain on all of us. You better duct tape some ballistic plates to your back talking like that.

Gunfighter 9
12-11-10, 09:37
It's the airsoft community that keeps these pricks in business. I was into airsoft untill I bought my second high end AEG that broke in less than two days of ownership. Now these on line dealers buy this airsoft replica parts market them as genuine and by the time you realize you got screwed there isn't much you can do about it. The bad part is that there are people out there not smart enough to realize they are buying junk at nearly the same cost as the genuine products. Live and learn I guess. At least it wasn't my cash, but now I have a worthless gift.

jklaughrey
12-11-10, 09:42
I have anti Gecko45 repellent that also repels CTD products. Thus far it has worked. And my son ran airsoft for awhile but he used real accessories and cheap optics. Now he likes dirt bikes and I sold most of his airsoft crap.

PS Gecko45 if your listening I have trauma plates duct taped on every inch of my body so come get ninja master!

djegators
12-11-10, 09:45
Need to report this to Amazon and Magpul.

HeavyDuty
12-11-10, 09:54

When y'all are saying "slotted screws", you're really meaning "screw" as in the one Main Clamping Screw?

My three AFG's have one slotted screw each, the Main Clamping Screw that has a hex nut on the other side and each AFG has an additional two allen head screws (without nuts on the other side) that hold the body together.

Correct?

Yes, and the hex heads are inch.

MookNW
12-11-10, 09:58
Can you post a close up pic of the one you got?

Gunfighter 9
12-11-10, 10:22
The SD card on the camera is out of order. I will try later to post some photos of it. Assuming I can find another SD card or some other method of downloading.

Rayd8
12-11-10, 11:20

Correct?

Just looked at mine and this is how it came....along with the Magpul box & paperwork.

obucina
12-11-10, 13:20
i got mine off ebay...it is definitely legit. Does your knockoff have the cage code?

Spiffums
12-11-10, 14:41
After all the horror stories you read I'm surprised people just don't pay a little more for it at BCM or some other reputable site. A few bucks just isn't worth the hassle if you get taken.

jklaughrey
12-11-10, 14:43
Spiffums much like getting a hooker. Do you want one who is reputable from the bunny ranch or one off craigslist!:sarcastic:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-11-10, 15:21
It's the airsoft community that keeps these pricks in business. I was into airsoft untill I bought my second high end AEG that broke in less than two days of ownership. Now these on line dealers buy this airsoft replica parts market them as genuine and by the time you realize you got screwed there isn't much you can do about it. The bad part is that there are people out there not smart enough to realize they are buying junk at nearly the same cost as the genuine products. Live and learn I guess. At least it wasn't my cash, but now I have a worthless gift.

I hear ya. I played airsoft pretty heavily from about 14-18, and then realized everytime I bought a $300-500 gun, it would always end up going back to the mfg in a month or two. I used to buy alot of this knock off stuff as I wasnt into "tactical" firearms (too young, and my trust Marlin 336 was all I needed to kill deer) at the time, so I had no idea why anyone would buy a real Aimpoint when you could have a fake for $300 less. The ignorance of youth.

Skang
12-11-10, 15:30
You know, Magpul does make Air Soft parts too.

Like the Sights.

bruce_hxc
12-11-10, 15:59
A buddy just got burned by the same Amazon seller.

He ordered an AFG-2. He was showing it to me when it first came in and something seemed off to me...

First off, "It's an AFG-1" I told him and then further investigation found the words "FOR TRAINING USE ONLY " and "PTS" where it attaches to the rail.

He was pretty livid.

Dave_M
12-11-10, 18:45
After all the horror stories you read I'm surprised people just don't pay a little more for it at BCM or some other reputable site. A few bucks just isn't worth the hassle if you get taken.

That's the only way I roll anymore.

Last year a guy I know bought a "LaRue" M68 mount off of eBay--it turned out to be of the highest quality Chinese zinc :rolleyes:

Gunfighter 9
12-11-10, 18:46
Yeah I just saw those markings on it as well. Are the PTS replicas licensed by Magpul? I mean its bad enough the guy is marketing them as the real deal when they are not, but if they are not licensed maybe Magpul can go after them.

Facejackets
12-11-10, 19:00
Yeah I just saw those markings on it as well. Are the PTS replicas licensed by Magpul? I mean its bad enough the guy is marketing them as the real deal when they are not, but if they are not licensed maybe Magpul can go after them.

