PDA

View Full Version : First Responders-what do you EDC?

appliance brad
12-11-10, 19:59
This isn't about First Aid or Trauma bags. It's about what, if anything do you carry on your person every day. I'm a POC FF/Medical First Responder in a rural county. I've got First Aid kits in all our vehicles and a pretty complete trauma bag that goes in whatever vehicle I'm driving. None of those are going to be with me at the store, in church or out socializing. Again, that is not what this thread is about.
I carry a pair of nitrile gloves and a barrier mask plus a few Band Aids in a glove pouch on my belt. It's plain and discrete and can go with anything from my jeans to a nice suit. I also have at least 2 lights, a Photon LED on my neck knife chain and another light (Surefire, Fenix or even a mini mag) clipped to a pocket or in a light holder.
I'm curious what the rest of you might have with you on a day to day basis. There is a ton more stuff that might come in handy but most of us are not going to lug around a bigger pouch when we are off duty. So what do you all EDC?

NinjaMedic
12-11-10, 22:06
I will leave out the weapons as im sure that you are more interested in the medical gear.

I carry nothing on my person except for the occasional pair of nitrile gloves.

lexmedic157
12-11-10, 23:08
nothing on my person other than a pair of nitrile gloves. and aside from my trauma bag, my EDC bag has bandaids, etc in it. simple stuff.

appliance brad
12-12-10, 10:43
@Ninjamedic-yes, this is not a discussion of "what has he got in his pocketses". Weapons are a whole different topic.
It sounds like we are on the same page with a pair of gloves and perhaps a light source. I am always on the look out for something I might be missing that is so simple an idea one goes "why didn't I think of having that?" I like to have a Band Aid or two along. They mostly get used on me :) but they are nice to have to offer to someone who has sprung a minor leak. Anyone else?

vaspence
12-12-10, 14:03
I wore Vertx pants/shorts most of this year for work and play. I found the inner pockets of the cargo pockets ideal to hold a SWAT-T, primed gauze, ADC cpr shield, 3 or 4 bandaids, wipes and a pair of gloves. Sounds like a lot but you don't notice it in the inner pockets and you have the ability to do a lot with a little. I just checked and I have 4 bandaids, 2 alcohol wipes, a PAWS wipe and a face shield in the SWAT-T bag with the TQ. About the size of a deck of cards. The primed and gloves go in the other pocket and are unnoticeable in regards to weight.

Don't carry anything with jeans/dress pants.

Spence

ST911
12-12-10, 20:24
On my person: Knife, light, pair of gloves. Everything else I'm apt to need can be found on the patient, on me, or improvised in the environment until EMS/FD/PD arrives.

In my vehicle/BOB: FAK/BOK, and larger aid bags.

Vic303
12-15-10, 08:51
@Ninjamedic-yes, this is not a discussion of "what has he got in his pocketses". Weapons are a whole different topic.
It sounds like we are on the same page with a pair of gloves and perhaps a light source. I am always on the look out for something I might be missing that is so simple an idea one goes "why didn't I think of having that?" I like to have a Band Aid or two along. They mostly get used on me :) but they are nice to have to offer to someone who has sprung a minor leak. Anyone else?

Disclaimer: I am not any sort of medical personnel but I have a good friend from here, who is former medical. His suggestion was to have a BLUE LED like a SOLED from Countycomm or some place, so you can see blood more easily on an injured person, in the dark.

The Photon/SOLEDs are more than small enough to EDC. And the SOLED ones come with a little clip that will mount on a cap brim for hands free use.

motorwerks
12-15-10, 19:59
Surefire pen, Light, and once in a while gloves, but its rare. My bag sits in my truck between the seats. My wife knows where it is, my kids will when they are old enough, my friends have all seen it etc. They could start that way while I started an assessment or compressions or whatever.

appliance brad
12-15-10, 23:31
The real reason for my posing the question is to show that most people get way too hung up on what to lug around with them. I see posts all the time about hauling BOK's, hemostatics, TQ's, decompression needles and tampons.

