PDA

View Full Version : AK optic choice

glockkid88
12-11-10, 11:45
I am having a hard time choosing an optic to go on my ak ultimak mount.
Option 1: Snatch the aimpoint ml3 off of my m4 and mount it in a Springfield Armory low ring and buy an aimpoint M4s for the m4.
Option 2: Buy an aimpoint H1 to mount on the ultimak.
Any insight or suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks.

grimm
12-11-10, 11:50
I am having a hard time choosing an optic to go on my ak ultimak mount.
Option 1: Snatch the aimpoint ml3 off of my m4 and mount it in a Springfield Armory low ring and buy an aimpoint M4s for the m4.
Option 2: Buy an aimpoint H1 to mount on the ultimak.
Any insight or suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks.

I believe option 2 setup is golden based on the experiences of other members.

doodi1
12-11-10, 13:50
Aimpoint H1/T1 are the best combo on the Ultimak rail.

snappy
12-11-10, 14:32
Bet both would be great. H1 may be lighter out front.

96 SS
12-11-10, 14:43
If you are dead set on the Ultimak get the micro.

GNXII
12-11-10, 21:49
Aimpoint T1/H1 on the Ultimak mount. Forget EOtech...mine just fried and died cuz of the heat.

Canonshooter
12-11-10, 22:18
If I had to spend the $$, H1/T1 is the way to go. But FWIW, I was going to buy a H1 but already had the CompC3 so I decided to mount it and give it a try. At this point I think it's on to stay.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-18.jpg

Hizzie
12-12-10, 15:43
Which ever optic you use they are out there near the very end of your rifle so weight makes a huge difference.

Aries144
12-13-10, 11:44
I think you'll find the T1/H1 + Ultimak combo is going to be the lightest, handiest solution.

The real upside of the ultimak that I think most people don't see initally is that it adds very little weight to the rifle. It completely replaces the gastube and upper handguard and barely weighs more that that original part.

Any traditional sidemount is going to add between 1/2 to 1lb to the weight of the rifle, plus whatever the optic weighs.

The disadvantage of the ultimak, as mentioned, is that it puts the weight of the added optic well forward of the center of balance of the weapon. Therefore, a small very light optic like the Aimpoint H1/T1 is ideal; the weight and change in balance is almost unnoticeable.

I compared my own SLR-106FR with sidemounted Aimpoint CompM2 to a Bulgarian AK-74m clone with ultimak mounted H1 and found the difference in weight to be considerable.

My SLR-106FR weighs in at 9.7 lbs loaded (weighs about 8.4 loaded, without optic/sidemount).

While I wasn't able to weigh it, the AK-74m clone with ultimak-mounted H1 felt significantly lighter than my own rifle with optic. When I removed my optic and compared the two rifles, the feel was nearly identical.

To me, the ultimak is the superior solution, if you can afford a T1/H1.

I'm tempted to try one with my CompM2 just to see if the overall lighter weight would make up for the more front-heavy point of balance.

Canonshooter
12-13-10, 18:31
The Ulitmak weighs less than one ounce more than the gas tube/upper hand guard it replaces.

An H1/T1 weighs about 4 ounces, the CompC3 about 8.

Ilove2shoot
12-13-10, 19:00
I put a OKO in a metal cover on mine.......but I would like to have a H1 to put on it if the OKO ever craps out.

calvin118
12-13-10, 19:55
I have tried numerous setups, and I have reluctantly conceded that the Ultimak/H1 is the way to go.

The Ultimak not only allows you to mount your optic, but also allows you to mount a light out in front of your handguard. All of the other setups that allow you to mount a light on an AK (that I am aware of) are either prohibitively heavy or don't allow enough room on the rail for both your hand and the light.

If I'm going to use the ultimak for my light mount anyway, what's the point in adding an additional interface for an optic?

grimm
12-13-10, 20:00
If I had to spend the $$, H1/T1 is the way to go. But FWIW, I was going to buy a H1 but already had the CompC3 so I decided to mount it and give it a try. At this point I think it's on to stay.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-18.jpg

Canon, how's that c3 holding up? What mount is that?

crazymoose
12-14-10, 03:42
Not the cheapest option, but I'm a huge fan of the Krebs rail/rear sight setup. Extends the sight radius to the back of the receiver (and uses an aperture rear) and locks up very securely. Never lost a zero on mine.

I have one on a semi RPK 74. The sight radius is ridiculous. Haven't measured, but it feels like sighting down a Brown Bess. Pretty damned accurate with irons for an AK.

m4brian
12-14-10, 06:18
What is the lower handguard above?

Does a tech sight work? (Krebs is quite expensive). Thanks.

kartoffel
12-14-10, 08:21
AK Tech Sights actually do work pretty well. It makes taking your dust cover off and on a longer process, so I wouldn't recommend it on a fighting AK.

Rear Tech Sights are solid. May take some fitting initially, but it won't lose zero on you like a dustcover mounted rear peep. Note that the people who did go with dustcover mounted rear sights (e.g. Valmet) took special measures to ensure repeatable location of the dust cover.

96 SS
12-14-10, 09:11
If I'm going to use the ultimak for my light mount anyway, what's the point in adding an additional interface for an optic?

Some optics simply don't work well for mounting up front:
http://www.mazdas247.com/members/Horse/RS%20ACOG%20Poster%20Small/RS%20AKOG%20postable.jpg

I use my ultimak to mount my light (Milkyspit 300 lumen Red-Orange) but use my side rail for my ACOG.

Having weight out front is not a good thing for most people. The closer to the center of your hands the better. Side rails used to not be such good solutions. ;)

TOrrock
12-14-10, 12:24
What is the lower handguard above?

Does a tech sight work? (Krebs is quite expensive). Thanks.

Tech Sights won't let you get the dustcover off in a hurry if you've got a loose case stuck up inside, which I have absolutely seen first hand on some AK's.

As stated above, it's a non starter for me on a "working" AK.

That handguard is a Tapco, that the user has removed the heat shield.

Better have a good set of gloves...

m4brian
12-14-10, 15:26
Again - thanks ALL!

Also: 1. Does TAPCO normally come with a heat shield? My present lower HG (KVAR?) does have one.

2. What is the LAST one pictured? (Lower HG)

96 SS
12-14-10, 15:40
CAA (Command Arms Acc.)
made in Israel - so make sure your 922 parts allow that.

CAA ones do not come heat shields, but I have only had mine get hot instead of blistering while doing "rapid" shotting. AFG helps with heat as it allows a certain standoff.

BullittBoy
12-15-10, 14:54
I have a Ultimak and a Primary Arms 3 MOA Micro "clone" on both my Arsenal AK74's and they absolutely so-witness and cost $80 each. I have real H1's on my AUG and FS2K and for the money this sight is a good range "plinker" shooter grade scope for comparison. Neither have lost zero and I shot 20 round groups of Wolf into a 2" square at 50 yards with both guns zeroing, prior using only open sights that would have been probably a 3" or larger group. The Ultimak to me also adds a bit of "rigidity" to the AK platform and can help in accuracy. At least it did for me.
Both guns will shoot 20 rounds into about 3-3.5" at 100. I usually shoot a whole box when I am shooting just to see what it will do. 5-10 round groups could be better.