PDA

View Full Version : Questions for LEOs

sapper36
12-11-10, 15:48
I am seeking some advice from our LE people. I ony have a couple years left in ther Marines until I retire. I am about to wrap up my general education classes and need to decide what I am going to finish my BA in. I would like to work in some form of LE, I know my age may be somewhat of a problem, but which of these would be the most benificial? I have the choice of Homeland Security or Criminal Justice. I am trying to set myself up as much as I can so thanks for the input. If location matters I am currently in Virginia, with plans that may mean a move to Michigan, not sure if that matters, TIA.

Surf
12-11-10, 16:52
Are those your only 2 choices?

Stickman
12-11-10, 17:05
I am seeking some advice from our LE people. I ony have a couple years left in ther Marines until I retire. I am about to wrap up my general education classes and need to decide what I am going to finish my BA in. I would like to work in some form of LE, I know my age may be somewhat of a problem, but which of these would be the most benificial? I have the choice of Homeland Security or Criminal Justice. I am trying to set myself up as much as I can so thanks for the input. If location matters I am currently in Virginia, with plans that may mean a move to Michigan, not sure if that matters, TIA.

Computers, a foreign language, accounting, and a few other things might be worth looking into.

Business_Casual
12-11-10, 17:08
Hey, free Internet advice - get into cyber security from some perspective. People with a clearance and cyber security credentials could write their own ticket in NoVA.

https://www.umuc.edu/marketing/market828.shtml

B_C

kmrtnsn
12-11-10, 17:13
The cut-off age for most federal LE is 37. A degree in homeland security is a waste of time and money unless you want to be a TSA screener. I would not recommend a CJ degree unless you are in the field already or are assured that you'll get an LE job. Get a degree in some type of administration or management or something that particularly interests you.

usmcvet
12-11-10, 17:14
I think you age is a plus. Young cols jump around a lot moving from dept to dept.

Any quality degree will help you out. If I did it over I would not have chosen CJ but English or another degree I could do something else with. The fact that you have a degree is what will be important.

Suwannee Tim
12-11-10, 18:57
In my county the Sheriff hires folks at what would have once have been considered an advanced age for rookie cops. I am not sure why, age discrimination laws or supply and demand. I know they have a hard time getting qualified applicants. Every cop car has a recruiting bumper sticker on it. Lots of cops over 50 with "5 Years Service" pins in this department.

sapper36
12-11-10, 19:53
Free internet advice-thats pretty funny. Thanks for the input, I still have some time to figure this out so anymore advice will be great.

Chameleox
12-11-10, 20:03
Computers, a foreign language, accounting, and a few other things might be worth looking into.

My degree is in Classical Civilization/ Asian Studies. Its not what your degree is, but what you learn, and how you can apply it.
Stick's right. Pick up some computer skills, especially some that come with certificates or some sort of paper recognition. Get some internship time with an agency (local, state or .fed). Above all, consider a foreign language! That's a real bonus for L.E. agencies these days. Not all will offer you extra pay for your skills, but it certainly helps get your foot in the door.

Macx
12-11-10, 21:00
The cut-off age for most federal LE is 37. A degree in homeland security is a waste of time and money unless you want to be a TSA screener. I would not recommend a CJ degree unless you are in the field already or are assured that you'll get an LE job. Get a degree in some type of administration or management or something that particularly interests you.

Sound advice. I am a guy with a CJ degree I got at 32 . . . admittedly I just added two years to an existing two as a jump off for masters work. I would have been/ would be happy to work in Law Enforcement, but the CJ degree only managed to get my toe in the door for social work jobs where I could sell my CJ knowledge as a team asset. Most of my work is with homeless/ dual diagnosis MI/CD folks. It has been a great career path for me, but it is a really limited niche and it isn't Law Enforcement. Looking back on it & comparing to my wife who went straight through college for a BA in Sociology, at entry level I have/had a disadvantage but now can get at the top dollar of the piss poor pay social workers make. Of course you wouldn't be asking about Law Enforcement jobs, if you were in it for the money. . . rather than because . . . you are a hero (zero sarcasm, zero) You've served your country among the most stand up of stand up guys & now, you are looking for ways to keep serving your country. Honor. Do what makes you happy, it is the only way forward. I, on my best days, stop crime from happening before it takes place & the proactive nature of that task pushes my happy button. I am not there to clean up messes or take reports, I am with the most frequent offenders and victims with the sole intent to prevent, to offer better ways forward for the people society forgets. As missions go, I like it. The question is, where is the mission that will push your happy button?

Going from military to a CJ degree is not the best route into Law Enforcement anymore, hasn't been for ten or more years (unless you were an MP). I am not saying you can't get there from here, but that you'd be better served with neither of the degrees you mentioned for most of the reasons kmrtnsn cited . . . unless you want to follow my path. If you follow my path though, you will never wear a badge, never wear a uniform, and shaving will hurt you more than it will help you ;)

kmrtnsn
12-11-10, 21:08
If I could do it all over again I'd be an English major. My wife was and her reports are art compared to mine.

Macx
12-11-10, 21:27
Edit II - Yeah, that was something a Sheriff Dept LT impressed on me early on. . . before I went from 2 to 4 years. Report writing is to Law Enforcement what everybody who doesn't do it . . . thinks a sidearm is.

