PDA

View Full Version : AK Stock Options

m4brian
12-12-10, 13:28
Looking to 'upgrade' my Hungarian SA 85 which has the "fake" yet ergonomic thumbhole stock. I was thinking about the normal Arsenal set, or laminate wood, but then stumbled on either T6 (Tapco) or VLTOR extension with an AR type. Anyone have pics? Does it solve the AK 'problem'? I find that while the AKM mod puts a straight line to the recoil - good - its butt tends to be a bit high to get a good shoulder weld. Is this 'solved' with the T6 or VLTOR? It does tend to ruin the AK look though. Thoughts? Thanks.

PS - for $90 does the VLTOR really come WITH all that is in the pic?
http://www.vltor.com/accessory.htm

RD62
12-12-10, 13:50
No comment on what's best for your rifle.

The VLTOR kit contains the adapter and all the shims. As mentioned in the VLTOR ad it does not include the stock body or QD swivels. You would need to purchase the models of your preference seperately.

TOrrock
12-12-10, 14:22
For a practical rifle, I'm a big fan of the US made K-Var synthetic clone of the Russian/Bulgarian polymer in the "Warsaw Pact" length.

I've not been impressed by anything Tapco.

If you want a stock that will give you and adjustable LOP, then the Vltor is about as good as it gets.

Hizzie
12-12-10, 15:38
Just remember to pay attention to US parts count and 922r.

m4brian
12-12-10, 16:32
Thanks. If fixed, I'll stick to Warsaw Pact length - easier for a number of reasons. I guess I'd have to replace the FCG - three parts, and stock set - 2 parts for five. No 'nasty' bayonet lug or muzzle device here, so 5 US parts should do the trick.

I do wish the stock butt was a little lower/fuller.

If I wanted to put a flash hider/brake on after all this, I guess I could have the muzzle threaded and use a US muzzle device - correct?

This may pertain to my SAR-1 also. Is threading the muzzle that hard? Called a "class 3 dealer" in Northern VA the other day who said that he doesn't do AKs, but if he did he'd have to pull the barrel and do it on a lathe - read plenty of posts with guys doing it without pulling anything.

Thanks - I kinda figured the $90 only covered the tube adapter.

glockkid88
12-12-10, 19:24
My first ak (wasr10) came with a tapco t6 stock and it sucked. It was kinda loose and the sling swivel at the bottom came loose constantly. also the reciever extension is plastic and doesnt accept ar style stocks of the mil spec variety.

fhpchris
12-12-10, 19:42
For a practical rifle, I'm a big fan of the US made K-Var synthetic clone of the Russian/Bulgarian polymer in the "Warsaw Pact" length.

I've not been impressed by anything Tapco.

If you want a stock that will give you and adjustable LOP, then the Vltor is about as good as it gets.

100% agree. I usually just stick with the normal length though :)

prestonoconnor
12-13-10, 10:36
I had a kvar warsaw length stock kit put on my sa85. I like it but the next thumbhole I convert will be with a laminated stock; probably from ironwood.

doodi1
12-13-10, 10:58
I have a Vltor AK stock on one of my SA-85's and a couple of my Krebs rifles. Very nice design and no problems fitting it to the SA-85 or other rifles. I say if you like the AR style stocks, you cannot get better than the Vltor tube adapter. If i can get a picture of mine, I'll try to post it.

m4brian
12-13-10, 13:32
doodi1: Thanks!

BBJones13
12-13-10, 14:42
100% agree. I usually just stick with the normal length though :)

Warsaw is the normal length as far as I am concerned.

Moose-Knuckle
12-14-10, 18:37
Other than the Russian 100 series folders, the Warsaw Pact length US made ones that K-VAR / Arsenal Las Vegas sells is my next prefered stock.

m4brian
12-15-10, 11:00
Need a US made stock - don't want to have to play with the gas piston.

Ilove2shoot
12-15-10, 11:04
I still love the qaulity and looks of Ironwood Stocks....expecially the black walnut....

TOrrock
12-15-10, 11:12
This stock set counts as 3 US parts....buttstock, pistol grip, and forend.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16217&cat=251&page=1

doodi1
12-15-10, 12:06
Picture of my Krebs with the Vltor adapter and stock. Picture is an attachment, sorry, I'm trying to learn how to attach pictures in this forum.

m4brian
12-15-10, 12:39
What is the weight difference between Ironwood and KVAR?