If you have gloves, you can likely improvise a pressure dressing or even a TQ. However you most likely won't need to carry much more. Even CPR barrier masks probably are not needed with the current emphasis on compressions and not on breaths. I think we become much to hung up on gear and not so much on skills. If the medics here see fit to go light on equipment, the typical person with a 3 hour first aid class behind them probably needs a lot less in stuff.

Spoon
01-05-11, 20:32
I used to carry quite a bit of stuff in my pockets. Now its pretty much just gloves, emt shears, tape, Oakleys, and a Izula knife.

appliance brad
01-08-11, 21:18
Spoon, how's the Izula working for you? I've thought they would make a great EDC.

brit
02-06-11, 16:11
Dont forget the Vicks for the UTIs, Decub Ulcers, Piss, Shit, and Decomposing matter.

I always have a Vicks inhaler, pen light, knife, and occasionally flattened out coband and nitrile gloves if I was on shift previously.

citizensoldier16
02-08-11, 02:24
As a paid county paramedic, I don't really mettle too much in scenes while off-duty...too much liability, even given the "good samaritan" laws.

However, if I see something that is truly life threatening (provided I'm in my vehicle) this is what I have readily available:

knife
trauma shears
fire extinguisher
CPR shield
trauma dressings

And the most important item:
CELL PHONE

I consider anything other than BASIC first aid to be over the top and not worth the potential legal hassle. There are a lot of truly grateful people in this world who would shake your hand for saving their lives in a time of need...but its the handful of assholes who would sue your *** in a heartbeat over a valiant, yet failed attempt at something more that I worry about. With that in mind, you'll never see a red light on my dashboard, a red line on my bumper, or a star of life decal on my rear window.

My advice to every FR, volunteer EMT and the like:

Don't be gung ho...do what is necessary and call the proper authorities.

fireftrjef
02-08-11, 09:58
As a paramedic myself, I just carry pretty much what others carry in their pockets...Minus gloves, which are in my bag.

I have a "BLS" bag in my truck. My most important tool for me is having my cell phone available. Off duty I keep it basic. My bag is stocked up with the basic stuff such as airway adjuncts, a BVM, and seperate face mask (if needed) for supporting the "A" of the ABC's. Then the rest is various bandaging/guaze/pads dedicated to stopping or controlling major bleeding as in a trauma situation.

My main concern being off-duty, is supporting the airway and breathing, circulation (chest compressions obviously) and addressing major bleeding till help arrives.

Going any more advanced than that on my off time just brings in a whole new set of circumstances and concerns...and in todays world liability.

swsmailman
02-08-11, 22:24
Being a Volunteer Firefighter and EMT, pretty much the only thing I carry everyday is a small streamlight pen flashlight, kershaw knife, and swiss army knife. Pretty much everything else is in my truck which is my first aid kit, rescue hammer, and gear bag of bunker gear and wildland fire gear.

Ledanek
02-15-13, 12:15
I searched the forum and found this to have EDC tagged, so I'll post here:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and getting this ITS EDC Trauma Kit (http://www.itstactical.com/store/its-edc-trauma-kit/).
What sold me is the SWAT-T Tourniquet / Pressure Bandage combo.
I see more serious folks carry a CAT tourniquet, but for EDC, its kinda off for me.

Is there a better kit for EDC? My "spidey-sense" is tingling, hence, I better ask here first.
Thanks.

Again, this is for EDC.

dmaxfireman
02-15-13, 14:36
A pair of gloves and a knife. My smart phone has a flashlight app for checking pupils i there is not enough overhead light to do the hand shadow.

For you guys carrying a breathing barrier. I under no circumstances am going to tell you what to do but would suggest that you check up on new protocols for your locality.

