PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Plant to close it's doors in ME

marh415
12-11-10, 16:41
Seen this posted on another forum, I know there is not alot of Bushy fans here but anyway.
http://www.wlbz2.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=140185&catid=3

ucrt
12-11-10, 16:52

How many plants do they have?

Heck, I hate to see a company close its doors.

sonrider657
12-11-10, 16:55
It's never good to see a U.S. manufacturing plant close its doors. The manufacturing base in America is eroding quickly to the peril of our nation.

marh415
12-11-10, 17:07

How many plants do they have?

Heck, I hate to see a company close its doors.

Not sure, it is a shame to see more people losing jobs. I think my AR is one of the few things I have that is built and manufactured in the U.S.

RogerinTPA
12-11-10, 17:12
Not sure, it is a shame to see more people losing jobs. I think my AR is one of the few things I have that is built and manufactured in the U.S.

Agreed... even if they do produce out of spec shit weapons.

kal
12-11-10, 17:42
I'll bet they'll re-open somewhere else.

by the way, is that the only bushmaster manufacturing facility or are there more?

markm
12-11-10, 17:46
I wish OLYMPIC ARMS and LWRC would shut their doors for good. :rolleyes:

chadbag
12-11-10, 18:19
I'll bet they'll re-open somewhere else.

by the way, is that the only bushmaster manufacturing facility or are there more?

They have other facilities. Here is more info.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/12/11/bushmaster-factory-closed/

coyote hunter
12-11-10, 19:19
I blame all of you for bashing them over the years! :sarcastic:

It is sad to see them close, but it is an opportunity for one of you to buy up the plant cheap, and produce quality firearms!

If I had the means and know how I sure would.

Magic_Salad0892
12-12-10, 11:05
I wish OLYMPIC ARMS and LWRC would shut their doors for good. :rolleyes:

Oly, and DPMS.

LWRCi at least produces the one piston AR that works. (LMT also.)

Heavy Metal
12-12-10, 11:16
I read an article the other day that Maine is considered one of the very worst states to do business in. It was in the top five.

BSmith
12-12-10, 11:50
It makes sense. There is no reason for them, Remington, and whoever else to be in different plants when they are building a lot of the same stuff.

variablebinary
12-12-10, 11:53
I read an article the other day that Maine is considered one of the very worst states to do business in. It was in the top five.

All of the North East is like that

m1a_scoutguy
12-12-10, 12:17
It makes sense. There is no reason for them, Remington, and whoever else to be in different plants when they are building a lot of the same stuff.

Sad to see for sure & sad that 73+ people are losing there jobs,,especially up that far North,,,there just isn't that much going on up there I'm sure !! On the plus side,,maybe the Jobs will come to NY :)Which would be good for NY and the area where the plant is in Illion NY !! (About a Hour from me) I agree also,,that alot of stuff is being made down in Illion,,a couple guys that come to Carbine Shoots that I attend work there,,and they are pretty busy down there,,just with AR stuff !!! So maybe one bad thing can turn into a good thing for someone else,,,,,time will tell I guess !!!

DonJose
12-12-10, 13:12
Another sad day for those workers and there families.

Jason

ucrt
12-12-10, 13:52

I reckon Cerberus will have all of their BM, DPMS, and Remington production under one roof when it is all said and done and and have it all made by DPMS.

Marlin & NEF will probably be safe for a while.

Cerberus doesn't have a track record for any respect for brand loyalty, being American-made, quality, etc. They are all about how much money can they make and how quick can they make it.

NewbieDave
12-12-10, 14:41
Not sure about their stuff in the last couple years... but I got a 12 year old Bushy that's been running like a champ, no issues, mates to all 6 uppers that I've thrown on it.

It may look like crap since it's been spray-painted and stripped several times... but the metal is holding up with no wear/tear. Not even sure about round counts.

Sorry to heard they are closing.

~dpc

chadbag
12-12-10, 14:48
Sorry to heard they are closing.

Bushmaster is only closing their Maine facility, not their other facilities or the brand.

DonJose
12-12-10, 14:54
With the economy and the times at hand soon other AR shops will follow.

Jason

MountainRaven
12-12-10, 14:58

I reckon Cerberus will have all of their BM, DPMS, and Remington production under one roof when it is all said and done and and have it all made by DPMS.

Cerberus doesn't have a track record for any respect for brand loyalty, being American-made, quality, etc. They are all about how much money can they make and how quick can they make it.

That doesn't bode well for AAC or Barnes, now does it?

usmcvet
12-12-10, 15:04
Yeah it still sucks. Good jobs are tough to come by. I think they've been there for thirty years. My buddy is going to be bummed out they send him a lobster for every gun he buys.

ucrt
12-12-10, 15:47
That doesn't bode well for AAC or Barnes, now does it?

=============================

You never know with those "holding companies". I don't think people realize how big Cerberus is. When it is over with, everything will probably be made in Mexico or China.

m1a_scoutguy
12-12-10, 15:55
=============================

You never know with those "holding companies". I don't think people realize how big Cerberus is. When it is over with, everything will probably be made in Mexico or China.