That's the Magpul airsoft line I think.

BlueOvalFan
12-11-10, 21:05
I hade the same thing happen to me on Ebay--bought what I though was a genuine Magpul UBR. Something seemed off and latter figured out it was a fake, glad I bought it with a CC as I was able to file a claim and recover my lost $$.

If you look at the screws I think they should be stamped magpul around the circumference and most definitely should be English in size.

PRGGodfather
12-11-10, 21:59

Yes, the PTS line is licensed Magpul. The price listed is just about what Brownells sells them for with a dealer/LEO account.

There are plenty of scumbags who sell PTS stuff as the real deal, because there are plenty of folks who don't read fine print or know the difference.

And then some clown will ask, "Is the PTS line good enough for real tactical work?"

Simple rules: Buy from reputable distributors and manufacturers, or from trusted folks who do. I'd rather buy a used product from good M4C members than buy from someone untrustworthy. The few dollars you save buying from a lowball artist, are NOT worth the $25 you threw away when you realize you were snookered.

Sometimes, you gotta pay to play. If "good enough" is all you need -- you get what you pay for...

Gunfighter 9
12-11-10, 22:06
Well I didn't order the item. It was a gift. However, this particular scumbag said explicitly on his listing that this was not a PTS version. I don't understand why Magpul would allow the airsofters to license their products. Nothing made for airsoft is made with quality material and most people will not understand the difference between Magpul and PTS. It just seems like a sure way for their reputation to be tarnished. IMO.

Product Description
Picture is a stock picture and shows a black unit. This unit is Magpul Dark Earth (tan) color. Unlike conventional vertical fore-grips, the Magpul AFG (Angled Fore-Grip) takes into account natural body mechanics and provides a comfortable and stable user interface that reduces fatigue and allows for more precise weapon control. By positioning the shooter's hand high on the centerline of the bore, the AFG helps mitigate recoil and control the weapon, facilitating faster, more accurate follow-up shots. This is NOT the Magpul PTS Airsoft version Made in U.S.A. Picture courtesy of Rainier Arms

Dozer
12-11-10, 23:02
All Magpul PTS are identified as such. If it's not marked as such then you have a fake.

PRGGodfather
12-11-10, 23:05
Yes, we don't control what others buy us as gifts, so the general comment I made was not directed at you or any specific individual. It was intended to remember Caveat Emptor.

There are a number of manufacturers who license their products for airsoft replicas. Magpul, EOTech, AAC, ARMS, KAC, Colt, S&W, Walther and SIG-Sauer are just a FEW of them. Some of it is designed so little boys can play with toys that look just like their daddies' toys -- and some are for big boys who cannot have real ones.

In Asia, where real firearms are verboten, the market for high-end metal replicas is MUCH greater than in America, where the huge airsoft market is for the cheap airsoft stuff you get at Big 5 or WalMart. The licensing and distributor agreements for such business would make your head spin. Marui and Classic Army replicas are almost as expensive as the real thing: Something I don't understand personally, but can respect as a business.

If Magpul didn't license it, some Chinese turd would clone it anyway, and some lame-o American would buy it in an effort to save a buck and then complain about the quality.

Until we resolve our own schizophrenia as to consumerism, capitalism and nationalism -- Magpul's decision to license airsoft copies; so someone else wouldn't make the money off their name -- was a very business savvy decision. It is business, after all.

For every soldier of fortune, there are 50 soldiers of fiction who will spend 10x the money for something they will stick in the safe, hang on the wall -- or otherwise never bother shooting. Most people do NOT shoot cases of ammo a year -- and I, for one, am totally good with that. This is America, after all.

For me at least, at the end of the day, someone who shoots a box of ammo a year, or plays with 6mm pellets -- STILL has more in common with me than those folks who soil their drawers at merely hearing the word, "gun." Snobbery and elitism within our own ranks works against all of us.

Little boys who play with airsoft often grow up to be big boys who play with things that go, "BANG!" We need to perpetuate our American firearm heritage, as we are losing ground to the cosmopolitan metrosexuals who insist that eating Tofurkey is our obligation as part of the New World Order.

Yet, I digress. Simply, there is always room for pro-gun folks at my house, regardless of flavor. Buy from trustworthy folks.

All the BattleComps are real. There are no airsoft versions. Yet.

