PDA

View Full Version : Just Got HK P30 And....

payj
12-12-10, 19:19
It is an awesome gun. I have put 420 rounds through it so far. It is the 9mm v3 version. The DA/SA takes some getting use to, but overall it is a great shooter.

There have been zero malfunctions so far using PMC, Blazer, American Eagle and Fiocchi.

One thing I have noticed though is that sometimes the slide does not lock back on the last round. After doing some research on the topic I have learned that it is most likely do to my high grip not allowing the slide release to engage. After going back to the range I am very confident that is the reason. How many of you have this problem?

Overall, It is a very nice gun.

El Vaquero
12-12-10, 21:03
Good choice and congrats. I will be getting a P30 in .40 LEM version when funds allow. Just can't decide between the P30L or regular P30. . . In the end I will probably just end up getting both, lol.

jwperry
12-12-10, 21:10
One thing I have noticed though is that sometimes the slide does not lock back on the last round. After doing some research on the topic I have learned that it is most likely do to my high grip not allowing the slide release to engage. After going back to the range I am very confident that is the reason. How many of you have this problem?

I used to have this problem, but finally got over it. I do still hit it if I shoot my M&P a lot then go back to my P30.

I plan on try the HK45 slide release in it sometime. It is supposed to be able to still lock the slide back, yet be smaller and not as easy to hit accidentally.

Seraph
12-12-10, 21:50
I've gotten into the M&P, but I'm going to be picking up a P30 sometime soon, so I can make K-25 holsters for them (how's that for an excuse for picking up an HK?). I'll probably get the P30S, since holsters made to accommodate the safety will work for versions without. Hopefully, the safety lever will keep my firing hand thumb well away from the slide stop, as is the case with my M&P 9 FS w/thumb safety.

I suppose I'll eventually have to pick up P30LS, as well. You know... for the holster makin'...

montrala
12-13-10, 07:29
After doing some research on the topic I have learned that it is most likely do to my high grip not allowing the slide release to engage. After going back to the range I am very confident that is the reason. How many of you have this problem?

I had this problem since P2000. Actually I know that several people have problems with slide lock while using "thumb forward" grip also on other guns (Glock, Walther P99, even 1911 with extended realses for eg.). While on other guns it's usually weapon hand thumb that work on slide release and prevent slide lock (sometime other way round - engages slide lock prematurely) in HK P2000/P30 series it usually is reaction hand thumb. Best way to avoid that is not tu press thumb against side of pistol but just rest it easily on top on weapons hand thumb base (knuckle? - English is not my native, have problems with vocabulary sometime). This way I made my grip consistent no matter if I shoot P30L, P2000SK, STI 2011 (with thumb over safety), Glock, Walther P99 or Tanfoglio.

BTW When shooting P2000 (at least GPM model from early production) left handed with thumb forward grip it is possible to press reaction hand thumb against slide release axis and push it out to the left. Sometimes it's enough to engage disassembly cut out in slide and get slide locked completely (pushing slide lever in from left side clears this jam). It happened to me 2 or 3 times on IDPA matches. I was unable to produce this jam on P2000SK, P30 and P30L because those not have slide lock axis protruding to right side (they are recessed into right lever). Anyway this is only for P2000, only for lefties and only for those that grip wrong (thumbs should not push against pistol to the side),

JohnN
12-13-10, 09:55
I've gotten into the M&P, but I'm going to be picking up a P30 sometime soon, so I can make K-25 holsters for them (how's that for an excuse for picking up an HK?). I'll probably get the P30S, since holsters made to accommodate the safety will work for versions without. Hopefully, the safety lever will keep my firing hand thumb well away from the slide stop, as is the case with my M&P 9 FS w/thumb safety.

I suppose I'll eventually have to pick up P30LS, as well. You know... for the holster makin'...

and your wife buys that.....

Seraph
12-13-10, 12:28
and your wife buys that.....

Well, Mr. Ring's Blue Guns are pretty close replicas, but having an example of the real thing is the only way I can truly be 100% sure the holsters will work correctly. I owe it to my customers, you see.