Understanding that studies change on a weekly basis current training for us in CT shows that continuous rapid and effective compressions are far more effective than providing compressions pause manipulate airway then breathing unless you have a second person available and have a viable airway established.

The lungs will hold enough usable 02 for you to do compressions for quite some time until ALS arrives and can drop an et tube. If you are giving rescue breaths and do not manipulate the airway well enough you fill the stomach and get puked on making it significantly more difficult to drop the tube as well as increase the chance of the patient aspirating the vomit.

Shoulderthinggoesup
02-15-13, 20:25
If you use up the reserve capacity of the blood and lungs in CPR, it is pretty much too late anyways.

I don't carry anything on me day to day, but have a pretty decent trauma/med kit in my car. Nothing beyond BLS and some and nice set of meds for personal/family use (epi etc.)

chuckman
02-16-13, 06:40
EDC? Nothing...maybe a pair of gloves every now and then. Have the 'bag' in my range gear and in my van.

T2C
02-16-13, 07:42
CPR Micro-Shield, rubber gloves and a knife.

dmaxfireman
02-16-13, 09:59
If you use up the reserve capacity of the blood and lungs in CPR, it is pretty much too late anyways.

Exactly, downtime before intervention is a huge factor in successfully bringing back a cardiac arrest patient. Even the best CPR is not efficient enough to move blood the way the heart can. You are just buying the brain time by doing CPR.

Medic548
04-02-13, 11:23
EDC
1. Cell phone.
2. Benchmade Mini Griptillian.
3. Stream light ProTac 2L (after a KD class, I have one for duty and 1 for casual EDC).

Sheriff880
04-02-13, 16:38
I carry lots of stuff, and have a designated trauma kit in my plate carrier, but one thing I carry everyday everywhere is my quick clot. It rides in my vest in the pocket in the front were the hard plate goes in at. This is standard at my department.

FireCop
04-09-13, 18:51
You have to consider your resources for intervention. Off duty your good for things like compressions, C-spine and direct pressure. The most benifical thing first responders do is take control in a non-paniced manner; this calms people down and stabilizes the incident.

That being said I carry a small pouch in my back pack (always in my car) that has ab pads, cling wrap, tape, nasal airways, occlusive dressings and chest darts. It's basically a "I'm shot" kit plus some odds and ends. I always have gloves.

Also keep in mind your acting with no medical control off duty. You have stuff and skills but you have no right to practices advanced interventions.

Be ready, be calm, be creative.

fyrediver
04-09-13, 20:03
In my EDC bag I carry an Israeli battle dressing and 2 pairs of gloves. I also have a pair of sunglasses that I'd use for PPE. That's it as far as medical supplies.

In my vehicles I have more comprehensive kits. I've also got a full BLS trauma kit that I take to the range, diving, or any other place that has a higher likelihood of injury.

bossman3
04-15-13, 04:10
Paramedic here...I carry a flashlight on my person. In my car I have a bigger flashlight and trauma sheers.

RWCRaiden
04-19-13, 10:32
Best things for EDC have already been metionioned. A pair of gloves, and a good pocket knife.

M_Rapp
04-19-13, 19:35
Lets change it up. You have 2 small kids and you are watching your wife run a race. Public venue, you are a ways from your vehicle, you can CC if you so choose. What medical supplies would actually be of some help?

Gloves, quick clot, band aids (kids always need these), what else???? Not EDC per se, but a kit that is a little more robust just in case...... ???

RWCRaiden
04-20-13, 15:28
Now I don't really carry a EDC kit, but if I were at a race as metioned above, I'd say a pair of gloves, band aids, and neosporin, and gauze. Maybe a bite stick for a make shift splint. Small enough you could pocket carry it in a bag or whatever.

I'm not a fan of quick clot as I haven't really had any experience with it. I know that they took it out of our local protocols a few years back because of the required surgical intervention. The nearest level 1 trauma center from my area of opertaion is 45 mintues. After we'd get someone critical there, the surgeons were always upset with our use of quick clot.

