PDA

View Full Version : Alkali or Ph Diets - Q&A

Gutshot John
12-12-10, 11:42
Will Brink or anyone who knows much.

My hand-to-hand instructor recommended this as something he uses and gets a lot out of (he's in damn good shape). It makes a bit of sense when considering free-radicals and anti-oxidants but does the reality mesh with the claims.

I like leafy greens a lot and I think I can do it when coupled with some lean protein but I'm always skeptical of things that start to change body chemistry.

Thanks in advance.

300WM
12-12-10, 16:21
What exactly are you asking?

Gutshot John
12-12-10, 16:38
What exactly are you asking?

Whether there is anything to it or simply the opposite number of the Atkins nonsense and whether such a change in body chemistry is worthwhile.

WillBrink
12-12-10, 17:59
Whether there is anything to it or simply the opposite number of the Atkins nonsense and whether such a change in body chemistry is worthwhile.

You would have to be a bit more specific. Like most things, issues of foods that impact PH have some validity, which people have then taken way out of context, and or use to sell diets, etc. I do have some info on it as it relates to sarcopenia (age related loss of muscle mass) in my article on Sarcopenia. From article:

"Typical Western diets are high in animal proteins and cereal grains, and low in fruits and vegetables. It’s been shown that such diets cause a low grade metabolic acidosis, which contributes to the decline in muscle and bone mass found in aging adults (Frassetto et al., 2001). One study found that by adding a buffering agent (potassium bicarbonate) to the diet of post-menopausal women the muscle wasting effects of a “normal” diet were prevented (Frassetto et al., 1997). The researchers concluded the use of the buffering agent was “… potentially sufficient to both prevent continuing age-related loss of muscle mass and restore previously accrued deficits.”

Additional info:

How To Prevent Age Related Muscle Mass (http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/sarcopenia-the-undiagnosed-epidemic/)

Gutshot John
12-12-10, 18:46
You would have to be a bit more specific. Like most things, issues of foods that impact PH have some validity

Honestly I don't know enough to be more specific. I guess I was mostly wondering if whether keeping the body in a slightly alkali state was beneficial and it seems that there is some truth to it.

I was considering getting "The pH Miracle" but didn't know if you thought that was worthwhile. I do know that I couldn't go completely raw veggie but if there is a way to get most of the benefits and still have it be sustainable as a lifestyle choice than I'm definitely curious.

WillBrink
12-12-10, 18:56
Honestly I don't know enough to be more specific. I guess I was mostly wondering if whether keeping the body in a slightly alkali state was beneficial and it seems that there is some truth to it.

I was considering getting "The pH Miracle" but didn't know if you thought that was worthwhile. I do know that I couldn't go completely raw veggie but if there is a way to get most of the benefits and still have it be sustainable as a lifestyle choice than I'm definitely curious.

Decrease animal proteins and cereal grains, and increase fruits and vegetables. Read the rest of the article for more useful info. :cool:

Gutshot John
12-13-10, 10:05
Will do thanks!