PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Magazine Storage (Cover or No Cover?)

Heidevolk
12-11-10, 23:00
Is it okay to store a Magpul Magazine loaded for weeks or months w/o the plastic feed lip cover?

I would like to use one as a "backup" magazine, and having the cover on there would really get in the way in an emergency.

I've been contemplating using a AR for home defense in place of my shotgun. I like having a backup magazine next to the gun JIC the primary somehow fails or has a major issue.

kmrtnsn
12-11-10, 23:06
I have been keeping loaded P-Mags in my tac vest and go bags for a couple of years without issue.

controlledpairs2
12-12-10, 01:10
ive kept loaded p-mags (28 rnds) for up to 11 months. no issues.

redfernsoljah
12-12-10, 01:28
No issues here for over a couple of years been doing it in austere environments. I have not used the covers due to ease of access. I probably would just in a storage setting though, if I did not have to get to them right away.

SIGguy229
12-12-10, 02:40
Is it okay to store a Magpul Magazine loaded for weeks or months w/o the plastic feed lip cover?

I would like to use one as a "backup" magazine, and having the cover on there would really get in the way in an emergency.

I've been contemplating using a AR for home defense in place of my shotgun. I like having a backup magazine next to the gun JIC the primary somehow fails or has a major issue.

I've kept one loaded without the cover for about 2 years...so I can't tell you if there is a problem yet....however, one of the "features" of the cover is to: keep debris out of the mag, and reduce the pressure on the feedlips (and prevent spread)...

So I have to ask, what is the true likelihood of you needing it in an emergency? i.e. standing a post, under known threat of violence, or on patrol.....or is it "just in case"? If J-I-C, then keep the mag in the weapon, chamber closed, safety on...

If the mag is going to sit outside of the weapon, keep the cover on....plus, you won't lose the covers....

Heidevolk
12-12-10, 09:53
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.

Those using them professionally should know! If it wasn't okay, then I imagine it wouldn't be a viable alternative to metal magazines.

RogerinTPA
12-12-10, 11:56
I've stored several, with and without the covers, for a few years now, including some USGI aluminum mags. When I test fired a few earlier this year, they all functioned as advertised. Unless you are down range in the field or "over there", prosecuting the war on terror, I wouldn't worry about it.

Beat Trash
12-12-10, 13:29
I have had several PMAG's loaded for about 2 to 2.5 years. Some were at home, some were kept at work for an "active shooter" type of incident, and a couple were kept in the car to get to and from work without any issues.

I noticed yesterday that these magazines (19 of them in all) will no longer drop free, either with the magazine loaded or empty.

The guns are Colt 6920's. I don't think it's an issue of an out of spec magazine well, as these magazines inserted and dropped free when new.

I'm not ready to get too upset or excited just yet. These magazines have a manufacture date of 08/2010 and are of the older design.

I plan on calling Mag Pull on monday and talk with them about the issue, and to see if the revised PMAG addresses this issue.

It does concern me a bit though, as I have done a lot of work to convince the powers to be at my agency to switch over from the current magazines used to PMAG's. We planned on starting to rotate PMAG's in during 2011's budget. Between SWAT weapons and Patrol Rifles, the magazines would need to be able to remain loaded for extended periods without an issue.

Every manufacture can have an issue with their product. Anything manmade can have an issue pop up now and then. So I want to reiterate that I am not bashing Mag Pul or the PMAG.

I am saying if you use your equipment to go into harms way, test your gear often, no matter who makes it. It's not a slam on the manufacture, but sometimes shit happens!

kmrtnsn
12-12-10, 13:38
Remember, magazines, whether G.I. metal mags or new fangled polymer ones from any manufacturer, are intended as disposable items; you use them, they wear out, you throw them away.

Heidevolk
12-12-10, 13:43
I noticed yesterday that these magazines (19 of them in all) will no longer drop free, either with the magazine loaded or empty.

That's unfortunate! It would definitely be interesting to hear what Magpul has to say. I wondered if this was why they included the dust cover, or if it turned out it was unnecessary afterall.

Could you clarify regarding the age of the magazines? You said manufacture date of 08/2010 but stored for 2.5 years?

Beat Trash
12-12-10, 17:59
That's unfortunate! It would definitely be interesting to hear what Magpul has to say. I wondered if this was why they included the dust cover, or if it turned out it was unnecessary afterall.

Could you clarify regarding the age of the magazines? You said manufacture date of 08/2010 but stored for 2.5 years?

You're correct. I work 3rd shift and the caffeine hadn't kicked in when I typed my first reply. The manufacture date on the mags are from 2008. After I bought these magazines, I shot rounds through them to function check them. They've been loaded since.

Goat33S
12-12-10, 18:17
Remember, magazines, whether G.I. metal mags or new fangled polymer ones from any manufacturer, are intended as disposable items; you use them, they wear out, you throw them away.

Well said sir. Well said.
I have around 25 or so Pmags. 8 of them are in my vest and about 5 more in a bag loaded down with 28 rounds each. Every time the times change I switch out the magazines. If this helps or not who knows, but I have not run into to many problems thus far. If I do I throw it out and go buy a new one to replace it.

Heidevolk
12-12-10, 19:06
Well said sir. Well said.
I have around 25 or so Pmags. 8 of them are in my vest and about 5 more in a bag loaded down with 28 rounds each. Every time the times change I switch out the magazines. If this helps or not who knows, but I have not run into to many problems thus far. If I do I throw it out and go buy a new one to replace it.

I like that philosophy, just go shooting and check them out every time we fall back or jump ahead an hour :-)

Goat33S
12-13-10, 00:37
I like that philosophy, just go shooting and check them out every time we fall back or jump ahead an hour :-)

Who knows if it matters, but easy to remember.

GermanSynergy
12-13-10, 11:54
Had some PMAGs loaded since January 2008 w/o issue.

rl168
01-02-11, 22:05
Had some PMAGs loaded since January 2008 w/o issue.

Good to know, I am planning to keep a few PMAGS loaded for just in case.

skyugo
02-09-11, 18:46

what about those 60 dollar HK high reliability ones? that's an heirloom mag right? :D

kmrtnsn
02-09-11, 21:56
what about those 60 dollar HK high reliability ones? that's an heirloom mag right? :D

Anyone who spends 60 dollars on an HK magazine doesn't deserve to have the 60 dollars in the first place.

FishingFool
02-09-11, 23:13
Anyone who spends 60 dollars on an HK magazine doesn't deserve to have the 60 dollars in the first place.

I just splurted dr. pepper out of my nose. :haha:

itsturtle
02-10-11, 02:12
I just splurted dr. pepper out of my nose. :haha:

Party fowl!

skyugo
02-11-11, 01:02

:D aaah

14 bucks for a p-mag is pretty hard to beat....

Jay Cunningham
02-21-11, 22:43

It's one of those things not to worry about. I would recommend the black or OD PMAGs however as they seem slightly tougher than their lighter colored brethren.

Jay Cunningham
02-21-11, 22:43
It's one of those things not to worry about. I would recommend the black or OD PMAGs however as they seem slightly tougher than their lighter colored brethren.

edited to add: the best place to keep the spare magazine is on the gun itself...

MPK9Cop
02-22-11, 08:14
springer precision makes a heck of a good mag coupler for the pmags. Deffinitely can't wait for mine to be here. They actually leave room to allow manupulation of your controls.