M_Rapp
04-20-13, 16:06
Now I don't really carry a EDC kit, but if I were at a race as metioned above, I'd say a pair of gloves, band aids, and neosporin, and gauze. Maybe a bite stick for a make shift splint. Small enough you could pocket carry it in a bag or whatever.

I'm not a fan of quick clot as I haven't really had any experience with it. I know that they took it out of our local protocols a few years back because of the required surgical intervention. The nearest level 1 trauma center from my area of opertaion is 45 mintues. After we'd get someone critical there, the surgeons were always upset with our use of quick clot.
Any feedback on the Celox (sp?) impregnated gauze?

Nobody_Special
04-21-13, 22:15
When my kids (2 and 3) are with me I have a "boo boo" kit, epi-pen and a pedi airway kit.

RWCRaiden
04-24-13, 08:29
Any feedback on the Celox (sp?) impregnated gauze?

Sorry, I don't have any expereince with that either. We are kind of low-tech (or old school) around my area, and we just use the regular gauze or dressings and direct pressure.

It took us a few years to finally go from direct pressure to tourniquet in our SOP's, getting rid of the elevation, pressure points, ect. for bleeding control.

Nobody_Special
04-24-13, 14:42
We use HemCon Chito Gauze. The few times it's been used (not by me) it did a great job.

http://www.hemcon.com/Products/ChitoGauzeHemostaticGauzeOverview.aspx

Vendetta
07-01-13, 19:20
I work in a larger city with multiple trauma centers all over the city. That being said, I'm a cop and have been involved in multiple incidents where my friends have been shot, once was bad but we were lucky enough to have a medic with us at the same time we started taking fire and my friend got hit.

I wear class B's so I am able to have cargo pockets which makes it possible. I carry a pair of gloves in my back pocket, an Oales bandage in the larger left cargo pocket, a TQ in the outer left pocket, Mechanix gloves in the larger right pocket, and a pair of gloves and another TQ in the outer right pocket. On top of that I carry a kit for multiple casualties in my car and a DARK kit on my plate carrier.

It might all be overkill, it might not, when things have gone bad, I wasn't near my car to grab a bag, so I carry enough on me to get aid going.

Six Feet Under
07-20-13, 20:58
In the hiring process with a local PD, so not an EMT/FF/medic, but I'll still throw in mine.

All I usually have is a Kershaw Tanto Blur knife, Streamlight PT2L light, and a pair of nitrile gloves, aside from the G19 and spare mag(s) or S&W 642. I've tried to get away from carrying a ton of stuff in my pockets at work because I'm constantly putting on safety harnesses for industrial equipment so I can go up in the lifts and I walk anywhere from 4-8 miles a night at work, so having weight/bulk in my pockets (especially the cargo pockets, where it slaps against my knees all night) is very aggravating. Gloves are a necessity though. People are nasty.

Once I get on the road I will change that up and buy a few more tourniquets to keep in my pockets or on my gun belt, or maybe make a pocket kit and vacuum seal it in case I get involved in an incident away from my patrol car. I'm typically never more than 100 yards away from my vehicle as it is with my current job. My external SHTF vest that will become my active shooter rig has a North American Rescue trauma kit on it, and my truck has one with similar/identical stuff in it. Shears, chest seals, multiple sets of gloves, tourniquets, Sharpies, Israeli bandages, NPA, decomp needle, etc.

Boy Scout
07-21-13, 17:47
This is my pocket EDC kit.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/jsx1043/E5441D71-E7F8-4AB9-BE26-F5E8C5D129B9-5778-000006506EF08E5F_zpsbde92110.jpg

It's more of a boo-boo kit, but the quintessential triangular bandage can do a lot: bandage, sling, tourniquet, etc. I have it set up for the carabiner TQ since exsanguination is top priority and would be the heaviest thing I could attempt with this kit. It rides in my right cargo pocket during the summer, right rear jeans pocket in winter.

