PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSA-E or RRA 2 stage?

theoak
12-11-10, 23:14
I was going swap out my factory trigger for a Geissele SSA-E (for a 20" SS upper), but I let my local dealer talk me into a RRA 2 stage for $150.

He said the RRA is the best 2 stage trigger for the money, but at $199 the Geissele SSA-E doesn't seem like it's that much more.

Does the RRA 2-stage a trigger perform well, or should I have gone with the Geissele?

ucrt
12-11-10, 23:20

Just curious, did the dealer have the Geissele in stock?

If not, ...figure it out.

IMO, you messed up. :(

CLHC
12-11-10, 23:21
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15537

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64726

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60395

Belmont31R
12-11-10, 23:35
The Geissele is a far better trigger.

ALCOAR
12-11-10, 23:50
I wish I was shocked by how dishonest this gun store clerk was but that is totally par for the course.

bkb0000
12-12-10, 00:02
RRA triggers are "good" triggers, if you understand their limitations, and don't pay full retail for 'em.

expect to get 3-5k before it turns into a long, mushy single-stage. if it goes longer, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

DTHN2LGS
12-12-10, 11:23
That gun store guy is one of those guys who thinks that something cheaper is "just as good as" the higher priced, better quality products.

He's wrong.

Will he refund your money?

Duffy
12-12-10, 11:44
Years ago I reported my RRA 2 stage went from a clean 2 stage to an unpredictable single stage, after only fewer than 100rds fired.

Steve at ADCO actually posted a fix for it after more people complained about it. I'm sure there are RRA 2 stage triggers out there that work, but if I ever buy one again (I never will, there are far better choices made by people that don't cut corners), I'd buy the WOA modified RRA 2 stage, never the factory one again, it was unsafe to shoot after it went to a crappy single stage (would fire with unpredictable amount of pressure on the trigger).

RRA 2 stage for $150? You can get the SSA for not much more. I'm not sure if guy was trying to sell you something with better margin, or he actually believes the RRA that has plenty of poor record is a better trigger.

irocracer89
12-12-10, 12:02
To me the Geissele, would have been the best bet. I had read several problems with the RRA, before purchasing my SSA. Never look for a different trigger again..

ALCOAR
12-12-10, 12:05
I was not gonna add insult to injury but Duffy's report of only 100rds. fired before the now famous disappearing second stage is very accurate and I have heard of numerous RRA's failing before the 500rd. mark.

At best your looking at like 2-3k on the RRA vs. being buried with your GA triggers...which I fully intend to do and my Will already stipulates this to happen upon my death:D

Scorpion
12-12-10, 12:22
Lesson learned: never get advice from a gun store clerk. They are usually full of it.

TehLlama
12-12-10, 12:57
The WOA tuned RRA is the best iteration of that trigger, and I immediately trashed that one after trying my first SSA. First of five.

dangerdan
12-12-10, 15:50
Geissele in English stands for "The best effin trigger on the market!"

Mjolnir
12-12-10, 16:16
Geissele in English stands for "The best effin trigger on the market!"

So say the Gods, anyway. ;)

C4IGrant
12-12-10, 16:39
I was going swap out my factory trigger for a Geissele SSA-E (for a 20" SS upper), but I let my local dealer talk me into a RRA 2 stage for $150.

He said the RRA is the best 2 stage trigger for the money, but at $199 the Geissele SSA-E doesn't seem like it's that much more.

Does the RRA 2-stage a trigger perform well, or should I have gone with the Geissele?

Dude, the RRA and SSA are not even in the same league.

Its like the difference between an 7 series BMW and a Ford Fiesta.

My fellow gun dealers are typically some of the most IGNORANT and DISHONEST people you will ever meet (next to used car dealers).

C4

davidz71
12-12-10, 16:58
I haven't been disappointed in the RRA 2 stage match trigger I put in my Spikes Tactical lower/Colt HBar 20 inch upper. I've been shooting a number of different stock 2 stage triggers in Colt and Ruger Mini14 so this might not be saying much. My next trigger will be one of the Geissele triggers for my LWRC just to compare.

Stickman
12-12-10, 17:12
RRA triggers are "good" triggers, if you understand their limitations, and don't pay full retail for 'em.

expect to get 3-5k before it turns into a long, mushy single-stage. if it goes longer, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I had a RRA 2 stage trigger last less than a magazine before it went south. I would not recommend the triggers regardless of price.

theoak
12-12-10, 22:13
I listened to my "dealer" and ended up buying the RRA 2-stage. It actually feels like a 4 lb single stage trigger, rather than a 2-stage. I hope it didn't go belly up already...

$50.00 more for an SSA-E would have been worth it...

Robb Jensen
12-12-10, 22:30
Dude, the RRA and SSA are not even in the same league.

Its like the difference between an 7 series BMW and a Ford Fiesta.

My fellow gun dealers are typically some of the most IGNORANT and DISHONEST people you will ever meet (next to used car dealers).

C4

Amen. It's hard to get accurate non-biased opinions on stuff in the gun world.