TOrrock
12-15-10, 20:10
I don't have a scale handy, but the polymer is going to be a little lighter and you won't care as much if it gets dinged up.

It will also withstand moisture/rain and heat/cold better than wood.

m4brian
12-16-10, 09:15
OK - now for the 922r nonsense.

I have a thumbhole SA 85 - of course it has NO nuzzle device. I plan to change out the trigger group with a TAPCO G2 - that is three parts right?

What KVAR stock set do I need to make it compliant? The one for $102 with all US parts, or the one with Bulgarian front handguards?

Thanks.

96 SS
12-16-10, 09:20
Here is a handy worksheet - this should tell you if you are compliant or not.

http://jobson.us/922r/

Belloc
12-16-10, 09:22
Edit.

doodi1
12-16-10, 11:03
Belloc thats a real nice MAK 90. Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows me how to post pictures on this site?

96 SS
12-16-10, 12:22
Belloc - mutha beautiful rifle you got there.

To post pics you have to host them on the net somewhere like Photobucket, Picassa etc.

Then obtain the web address of the image (right click etc)

Post it like this:

Your link.

TOrrock
12-16-10, 13:30
Belloc thats a real nice MAK 90. Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows me how to post pictures on this site?

If you don't have a Photobucket.com account, you can upload files when you respond or start a thread......under Additional Options, you have an icon that allows you to Attach Files.

HK51Fan
12-16-10, 13:59
I walked in to a pawnshop/gunshop I hardly ever frequent a couple of weeks ago and they had a thumbhole polytech AK for sale for 450.00!
So I bought it and am now looking at getting a stock set from Ironwood. I haven't removed the thumbhole stock yet so I don't know if the reciever is angled or normal. With packing and getting ready to move I haven't really had a chance. I'll post pics when I get it finished.
I like the blued looking finish of the polytechs!

titsonritz
12-16-10, 15:13
M4brian with no “nuzzle” device you need 5 US parts, the Tapco G2 does count as three, so you need two more. The forend and handguard counts as one together. You need one more. A full furniture is three for a total of six, which, by the way, is the number of US parts you would need if you decide to thread the barrel end for a muzzle break and/or flash suppressor. Your cheapest route, if that’s what your after, would be a US made forend/handguard set and pistol grip (Hogue, US Palm, Ergo, etc) along with the G2 trigger. Then you don’t need to worry about using US mags.

96 SS, cool worksheet. Do you happen to know if there are others like for the FAL, G3 etc?

m4brian
12-16-10, 15:40
So then butt-stock does not count as a part?

TOrrock
12-16-10, 15:56
So then butt-stock does not count as a part?

Yes, it most assuredly does.

If you want to thread the muzzle and change out the front sight so that you have a spring detent to keep a muzzle device on there, you'll need 6 US parts.

FCG (hammer, trigger, disconnector) = 3
Buttstock = 1
Pistol Grip = 1
Handguard = 1

Gas tubes do not count for ATF, so an Ultimak gas tube rail, while being made in the USA, does not, in fact, count towards unbanning a foreign made rifle and making it "US made" under 922r.

The K-Var stock set I linked to, a complete wooden set from Ironwood; a US made handguard and pistol grip with a Vltor stock adapter, ACE stock, etc. would count as 3 US parts.

A Tapco or K-Var complete FCG would count as the next three parts.

Hope that helps.

Belloc
12-16-10, 15:56
Edit.

titsonritz
12-16-10, 16:01
Was I really that confusing?

m4brian
12-16-10, 18:51
So as is, and a US FCG, I can get this:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16982&cat=251&page=1

But, if I add a muzzle device, I have to have this:

Right?

TOrrock
12-16-10, 19:04

Right?

Affirmative.

LHS
12-16-10, 21:56

Right?

Yes, if you use a foreign-made muzzle device. If you put a US-made muzzle device on, that counts as one 'US-made' compliance part.

CumbiaDude
12-16-10, 22:01
Yeah, +1 to what LHS said. Just don't ADD foreign parts and you're fine. It's not 6 US parts, it's 10 or less foreign parts. :)

96 SS
12-16-10, 22:59
96 SS, cool worksheet. Do you happen to know if there are others like for the FAL, G3 etc?

I just typed 922 calculator in Google - that was the first one that came up. Let me know if you find others.