And here it is closed up next to my wife's iPhone for size comparison:

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/jsx1043/09049B9D-1360-41D6-BD9A-E4B7DB61CB0C-5778-0000065136787BEF_zps61c2aea9.jpg

aguila327
07-21-13, 20:09
Usually carrry 2 pairs of nitriles and a couple of vionex wipes along with a few bandaids for fingertips and knuckles.

I'm not a medic so I don't plan on any major trauma work. Ill have to use whatever is around for any major bleeders.

Although thanks to this thread I will be adding a face shield.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
07-21-13, 20:52
This is my pocket EDC kit.

text & pictures

If you do not mind me asking, who makes that case and where did you get it? I first saw something like that on a Paul Gomez Youtube clip, and have been trying to find one.

Boy Scout
07-21-13, 21:04
No prob SeriousStudent. It's actually part of what used to be an old ankle pouch made by Brigade Quartermaster. It had two horizontal elastic straps with Velcro to go around your ankle. The elastic wore out so I just took off the straps and put the pocket to good use. I'm in the process of getting a good sewing machine to start making some nylon products geared towards LE, fire and EMS, and a pouch similar to this is first on the list. I'm working out the bugs on this one to see how to develop a better one.

SeriousStudent
07-21-13, 21:17
Sweet, keep me in mind for that when you start selling them. I'll even help with some material.

Some light blue Cordura would be handy, it would blend right in with a jeans pocket.

medic3648
07-21-13, 22:42
An Iphone, Nicorette, gloves, knife and a pen. My phone has flashlight app for seeing stuff and checking pupils. I work as a paramedic for a busy 911 service in a bad area. Everything else I need is on the boo boo bus. Most useful tool ever is an Iphone, trying to remember how I was a paramedic without one.

Caduceus
07-22-13, 10:30
back when I was an EMT, I had a keychain size CPR mask on me nearly 24/7. Also a pocket knife, and in the past few years, a flashlight.

After ... a lot ... of years, I don't carry the mask anymore. Part of it is the new CAB type of BLS, but mainly I got tired of replacing them or losing them. I have a mask at home and in my car. No reason I should be spit swapping with a dinky mask, when someone can run to my car and get a real one (or a BVM).

Otherwise, I don't carry medical specific gear.

Now, when deployed (yeah, I'm a fobbit, get over it), I carried my required CAT, as well as an Israeli bandage, a 14g angiocath, pair of gloves and combat gauze. Thta's only b/c we had IDF occasionally and I felt obligated to have something until help arrived.

$CashMoney$
08-09-13, 06:31
Most useful tool ever is an Iphone, trying to remember how I was a paramedic without one.

Can you explain that? I have a BB issued from work and have no need for another phone, so I'm not so smart on Iphones.

Caduceus
08-09-13, 08:09
Can you explain that? I have a BB issued from work and have no need for another phone, so I'm not so smart on Iphones.

Probably apps that help with medications, ie Epocrates or Lexicomp. Plus you can get ACLS specific things. Some companies make run-sheet type apps.

fyrediver
08-09-13, 20:13
A smart phone can be very helpful.

I've got Hazmat guides (ERG, NIOSH, etc), drug reference guides, a Metronome for CPR, County BLS & ALS protocols, phone numbers for local clinics, ERs, etc. There's a lot of valuable information at your fingertips.

Plus you can play Angry Birds when you're staging for Police!

sasage
09-29-14, 19:49
As far as apps, Wiser and Hazmat Pocket Guide...local protocols in PDF format.

lunchbox
09-29-14, 20:04
There is also a heart rate and pulse oximeter app., my buddy who has heart problems showed me this a couple of days ago.EDIT: I think this is the one he has or similar Pulse Oximeter - Heart and Oxygen Monitor by digiDoc Technologies AS
https://appsto.re/us/ctZoU.i