What I own:

a few Geissele SSAs
1 Geissele Super Dynamic 3gun trigger
1 Geissele DMR trigger
1 KAC trigger
2 USGI triggers

DTHN2LGS
12-13-10, 16:55
What I own:

a few Geissele SSAs
1 Geissele Dynamic 3gun trigger
1 Geissele DMR trigger
1 KAC trigger
2 USGI triggers

I'm looking to get a Geissele trigger for my precision AR, do you think the DMR or the Dynamic 3 Gun would be a better choice?

theoak
12-13-10, 17:14
I'm looking to get a Geissele trigger for my precision AR, do you think the DMR or the Dynamic 3 Gun would be a better choice?

That was my intent to begin with: A high quality 2-stage trigger for my precision AR....I'm going to swap out the RRA for the Geissele SSA-E.

calvin118
12-13-10, 17:20
Me too. I've decided that I'm sick of the heavy pull and choppy reset on my USGI. I was all set to pick up a SD3G, but am on the fence. I read that the reset was longer than expected and the pull is extremely light. To anyone who has experience with the Geissele line as a whole, which trigger would you recommend for a general purpose carbine that could be used for anything from close quarters to bench shooting?

Belmont31R
12-13-10, 17:33

Completely different types of triggers.

The DMR is an adjustable 2 stage. The SD3G is a single stage non adjustable.

Belmont31R
12-13-10, 17:35
Me too. I've decided that I'm sick of the heavy pull and gritty reset on my USGI. I was all set to pick up a SD3G, but am on the fence. I read that the reset was longer than expected and the pull is extremely light. To anyone who has experience with the Geissele line as a whole, which trigger would you recommend for a general purpose carbine that could be used for anything from close quarters to bench shooting?

I think the SSA is still a great trigger despite all the new ones that have come out. If you want to try the flat trigger the SD-Combat is a great choice. Both the SSA-E and SD-E are a bit lighter in feel at around 3.5lbs. The Combat and SSA are around 4.5lbs.

To me the enhanced models are a bit more of a replacement for something like a DMR. The 4.5lb triggers (SD-C and SSA) are a bit better for general purpose since they are a little heavier.

calvin118
12-13-10, 18:18
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how the various resets compare?

Belmont31R
12-13-10, 18:22
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how the various resets compare?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68055

LONGBOWAH
12-13-10, 20:56
Coulda/shoulda/woulda.

If the G-unit better? Probably (OK, it is) but we're splitting hairs here.

If you can get your $ back, I would...if not, I wouldn't sweat it...shoot it and get the "G" next time.

Depending on your intended use it won't make that much of a difference.

I run SSAs, LWRC and mil-spec triggers.

LONGBOWAH
12-13-10, 20:59
I think the SSA is still a great trigger despite all the new ones that have come out. If you want to try the flat trigger the SD-Combat is a great choice. Both the SSA-E and SD-E are a bit lighter in feel at around 3.5lbs. The Combat and SSA are around 4.5lbs.

To me the enhanced models are a bit more of a replacement for something like a DMR. The 4.5lb triggers (SD-C and SSA) are a bit better for general purpose since they are a little heavier.

I just posted essentially the same on TOS...the SSA is the combat/battle trigger upgrade. Not that there aren't other good triggers out there; depends on the app.

CoryCop25
12-13-10, 21:04
I have a RRA two stage that I have about 3000 rounds through without any issues. I paid $75 for it new (the only reason I bought it). I read some negative things about them so I purchased an SSA. I put the SSA on my go to rifle and put the RRA on another rifle that will never see duty work. I never knew the difference in quality until I installed the SSA. The SSA is bomb proof and the RRA is very loose and just feels like garbage compared to the SSA.

TOM1911
12-13-10, 21:10
I just shot down an attempt by a associate to steer me towards the RR.. I didn't fall for it ;)

Stickman
12-13-10, 21:11
To anyone who has experience with the Geissele line as a whole, which trigger would you recommend for a general purpose carbine that could be used for anything from close quarters to bench shooting?

The SSA.

calvin118
12-14-10, 21:52
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68055

Thanks for taking the time to do that fantastic comparison. The SD3G looks great, I just wish it was a tad heavier. I emailed Geissele a little while back about whether they had or could recommend a spring that would take the weight up 0.5-1 lb, but did not get a response. Still on the fence regarding SD3G vs. SSA/SD-C. If nobody knows a good way to bump the weight up on the SD3G, I'll probably go ahead and order an SD-C... but that single action looks so darn nice.

johnson
12-14-10, 22:07
The 3G is not a single stage. There is takeup like a 2 stage but with no wall and Geissele described it perfectly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=344901

sagmill
12-15-10, 20:08
Thanks for taking the time to do that fantastic comparison. The SD3G looks great, I just wish it was a tad heavier. I emailed Geissele a little while back about whether they had or could recommend a spring that would take the weight up 0.5-1 lb, but did not get a response. Still on the fence regarding SD3G vs. SSA/SD-C. If nobody knows a good way to bump the weight up on the SD3G, I'll probably go ahead and order an SD-C... but that single action looks so darn nice.

You can bend the legs up on the trigger spring to bring the weight up. Should be able to get another pound. Or use the Hi-Speed Service Rifle spring. Email the sales@g........com

Robb Jensen
12-25-10, 13:11

It's really personal preference. For precision ARs I like 2 stage triggers like the KAC, Geissele SSA or DMR.

GermanSynergy
12-25-10, 14:12
If Geissele is an option, Geissele is the answer.

I shot my Recce rifle with a Geissele DMR trigger, and it shoots like a house on fire.