PDA

View Full Version : When to lube the bore?

gs013564
12-12-10, 16:43
I know its a good idea to apply a light application of lube to the bore and chamber when storing, but if I shoot the gun almost every weekend, then is it needed? Or does it hurt to have a lubed bore when shooting?

Eric D.
12-12-10, 17:19
Regular inspection is always a good idea. For storing less than a year I'd soak a patch with CLP or similar and run it through the bore. If storing longer than a year, I'd pump the entire bore full of grease. If you're shooting every weekend, its not necessary and you really only need to clean once a month, if that. Just keep the BCG wet.

citizensoldier16
12-12-10, 17:29
I run a wet patch through the bore every time I clean. My choice is usually Hoppes gun oil, but I have been known to use others in a pinch. As the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Not to hijack the thread, but I also have a lube question. When it comes to the BCG, I've heard everything from a light coat of oil to straight up dipping it in Mobil 1 and placing it back in the weapon. What's the consensus on that?

CLHC
12-12-10, 17:33
Found some interesting tid bits in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54609

Magic_Salad0892
12-12-10, 17:36
I dip the BCG in a small bucket of Slip EWL I have, and throw it back in.

Eric D.
12-12-10, 17:45
Dunk that SOB and shove it back in.

When it comes to the BCG, I've heard everything from a light coat of oil to straight up dipping it in Mobil 1 and placing it back in the weapon. What's the consensus on that?

OTO27
12-13-10, 01:13
Only 90% of your BCG actually touches the upper receiver. This includes 4 thin rails located towards the front of the BCG. As long as you apply a generous amount of lube on these rails theres no reason in dunking it in a bucket, as most of the oil is just useless on 90% of that BCG. However, I lube the crap out of the inside, were my gas rings make contact.

As far as the bore goes, I always pass one patch of either slip 2000 EWL or CLP through it before storing, even if only gona be stored for a week. I do like to run a dry patch before shooting though.

89hits
12-13-10, 02:21
what oto said ^

nickdrak
12-13-10, 02:55
No need to dunk the entire BCG....

I add a good amount of quality lube to the four rails on the carrier, the bottom of the carrier where the hammer makes contact, the raised ring area around the bolt, the bolt cam pin, and I also place a drop on the back face of each locking lug on the bolt.

MistWolf
12-13-10, 03:08
I know its a good idea to apply a light application of lube to the bore and chamber when storing, but if I shoot the gun almost every weekend, then is it needed? Or does it hurt to have a lubed bore when shooting?

The purpose of oiling the bore of a steel barrel after cleaning is to prevent rusting. Some bore solvents will strip the steel and promote rust if oil isn't applied. A coat of oil also helps wash away any residue left behind by the bore solvent.

If you're shooting every weekend, this isn't much of a concern. A couple of swipes through the bore with solvent patches, a couple to dry, a couple more oil patches and another couple with a dry patch will be plenty.

It's even less of a problem with stainless steel or if you have a chrome lined or nitrided bore. I'd recommend a couple swipes with a patch anyway just to keep the formation of crustys down to a minimum and to evict any dust bunnies or spiders that take up residence between sessions. It will also give you peace of mind in case you're called away for awhile or have an unexpected extended stay in the hospital

Shiz
12-13-10, 07:14
generously lube bolt/carrier. there is not such thing as too much.

SA80Dan
12-13-10, 08:01
what oto said ^

Same here

goneballistic
12-13-10, 15:59
I generally don't lube the bore except after cleaning because I scrub it out pretty good. You also don't want too much lube in there, I think too much lube will be worse than too little. you are just looking to avoid pitting from condensation.

I'd leave it as is till you clean it, then run an oil soaked patch through there and then a couple of dry ones to soak up excess and you're good.

of course that's different than the bolt/carrier. Lube the CRAP out of those things.

Suwannee Tim
12-13-10, 16:12
You may or may not clean after every session but you should apply some rust preventative to the bore. Most good lubes are also good rust preventatives. I use CLP, there are others. You really need to remove the rust preventer / lube from the chamber before firing. You can do that with a shotgun mop, a heavy duty paper towel and a dowel or by squirting some solvent like brake cleaner into the chamber with the muzzle down. Shooting with lube in the chamber increases bolt thrust, how bad this is is debatable but it is not good. A thin coat of liquid lube in the bore can just be shot out.

Artiz
12-13-10, 16:18
No need to dunk the entire BCG....

I add a good amount of quality lube to the four rails on the carrier, the bottom of the carrier where the hammer makes contact, the raised ring area around the bolt, the bolt cam pin, and I also place a drop on the back face of each locking lug on the bolt.

x3,14159265

Lubing the crap out of the carrier is absolutely worthless. Unless you swim with your AR every other day...

Beat Trash
12-13-10, 16:52
As far as lube on the carrier, I lube any shinny parts of the carrier, and the inside where the gas rings touch the carrier. I luge the bolt also.

As far as when to lube the bore, I rung a wet patch down the bore of any AR that I am storing and don't plan on shooting in the near future. I check all of my guns about every 6 months or so.

If I plan on shooting a gun that I have lubed up for long term storage, then I run a dry patch or two through, to remove any lube in the chamber or bore before I shoot the gun.

ucrt
12-13-10, 17:38

How can a Chrome bore rust?

How is Lube on a moving part or on a part that could possibly rust be "worthless".

GermanSynergy
12-13-10, 18:25
Unless you attend carbine classes where you fire 400 to 600 rds per day, and/or run your carbine suppressed (which burns off alot of lube).

I've never heard a shooter say "golly, I wish I had a dry gun for this class."

x3,14159265

Lubing the crap out of the carrier is absolutely worthless. Unless you swim with your AR every other day...

Artiz
12-13-10, 20:18

How is Lube on a moving part or on a part that could possibly rust be "worthless".

Dumping the whole carrier in oil is not needed and pretty much a waste, you only need a very light coat of oil on the whole carrier to prevent rust, you don't need it to be dripping wet. The only moving parts on the carrier are the 4 rails at the front, the cam pin/hole and the inside where the bolt moves, which need proper lubrication, the rest of the carrier is not rubbing on anything at all and doesn't need the amount of lubrication you use to reduce friction. The whole bolt (not the bolt face) can use a good amount of lubrication.

bkb0000
12-13-10, 20:26
as to the bore- lube is for function of moving parts and wear prevention. since all the lube is blasted out of the bore before the first projectile passes through it (some super hot, super fast gas precedes the projectile), lubing the bore does nothing for wear prevention.

the other thing lube does is attract shit... in the bore, that can cause big problems. kBs have been attributed to shit in the bore- even a little bit of sand.

since your bore is chrome lined or stainless steel, it needs not rust prevention, so long as it gets fired and cleaned every once in a while (storage is totally different). since rust isn't a concern; since it doesn't need lube; since lube attracts shit.... i never, ever lube the bore.

markm
12-13-10, 22:09
Artiz is right. A soaked carrier is only slinging lube back into the RE and making a senseless mess.

There's very little bearing surface on the outside of the carrier. Run the bolt really wet and it'll spritz lube around enough for long shooting sessions.

Suwannee Tim
12-14-10, 05:43

Porosity. Wear. A flaw. Not likely but possible. I've had a couple of nice firearms damaged by rust and it has made me cautious.