PDA

View Full Version : Handgun weapon lights

LOKNLOD
08-12-07, 19:14
I've had a TLR1 on my Glock 17/34 for a while now, but I'm beginning to question it's functionality a bit. In the role of a nightstand gun, it makes sense to only have 1 item to grab in the middle of the night.

On the other hand, I don't like having to use my trigger finger to run the light. If I use the constant-on mode, it isn't an issue, but if using the momentary switch, you lose the light when you need to fire. If I take a bit of a weird grip (or if the switch protruded farther) I can just the light with my off-hand thumb but that seems like it's just asking for trouble.

I'm wondering if a hand-held light might be a more versatile option. How do others feel about weaponlights vs. hand-held lights with handguns?

I realize the best thing would be to attend a low-light class and try everything out under the watchful eye of one of the more capable instructors...but that's just not working out for me financially or geographically for the time being.

NCPatrolAR
08-12-07, 20:29
Who is teaching people to use their trigger finger to run pistol mounted lights? I keep seeing this mentioned, but have never heard where people are getting it from. Anyways...

For me, I run all my pistol mounted lights with my non-dominate thumb. My grip makes this easy and keeps me from moving my trigger finger around.

To answer one of the questions asked; a hand-held light is a much more versatile option. Keep in mind that if you go with it, you need to be training on the best way to use it properly.

Hawkeye
08-12-07, 20:49
I activate my X200's with the thumb of my left hand ( I am right handed ) as well. My normal grip puts my left thumb right at the switch.

Joe R.
08-12-07, 22:38
NC and Hawkeye have pointed you in the right direction for activation of a weapon mounted light (at least the x200 TLR1 types).

I would still recommend having a hand held light by the bed side as you don't want to be pointing your weapon as things that go bump in the night as the bump might be the kids comming in late or getting up for a drink. A light mounted on a gun is a target identification and engagement tool...it is no longer a flashlight.

LOKNLOD
08-12-07, 23:39
Who is teaching people to use their trigger finger to run pistol mounted lights? I keep seeing this mentioned, but have never heard where people are getting it from. Anyways...

I think that's just the problem -- not that someone is teaching it, it's just perpetuating itself through ignorance. I think for a lot of people to pick up a pistol with a light, it's just more natural to go for it with the trigger finger, without thinking about the how or why. Or maybe I'm just wired wrong.

For me, I run all my pistol mounted lights with my non-dominate thumb. My grip makes this easy and keeps me from moving my trigger finger around.

I activate my X200's with the thumb of my left hand ( I am right handed ) as well. My normal grip puts my left thumb right at the switch.

NC and Hawkeye have pointed you in the right direction for activation of a weapon mounted light (at least the x200 TLR1 types).

I guess the weak-hand thumb thing isn't as odd as I was thinking. At least I know I wasn't inventing anything new ;) I have to adjust my weak hand a bit to catch the lever with my thumb. I've only tried it dry-firing so far, I will give it a good run-through on my next range trip.

I would still recommend having a hand held light by the bed side as you don't want to be pointing your weapon as things that go bump in the night as the bump might be the kids comming in late or getting up for a drink. A light mounted on a gun is a target identification and engagement tool...it is no longer a flashlight.

Good point.

Luckystiff
08-13-07, 01:57
When you live fire using your week hand thumb to activate the light, your thumb is going to take a beating. I run my X200 with the DG switch. The DG does cause some unintended activations, especially when drawing the gun. It is an issue but the DG allows me to still have use of my week hand while running the light and the gun. For everything you get out of something you’re going to give up something else.

You still need a hand held light even when running a weapon mounted light.

Hawkeye
08-13-07, 08:04
When you live fire using your week hand thumb to activate the light, your thumb is going to take a beating.

I've not encountered that as a problem yet.

ST911
08-13-07, 10:02
I also use my weak hand thumb. No problems with that technique.

RD62
08-13-07, 12:50
I like both lights. I'm not a big fan of using weapon mounted lights on a handgun to search. I use a hand held. I have a weapon mounted light on my long gun, but not my handgun. In fact my former dept wouldn't allow the use of weapon mounted handgun lights. I would like to get a Surefire X200, but it would be used in conjunction with a hand held.

-RD62

ErnieB
08-13-07, 23:53
A Glock 17 with a Surefire weapons light rests on my nightstand along with a handheld light. If you shoot a thumbs forward grip, actuating the switch on the weapons mounted light with your support side thumb should be easy.

All my long guns have lights.

A few issues to ponder if you run a dedicated weapons mounted light on your pistol are reliable functioning and the ability to reholster your gun with the light on if you need to go hands on. Some departments here in Vegas have had many issues with weapons mounted lights on Glock 22's. Due to the flexing of the frame in recoil the additional weight of the light causes malfunctions. This has not been the case with Glock 17's. If you chose to carry a weapons mounted light on your duty belt instead of a dedicated holster setup you lose the ability to reholster your gun should you need to. My suggestion is to run both a belt and weapons mounted light and use them as the situation dictates.