PDA

View Full Version : Question on old training

Powereng
08-12-07, 19:22
Let start out by saying that I'm a civilian shooter, have no mil or LE background, and have only been shooting AR's for about 2 years. However, during a recent training class, put on by a well known training company, I witnessed something that has bother me now for a week.

During one of the shoot on the move exercises, I very good shooter and retired LE officer had this primary weapon go down, he then transitioned to his side-arm and then had an ammunition related failure. Now from my recollection I believe he locked the slide back, dropped the magazine and then proceded to throw his handgun at the target. My jaw about hit the deck. Everyone around me was stunned as well and wanted and explanation. However, my other concern is that the instructor never said a word to the ex-officer/student, and never addressed the class as to the shooters actions.

On a another gun forum the ex-officer/student said he reverted back to some old training, however he never mentioned that he threw his gun at the target.

What I would like to know is if anyone with previous LE training has every been taught or witnessed this before? I ask that you respond only if you can help me better understand the shooters actions. Thank you.

NCPatrolAR
08-12-07, 20:35
I've never seen something like that advocated in LE circles. For us in the LE world, that would be a huge mistake since our pistols are typically our only firearm (unless we are using a BUG or have long guns deployed for some reason).

What you described happening sounds like something that would be advocated by a company based out of TN, but who knows where the LEO picked it up from. In all honesty, he probably read about it in a magazine and put it in his toolbox.

Joe R.
08-12-07, 20:50
Powereng, as the instructor I was as shocked as the rest of the class. I was also more then just a bit pissed. Had I dealt with the problem at that point I may have said more then necessary, and or said it inappropriately.

The problem was dealt with in a private setting later. Be assured that the individual knows how unhappy I was.

Steve
08-12-07, 21:02
No see as Powereng failed to mention I told him what my thought was and what yes i was going for a bug gun.. and i was out of mags on all accounts and still moving..

what he also failed to say is that i was shookdown by the lead trainer. off to the side. and later again in a phone call. and No it wasnt a gun rag, I read one..(SWAT) did i admit my mistake. yes was i corrected yes.. maybe lashing would be better. cause he gave me agood one which i desreved and rightfully so.....

wasnt it not done in front of the class. it's called his discretion did i step on myself and make a mistake yes. did i admit to my mistake yes.

I was taught 1 day fighting class that your gun went TU you had a bug the bad guys reaction was to what when you tossed your gun in his face.... etc and at that moment that one second in life.... that thought flashed in my mind and I reacted... gun was at slide lock no ammo left primary or secondary and was it the right training no...

No i never trained with the crew from TN.

was it smart? no not really did it happen yes. I can admit when i screw up and what happened and again he gave it to me good.

Powereng
08-12-07, 21:17
Thank you Joe. However, there were 11 other students in that class that witnessed what happened. That’s 11 people that might try that stunt someday and get themselves killed for not knowing that you only do that if you have a BUG. You have to remember that your not just teaching just LE officers. You have doctors, para's, emt's, engineers, and housewives. I'm just upset that I was too chicken chit to say something during class other than on my written critique which was too little too late.

Powereng
08-12-07, 21:29
[QUOTE=Steve;70466]No see as Powereng failed to mention I told him what my thought was and what yes i was going for a bug gun.. and i was out of mags on all accounts and still moving.QUOTE]

Steve I tried to keep this professional. However you just expalained your actions to me yesterday at the match, when you were bashing the student that you thought wrote the critique of Joe's class.

Steve
08-12-07, 21:38
Yes and I made a mistake.. on that for my reasons and I was wrong.

anyhow I live and learn from my actions. no harm no foul no issues.

Joe R.
08-12-07, 21:39
I'm just upset that I was too chicken chit to say something during class other than on my written critique which was too little too late.

The critiques were completed prior to the students leaving the range. You had ample opportunity to voice your concern. In fact, I'm pretty sure...no make that positive I asked several times for peoples comments and questions. Had you done so at the time, then everyone might have benefited from the explanation.

As I stated earlier, I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't want to say something inappropriate. After I spoke to Steve about it I didn't feel there was a need to bring it up again.

blackhawk2000
08-15-07, 21:02
Nevermind