PDA

View Full Version : Upper receiver/barrel nut

sdw308
12-12-10, 13:41
I recently bought a used upper receiver assy. from a friend. Who ever built it didn't know what they were doing because the delta ring assy was on backwards. When I went to install a new delta ring I had to use an 18" pipe wrench to get the barrel nut off. I suspect there was some type of thread sealer. I cleaned the threads and noticed a couple of small spots where the threads were stripped off. I seated the new barrel nut using the 3X method (actually 5 or 6 times). I tightened it till everything lined up for the gas tube. I also used Loctite C5-A on the threads. So what I would like to know is, is this upper safe to shoot? It seemed like the barrel nut tightened up good, but with semi-damaged threads I am still a little concerned.

Quib
12-12-10, 15:09
Exactly how much of the threads are missing?

Look at the total surface/engagement area of the remaining threads. If it was just a couple very small spots or chips in the threads, and you were able to tighten up the barrel nut securely, without the remaining threads stripping away or any perceived roughness while tightening, then I’m sure you will be ok.

NewbieDave
12-12-10, 15:44
pic helps...

sdw308
12-12-10, 16:28
It was scattered spots, each one seemed small. Didn't think about taking pics before I remounted the barrel. It seemed to tighten up sufficiently without stripping any more threads.

Eric D.
12-12-10, 17:23
Most likely good to go. In the future I would avoid buying used parts that are assembled backwards.

It was scattered spots, each one seemed small. Didn't think about taking pics before I remounted the barrel. It seemed to tighten up sufficiently without stripping any more threads.