12-13-10, 12:50
Well, Mr. Ring's Blue Guns are pretty close replicas, but having an example of the real thing is the only way I can truly be 100% sure the holsters will work correctly. I owe it to my customers, you see.

I don't know about your wife but I buy that reason....I admire your dedication to your craft..

payj
12-13-10, 15:06
Montrala: Interesting. I will try to change my grip around a little. I wonder if they will release a "short" slide lock sometime in the future? I would pick one up for sure.

Seraph
12-13-10, 15:21
Montrala: Interesting. I will try to change my grip around a little. I wonder if they will release a "short" slide lock sometime in the future? I would pick one up for sure.

jwperry's comment, above, regarding the use of an HK 45's slide stop, got my attention.

LDM
12-13-10, 15:30
I had the same problem with a thumbs forward grip inadvertently blocking the slide release when I first got my P30. I changed my grip ever so slightly and it was less of a problem.
However there is a hardware work-around.
The slide release for the HK45 is shorter than the P30 and will fit the P30 (per HK). It does not have the takedown retention notch as does the P30 slide release, but that is a much less an issue to me than blocking the slide release at the worst possible time (Murphy's Law).
I just today ordered a HK45 slide release for my P30; <$30. It'll be a couple of weeks before it comes in, but will report how this works.
Stay safe.

payj
12-13-10, 15:48
I had the same problem with a thumbs forward grip inadvertently blocking the slide release when I first got my P30. I changed my grip ever so slightly and it was less of a problem.
However there is a hardware work-around.
The slide release for the HK45 is shorter than the P30 and will fit the P30 (per HK). It does not have the takedown retention notch as does the P30 slide release, but that is a much less an issue to me than blocking the slide release at the worst possible time (Murphy's Law).
I just today ordered a HK45 slide release for my P30; <$30. It'll be a couple of weeks before it comes in, but will report how this works.
Stay safe.

Please do report! Also, does the HK 45 slide stop work with the right side slide lock of the p30? If not how does this all work. You made a note about it but want to hear more. How do you then take apart the gun?

E-man930
12-13-10, 18:32
You take apart the gun by fully removing the slide release - ala every other modern plastic H&K. Yes the shorter slide stops engage the abmi slide release. You can also use the P2000SK levers if you prefer a flatter, less round contoured slide release. (I know I do:D)

montrala
12-14-10, 04:31
P30S/P30LS also use shorter slide release stops that fit regular P30. They are shorter for same reason as HK45 ones - to make room for thumb safety levers. Must try my P2000SK flat levers on my P30L. Will report back if they fit.

BTW One can opt for radical change, aka "Norwegian Police Special". During trials for NP pistol users had problems with HK P30L (developed to meet barrel and slide length requirements of this tender) did not lock back. HK reps took pistols and... cutted levers to length just long enough for slide stop to work. After this high-tech mod there were no more issues with slide lock not working. Because NP firearms manual do not call to use lever (they use "slingshot") it was not problem for tender commission. Glock of course protested, but P30L won. This is mod that anyone can do DIY just in same way as HK did during trials :sarcastic:

Seraph
12-14-10, 06:38
P30S/P30LS also use shorter slide release stops that fit regular P30. They are shorter for same reason as HK45 ones - to make room for thumb safety levers. Must try my P2000SK flat levers on my P30L. Will report back if they fit.

BTW One can opt for radical change, aka "Norwegian Police Special". During trials for NP pistol users had problems with HK P30L (developed to meet barrel and slide length requirements of this tender) did not lock back. HK reps took pistols and... cutted levers to length just long enough for slide stop to work. After this high-tech mod there were no more issues with slide lock not working. Because NP firearms manual do not call to use lever (they use "slingshot") it was not problem for tender commission. Glock of course protested, but P30L won. This is mod that anyone can do DIY just in same way as HK did during trials :sarcastic:

Great post, Montrala. Thanks for contributing.

