PDA

View Full Version : LaRue, Troy or DD for rifle length rail?

A10Burrp
12-12-10, 17:48
I'm ordering my rail this week for my new 16" M4 BCM upper that should arrive by Tuesday or so. I want a rail that will cover almost the entire barrel but doesn't weigh 234lbs. Which one for the money is the best to you all?

Also, should I shave the FSB or buy a low pro? I've heard the most reliable gas block is a shaved FSB. But I don't know for sure.

Eric D.
12-12-10, 17:53
I'm assuming you're talking about a free float rail. I'm partial to the LaRue rails Because they aren't as tall as the DD ones. Most of the DD ones, however, are lighter. I like the idea of a shaved FSB so long as you have a way to refinish it. You'll also want to make sure that a shaved FSB will fit under the rail you choose without removing too much material. There was a thread somewhere about a cracked FSB that was shaved down. I suspect it was because the guy ground off too much material around the bayonet lug and the residual stress from the forging process caused it to crack.

Goat33S
12-12-10, 18:11
Like Eric is with the LaRue, I am that way with Troy rails. Just like he said the DD do seem to be lighter then the rest. With the some of the DD rails you can have a fixed front sights as well.

NewbieDave
12-12-10, 18:15
If weight and having a continuous rail is the thing for you... the DD would be my choice. I vote for the DD just because I run both a Lite and Omega on two different setup.

mhanna91
12-12-10, 19:31
That was me with the cracked FSB. I didnt grind excess off of the bayo lug, I actually left a little extra material there than what would have been flush. My mistake was with my re-install. I used a little too much persuasion (hammer), which caused the crack. I ended up sending it to Rainier to have a VLTOR gas block pinned on. Any pinned block will be as reliable as it gets. Rainier will actually shave your FSB for you for around $30 I believe, so that may be worth looking into.

As for the rail, I went with a Troy 13.8" MRF. Out of the 3 companies you mentioned, Troy makes the longest rail, if Im not mistaken. DD has a 13.2 I think, but Troy is the longest rail from the "high end" manufacturers that I could find. It is very high quality. Fit and finish as well as color match to my BCM upper was excellent. This rail is free float and utilizes your factory barrel nut, so there is no need to remove your old one and have to mess with lining the gas tube hole up and such. I got mine off of ebay for $200 with free shipping.

Eric D.
12-12-10, 20:44
Be weary of ebay with all the counterfeit crap floating around.

Dirtyboy333
12-12-10, 20:45
i think DD makes a 14", maybe the 13.2" is the actual length of the Lite 14. I'm a fan of DD's Lite rails mainly bc of the way they bolt up (i think its a great design) even though u do have to take off the barrel nut and gas tube but its really not a big deal. I also like DD for the looks!!! Although Larue's look really good also, their very similar in looks besides the interrupted rail/ring of the Larue

A10Burrp
12-12-10, 21:02
Leaning towards Troy but I still have an unexplainable boner for LaRue products

pcardinal42
12-12-10, 21:11
Leaning towards Troy but I still have an unexplainable boner for LaRue products

It's because of that beautiful state they place on their products. :D

A10Burrp
12-12-10, 21:34
It's because of that beautiful state they place on their products. :D

Only steers and quee......

cop1211
12-12-10, 21:52
Go for the Larue if thats what your like. The 13.2 would be nice.

BlackWidow
12-12-10, 22:06
I am very fond of the DD rail. Its light weight makes it just outstanding. I run a DDM4 with the 12" fsp and it is by far the best AR I have had the pleasure to run with.

SteveL
12-12-10, 22:16
Does anyone know the weight of the Troy TRX Extreme 13" rail? Either I'm blind, or they (Troy) don't have the weight listed for any of the TRX Extreme BattleRails on their site.

Since everyone keeps saying the DD rails are the lightest, how much weight savings is there between a DD Lite or Omega X compared to a Troy TRX of comparable length?

sammage
12-12-10, 22:24
Does anyone know the weight of the Troy TRX Extreme 13" rail? Either I'm blind, or they (Troy) don't have the weight listed for any of the TRX Extreme BattleRails on their site.

Since everyone keeps saying the DD rails are the lightest, how much weight savings is there between a DD Lite or Omega X compared to a Troy TRX of comparable length?

Here's some info: http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/69016/69058.html

Rjlduo
12-12-10, 22:24
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

That should help.

Sammage beat me to it...

SteveL
12-12-10, 22:36
Thanks. I completely forgot Rob had a chart for rails. Anyway, according to that chart the 13" TRX Extreme rail is lighter (and less expensive) than the DD 12" Lite or Omega X. If the OP wants the longest and lightest rail possible then it looks like the TRX would be the way to go unless he needs/wants the additional rail space on the other options.

pcf
12-12-10, 23:51
I'm a big fan of the Daniel Defense Lite/RIS/Omega X rails due to ease of installation. Torque the barrel nut to 50 pounds and that's it, there's no aligning the barrel nut for the gas tube. Daniel Defense makes a 14" Lite rail. PRI makes 15" free float tubes that you can add rails to as needed.

Edited: There's no unshaving a FSB. If you dimple the barrel for a low profile gas block and stake the set screws, it's not going to move. If you decide to convert back to a regular FSB, the dimples won't be noticeable.

TehLlama
12-12-10, 23:53
I'm going to make the oddball suggestion and say DD M4 Rail. You'd end up with an SDMR handguard setup, and it's the same weight as the Lite rail.

Otherwise, If you're shaving the FSB, I'd go with the VTAC version of the TROY TRX Extreme rail.

cptx123
12-13-10, 00:19
That was me with the cracked FSB. I didnt grind excess off of the bayo lug, I actually left a little extra material there than what would have been flush. My mistake was with my re-install. I used a little too much persuasion (hammer), which caused the crack. I ended up sending it to Rainier to have a VLTOR gas block pinned on. Any pinned block will be as reliable as it gets. Rainier will actually shave your FSB for you for around $30 I believe, so that may be worth looking into.

As for the rail, I went with a Troy 13.8" MRF. Out of the 3 companies you mentioned, Troy makes the longest rail, if Im not mistaken. DD has a 13.2 I think, but Troy is the longest rail from the "high end" manufacturers that I could find. It is very high quality. Fit and finish as well as color match to my BCM upper was excellent. This rail is free float and utilizes your factory barrel nut, so there is no need to remove your old one and have to mess with lining the gas tube hole up and such. I got mine off of ebay for $200 with free shipping.

This is the rail I used and 13.8 is a good length for me. I ground down my fsb well it was still on my rifle with a dremel, cold blued it and then painted it- it worked out well.