Yea that is True & ya also wonder deep down inside if they "really" are "gun people" or just $$$$$ people and what there real intention is !! :confused: Hopefully just tightening there belt to pop up someplace else even bigger & better & give twice as many people jobs than what lost them !!! :)

recon
12-12-10, 16:57
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/12/10/bushmaster-firearms-maine-factory-to-close/

drrufo
12-12-10, 17:00
They will blame the unions and the government control, but they will keep the same amount of managers who report to supervisors who report to directors who report to the CEOs who doesn't report to anyone but makes several million a year to keep production at the same level and cut costs.
That is not a bad thing if it is done right, Circuit City fired all their people who made more that a certain wage and hired people who would work for minimum wage. I know in my heart the genius that thought this up got a bonus and a promotion. What happened is the company went out of business in less than two years because the people they hired didn't know the product and didn't feel the need to hustle for sales because they were paid whether or not they sold anything.
BM will open up somewhere else without their unions and when the workforce gets tired of being used like slaves and try to unionize the company will find an excuse to move to another state who will give them tax breaks for relocating.
I assume it takes certain level of skill to machine and build any modern rifle ( not counting the AK47) so there are some places where they won't move.
I hope they keep building rifles because we need all the gun makers we can have just to screw with the antigunners.

96 SS
12-12-10, 19:37
the antigunners.
You realize that these people are the same people as the union people don't you?

FAIL.

MountainRaven
12-12-10, 22:06
I doubt that unionized labor for a firearms factory would be anti-gun. Certainly not if they have any sense about them.

Toonces
12-12-10, 22:27
I would expect that there will only be one location making ARs for the Freedom Group when the consolidation is done. Consolidation may take years. Similar to how GM finally saw the light and stopped making umpteen different brands, of which there were 3-4 brands that had the same product rebadged and sold as a different brand.

I assume it takes certain level of skill to machine and build any modern rifle ( not counting the AK47) ...

That is a wildly ignorant statement.

rdbse
12-12-10, 22:27
You realize that these people are the same people as the union people don't you?

FAIL.

You really think union steel workers and construction/manufacturing blue collar guys are anti-gun?

pantshacker
12-12-10, 23:40

Marlin's North Haven, CT plant is supposed to close by June 2011.

Unless you meant something else.

96 SS
12-13-10, 07:42
You really think union steel workers and construction/manufacturing blue collar guys are anti-gun?

No- not the typical member - but most if not all the union leaders.
It's scary how they are all connected/managed.

120mm
12-13-10, 07:43

Yes. Since their union dues go to anti-gun causes and politicians, I do believe they are anti-gun.

I don't give a shit what they SAY they believe in, it's what they DO.

yellowfin
12-13-10, 07:56
Yes. Since their union dues go to anti-gun causes and politicians, I do believe they are anti-gun.

I don't give a shit what they SAY they believe in, it's what they DO.
Agreed, this is a VERY BAD problem. What makes this even more of a problem is that a few states allow unions to require membership if employed by a company their workers are in, so people in many situations have the non-choice of union membership or unemployment. In NY the unions have such political chokehold they're able to make laws that effectively kill off non-unionized businesses.

Mac5.56
12-13-10, 10:45

When we visited there I was shocked to see how little industry, and development there was. It did not seem like a business friendly state at all.

Mac5.56
12-13-10, 10:48

Is there a link to info on all of the brands this parent company owns?

Buck
12-13-10, 11:05

Search "Cerberus Capital Management" for the list of pies the three headed dog has its paws in...

B

ucrt
12-13-10, 11:39

===================================

Man! I just saw how Cerberus is jacking with Marlin, so much for them being safe but before long they will all be under one roof or sold off or parted out before Cerberus is finished with them.

For Cerberus' gun companies look for Freedom Group (http://www.freedom-group.com/). Look at the bottom of the main page.

OneInchPunch
12-13-10, 12:12
the bushmaster rep for my store said that the factory was just moving and BM would stay in tact as far as producing rifles and parts. he did mention that remington as a parent company might re brand some guns in order to make money but they would essentially be BM with a Rem logo.

ForTehNguyen
12-13-10, 12:16
production consolidation cat is consolidating production

fdxpilot
12-13-10, 15:12

The politicians they tend to vote for seem to be.

mark5pt56
12-13-10, 16:44
Moving this to General as it seems more fitting after page two===

halo2304
12-15-10, 22:20
To the best of my knowledge:
1) Bushmaster has/had two manufacturing locations, one here in Maine and one in Arizona (the Carbon 15s were made in Arizona.)
2) The Arizona plant has already moved.

It kinda sucks because there doesn't seem to be much for good jobs here in Maine. I don't know what the quality of the rifles were before Cerberus took over but it kinda seems like a similar situation as SIG. New head honchos move in, quality moves out.

The Bushmaster/Remington/DPMS/Cerberus situation sounds like what happened to America's steel production companies. They got bought out by people who wanted to be bankers, not steel makers.

No wonder everything is made in China! :mad::(

chadbag
12-16-10, 11:08
I believe they have or had one in the South (GA?) That is what I remember when doing some research on the ACR production.

Anyway, it is not like they are up and leaving the US. Companies move and/or consolidate manufacturing all the time inside the US.

To the best of my knowledge:
1) Bushmaster has/had two manufacturing locations, one here in Maine and one in Arizona (the Carbon 15s were made in Arizona.)
2) The Arizona plant has already moved.

It kinda sucks because there doesn't seem to be much for good jobs here in Maine. I don't know what the quality of the rifles were before Cerberus took over but it kinda seems like a similar situation as SIG. New head honchos move in, quality moves out.

The Bushmaster/Remington/DPMS/Cerberus situation sounds like what happened to America's steel production companies. They got bought out by people who wanted to be bankers, not steel makers.

No wonder everything is made in China! :mad::(