Merry Christmas!

ucrt
12-11-10, 23:27

All the BattleComps are real. There are no airsoft versions. Yet. ......

==========================

That's cool, thanks.

Good luck on your "savvy business decisions".

Merry Christmas!

ursus.peracto
12-12-10, 09:03
Yes, we don't control what others buy us as gifts, so the general comment I made was not directed at you or any specific individual. It was intended to remember Caveat Emptor.

There are a number of manufacturers who license their products for airsoft replicas. Magpul, EOTech, AAC, ARMS, KAC, Colt, S&W, Walther and SIG-Sauer are just a FEW of them. Some of it is designed so little boys can play with toys that look just like their daddies' toys -- and some are for big boys who cannot have real ones.

In Asia, where real firearms are verboten, the market for high-end metal replicas is MUCH greater than in America, where the huge airsoft market is for the cheap airsoft stuff you get at Big 5 or WalMart. The licensing and distributor agreements for such business would make your head spin. Marui and Classic Army replicas are almost as expensive as the real thing: Something I don't understand personally, but can respect as a business.

If Magpul didn't license it, some Chinese turd would clone it anyway, and some lame-o American would buy it in an effort to save a buck and then complain about the quality.

Until we resolve our own schizophrenia as to consumerism, capitalism and nationalism -- Magpul's decision to license airsoft copies; so someone else wouldn't make the money off their name -- was a very business savvy decision. It is business, after all.

For every soldier of fortune, there are 50 soldiers of fiction who will spend 10x the money for something they will stick in the safe, hang on the wall -- or otherwise never bother shooting. Most people do NOT shoot cases of ammo a year -- and I, for one, am totally good with that. This is America, after all.

For me at least, at the end of the day, someone who shoots a box of ammo a year, or plays with 6mm pellets -- STILL has more in common with me than those folks who soil their drawers at merely hearing the word, "gun." Snobbery and elitism within our own ranks works against all of us.

Little boys who play with airsoft often grow up to be big boys who play with things that go, "BANG!" We need to perpetuate our American firearm heritage, as we are losing ground to the cosmopolitan metrosexuals who insist that eating Tofurkey is our obligation as part of the New World Order.

Yet, I digress. Simply, there is always room for pro-gun folks at my house, regardless of flavor. Buy from trustworthy folks.

All the BattleComps are real. There are no airsoft versions. Yet.

Merry Christmas!

You can't say it better than that!!

Spiffums
12-12-10, 11:48
Spiffums much like getting a hooker. Do you want one who is reputable from the bunny ranch or one off craigslist!:sarcastic:

Well the ones from the Bunny Ranch don't have nasty little surprises...... like a pimp with a blinged out 50 cal or an STD. :sarcastic:

Spiffums
12-12-10, 11:52
All the BattleComps are real.
Merry Christmas!

Yeah REAL GOOD!!!!!!!!!

WWhunter
12-12-10, 12:38
PRGGodfather,
Not meaning to get off topic here but your comment of firearms being verboten in Asia is not quite true overall. For instance....the Japanese can own guns albiet it is much more difficult than here. I purchased and shipped home close to 30 guns while I was stationed there. Granted 90% were shotguns. No offense meant to your post. I just want people to know that lots of places we as Americans "think" the general populous can't own firearms, they in fact can, even though it is much harder for them to do so then it is here in the US.
You can blame this mispreception on our glourious media of course.
WW

variablebinary
12-12-10, 12:46
The easiest way to tell is by looking at your receipt.

Shitty vendors = shit kit

mjkeat
12-12-10, 15:27
PRGGodfather, that was awesome

I was once dooped into purchasing a MBUS set marked PTS. I was told that they are the exact same thing but marked PTS for import/export reasons. Do they not come off the same assembly line? From a business standpoint wouldnt it make more since to do it that way rather then having two different sets of tooling for the same item? Lastly what these companies are doing regardless if they come off the same assembly line or not is wrong and should, if its not, be illegal.

PRGGodfather
12-12-10, 17:13
Thanks, guys.

You are correct -- when I said, "Asia," I didn't mean ALL of Asia. It would have been more precise to say, in several "PARTS of Asia." As to Asia being the largest market for high-end airsoft replicas; that, I am told is correct.