ST911
12-12-10, 20:57
Same advice I give to everyone considering a career in LE or that's new to it:

Make decisions with life after LE in mind. Your degree, your career path, your assignment choices, and all the other things that you do along the way. You may find the job isn't what you thought it would be. You may be a screw up and get fired. You may get hurt and be unable to serve. You may be one of the few that starts the job that actually finishes with a retirement. However your exit comes, ask yourself now, "what then?"

Most agencies don't care what your degree is in. They just want you to have one. Therefore, get a degree for YOU, not the job.

I'm not a fan of CJ degrees. If you do major in CJ, do a double with something else more useful.

Cops are gun-toting secretaries and professional communicators. Degrees in english, journalism, mass communications, and education are likely to serve you much better than CJ, and offer post-LE options. Degrees in business, languages, and the sciences will keep other doors open to you as well.

kmrtnsn
12-12-10, 21:02

Make decisions with life after LE in mind. Your degree, your career path, your assignment choices, and all the other things that you do along the way. You may find the job isn't what you thought it would be. You may be a screw up and get fired. You may get hurt and be unable to serve. You may be one of the few that starts the job that actually finishes with a retirement. However your exit comes, ask yourself now, "what then?"

Most agencies don't care what your degree is in. They just want you to have one. Therefore, get a degree for YOU, not the job.

I'm not a fan of CJ degrees. If you do major in CJ, do a double with something else more useful.

Cops are gun-toting secretaries and professional communicators. Degrees in english, journalism, mass communications, and education are likely to serve you much better than CJ, and offer post-LE options. Degrees in business, languages, and the sciences will keep other doors open to you as well.

Great advice here.

usmcvet
12-12-10, 21:03
Very well said.

If I knew how easy a second major was I would have gone that route. I will make sure my kids plan for two. If you plan well and use you free electives right a second major is easy to accomplish and no more money.

kmrtnsn
12-12-10, 21:07
Very well said.

If I knew how easy a second major was I would have gone that route. I will make sure my kids plan for two. If you plan well and use you free electives right a second major is easy to accomplish and no more money.

If it would have been an option I'd have done a Major in English or writing and a minor in Constitutional Studies or some such thing. The last two years of criminal trials has shown me the weaknesses and holes in the training I received.

My CJ degree isn't going to help me in eight years when I retire and have to start looking for my second career.

usmcvet
12-12-10, 21:16
I would not short change your CJ degree. Just like PD's don't necessarily care what your degree is lots of other employers wont care either?

markdh720
12-13-10, 18:47

Bam, there it is. Foreign languages, accounting and law are all recommended. These are studies that are desired by PDs, but can be useful in a the private sector as well. That's the way to go. If I remember correctly, they are even required by a federal agency or two. There are others as well. I'm going back to school on my dept's dime studying business administration/management. There have been a few guys within the dept that got BIG promotions involving their specialties. One guy developed our intranet, and another is head of an analysis unit due to his business statistics education and experience. You already have military experience, which is often a hiring incentive.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

sapper36
12-13-10, 19:09
Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyones input. Something that I didnt think of is the second language. I grew up 3 miles north of Mexico and at one time had Spanish under control but the last 19 years, mainly on the east coast it has gone away. Not for long, any other golden nuggets will be well recicved.

The_Biased_Observer
12-13-10, 19:12
Degrees won't get you much at my place, maybe 5% more pay after 5 years. A Homeland Security degree will look good for a TFO spot with a Fusion center if you want to sit on your butt all day forwarding emails. I suppose it would also look good for a TFO slot on a task force that actually leaves the office too, at least moreso than the average CJ degree.

Your degree really won't prepare you for the job if that is what you are asking, that happens on FTO and your first 20 years on the job.

C-grunt
12-13-10, 20:01
Not all depts require degrees. Mine doesnt (Phoenix PD) unless you want to be promoted.

I also wouldnt get one in CJ. Its very easy to get fired in this line of work if the eyes of politics happen to fall on you. Many people also find its not for them. For most cops its not the dangerous stuff that bothers them. Its the child drowning or interviewing a 13 year old girl that was raped by her father.

Id much rather go to a bank robbery than a drowning.

Alaskapopo
12-14-10, 02:50
Getting a college degree shows a certain amount of commitment and life experience. Having a college education can help you understand the big picture more. It helps you to understand why policies are they way they are and that being a cop is more than just arresting bad guys.

A college degree will open more doors for you as you advance in your career. Its worth doing. Generally the only people who tell you that you should not get an education are those without one.

As for majors. I majored in Criminal Justice with a Political Science Minor. Having a justice major may not help you as much in the private sector later on that is true. However it will open up other opportunities in the law enforcement and related fields. Jobs such as probation officers, state investigators for medicare fraud, workmans comp, children services etc. I know my justice degree helped me in the academy as the procedural law and criminal law portions were cake because it was just review for me. My degree has made it possible for me to make more than my peers without one and it has helped me promote faster. If I were to do it again the only thing I would change is my minor would be in English.
Pat

jklaughrey
12-14-10, 06:47
I have my CJ with a minor in Psych. All it did for me is "say I am a good boy and got some really expensive paper". While I admit some aspects have helped, especially in my "moonlighting" position with ATK. They like degrees even if not relevant, but that is corporate America. With the SO, they really don't care, have kids out of HS working jail, then moving right into patrol after a few years and some aren't exactly what I deem intelligent. If I were you I would go with business or even something in a humanities field like education. At least that way you can get a state cert. to teach if you can't do LE or even after retirement. Plus who knows you could use it to be a POST instructor down the road.