Airsoft is a big market, to include folks who were easily bored with bullseye shooting, but had fun with paintball and wanted more realism. Similar to a modern version of civil war reenactment. Not my cup of tea, perhaps, but I don't get to tell anyone what to do or how to spend their money. Unsolicited advice and dumb looks are always free! ;)

It is my understanding that Magpul PTS parts do NOT come off the same machines -- as Magpul's stateside operation is full-time making Magpul parts for real guns. The PTS products are licensed clones, where quality control is left to the licensee.

One of my friends is a dedicated airsofter. About six months ago, I saw him running Magpul PTS MBUS2 sights on his real AR. I HAD to ask.

He replied, "Those are the new Magpul sights!" I told him, "Those have PTS on them. They're airsoft copies. The real deal hasn't been released yet."

He asked, "They will still work, won't they?"

Sometimes, folks don't know what they don't know. -- and most of them come by it honestly. We can make fun of them, but that doesn't make us better. We can also teach them -- and that is the gift that keeps on giving.

I hooked him up with one our local AR trainers (and one of my former students) to get him started.

Merry Christmas!

Karcas
12-12-10, 17:38

That last part had me rolling.... accurate and hilarious!

That post alone makes me wanna buy something from you lol.

Korgs130
12-14-10, 07:29
Well said!

Avenger29
12-14-10, 11:28
PRGGodfather, that was awesome

I was once dooped into purchasing a MBUS set marked PTS. I was told that they are the exact same thing but marked PTS for import/export reasons. Do they not come off the same assembly line? From a business standpoint wouldnt it make more since to do it that way rather then having two different sets of tooling for the same item? Lastly what these companies are doing regardless if they come off the same assembly line or not is wrong and should, if its not, be illegal.

No, they don't "come off the same assembly line". Magpul products are made in the US. I'm pretty sure Magpul PTS stuff is made overseas...it's an effort to curb fakery and give the airsofters the stuff they want at a cheap price.

Ripping off these designs is illegal, but prosecution is often very difficult.

Militant83
12-14-10, 11:39
Suck if you did get a knockoff.. Here is another example of the infamous chicom knockoffs..even though they dont claim to be KAC they advertise as a KAC type. And again designed for the airsoft community,Damn airsoft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-KAC-Type-Trigger-Guard-Airsoft-WA-GBB-WP94-/390222316275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adb1002f3

justin_247
12-14-10, 13:05
Simple rules: Buy from reputable distributors and manufacturers, or from trusted folks who do. I'd rather buy a used product from good M4C members than buy from someone untrustworthy. The few dollars you save buying from a lowball artist, are NOT worth the $25 you threw away when you realize you were snookered.

Sometimes, you gotta pay to play. If "good enough" is all you need -- you get what you pay for...

+1

There is no reason to purchase AR parts from Amazon when you have reputable dealers like Rainier Arms, G&R Tactical, and BCM who go above and beyond to guarantee quality.

mjkeat
12-14-10, 14:09
No, they don't "come off the same assembly line". Magpul products are made in the US. I'm pretty sure Magpul PTS stuff is made overseas...it's an effort to curb fakery and give the airsofters the stuff they want at a cheap price.

Ripping off these designs is illegal, but prosecution is often very difficult.

Glad thats all cleared up. Sucks because I paid real prices. Live and learn.

Avenger29
12-14-10, 14:13
Glad thats all cleared up. Sucks because I paid real prices. Live and learn.

Hey, at least it's a cheap lesson compared to say, paying Aimpoint prices for a $60 ripoff. Which has happened on many an occasion.

Back during the Panic, a not-so-savvy friend of mine got ripped badly. He payed $2300 for a CMMG rifle with a UTG rail, UTG irons, and a fake EoTech...

ForTehNguyen
12-14-10, 14:42
good lesson to be learned but, they are probably gonna be the same, its just a plastic grip.

Gunfighter 9
12-16-10, 06:25
+1

There is no reason to purchase AR parts from Amazon when you have reputable dealers like Rainier Arms, G&R Tactical, and BCM who go above and beyond to guarantee quality.

I would agree with you. However, there is no excuse for a dealer who violates the law and general business ethics. Not everyone who enters into the world of tactical products knows who the reputable dealers are. My brother is unfortunately among those. He knows enough to look for quality brands, but wasn't aware that this kind of crap happens. Blaming the customer who was cheated by a dealer for not going to a "trusted" dealer is akin to blaming a rape victim for dressing provocatively IMO. You shouldn't have to be mentored into some secrect society and given a decoder ring to be able to purchase merchandise without being screwed and cheated.