Lucky Strike
12-14-10, 12:52
I just bought a new lever from HKparts for like $20 and sent it off to a gunsmith (although it's probably something I could have done myself but I wanted the part refinished afterwards) to get shortened to a length where my thumb won't rest on it.

I should be getting it back this week. I bought an extra one so I'd still have a stock length lever in case i want to put the gun back to a stock appearance.

payj
12-14-10, 15:29
With the HK 45 slide release installed, would the gun take down in the same way? In that the slide release would slide out of it's groove but not come apart? Or would it be different?

badness
12-14-10, 16:04
i really love my p30 v3. I love it so much i think i'm going to pick up a p30LS v3 as well. Maybe even an hk45! HK has definately won me over as the best polymer pistol that fits my liking. I wish they were just a couple hundred less lol.

tuff
12-14-10, 17:52
I had a P30 and really liked it....put quite a few rounds done the pipe...:D

Alpha Sierra
12-14-10, 19:33
I guess Glock is the only European pistol maker that can design a pistol to work with a modern handgun grip.

montrala
12-15-10, 04:32
I guess Glock is the only European pistol maker that can design a pistol to work with a modern handgun grip.

Nope. Glock owners have same problem only some have it other way. High grip in their case "lifts" slide release up and locks back slide.

Look at Magpul Handgun discs - I've seen there S&W M&P do exactly same in Chris Costa hands one or two times. Isn't it most modern US made handgun? ;)

But if you want European pistol that is 100% compatible with modern handgun grip and fully ambidextrous, flat shooting, etc... look for HK P7M13 :big_boss:

BTW Modern combat handguns are made up to manual of arms that biggest customers use - military. And most of militaries still think that you shoot handgun one handed and from the hip :sarcastic:

payj
12-15-10, 14:56
With glocks the high grip people also report of the slide coming back and cutting them. SW answered with that huge beaver tail on the MP..... I think all these pistols have their drawbacks, none are perfect........

LDM
12-16-10, 07:46
I got the HK45 slide release in the mail yesterday.
Impressive delivery time form HKPRO. HKPRO got the order out the same day and it arrived two days later, Utah to NC via US mail.
I opened the package and the label on the part container said P2000 slide release... but I quickly realized this is a common part across a couple of models.
The shorter slide release works as advertised with a P30.
Hard pressed to say great improvement, but nonetheless an improvement and worth the money. It could definitely be difference in accidental interference.
One note- the P2000-HK45 slide release does not have the notch in the axis pin as does the P30. It must be removed to disassemble and to re-assemble. You must put slide onto frame before inserting the slide release (almost like a 1911). There is a rib on the P30 barrel lug that is accommodated by a groove in the P30 slide release axis pin.
For me, this part was worth buying.

payj
12-17-10, 20:08
Awesome! Thank you for the review. Is it possible to post a pic?

Corse
12-19-10, 09:42
I got the HK45 slide release in the mail yesterday.
Impressive delivery time form HKPRO. HKPRO got the order out the same day and it arrived two days later, Utah to NC via US mail.
I opened the package and the label on the part container said P2000 slide release... but I quickly realized this is a common part across a couple of models.
The shorter slide release works as advertised with a P30.
Hard pressed to say great improvement, but nonetheless an improvement and worth the money. It could definitely be difference in accidental interference.
One note- the P2000-HK45 slide release does not have the notch in the axis pin as does the P30. It must be removed to disassemble and to re-assemble. You must put slide onto frame before inserting the slide release (almost like a 1911). There is a rib on the P30 barrel lug that is accommodated by a groove in the P30 slide release axis pin.
For me, this part was worth buying.

LDM,

Did you order the P2000 slide release or the HK45 part? Thanks.

LOKNLOD
12-19-10, 11:36
LDM,

Did you order the P2000 slide release or the HK45 part? Thanks.

I believe he is saying he ordered the HK45 part, and received one labeled P2000, because they are a common part.

ETA: or perhaps not, see E-man's post below...

E-man930
12-19-10, 17:47
Please don't add to the thread if you are "guessing" at best.
The P2000 / HK45 slide releases are different, with different part numbers, designed almost a decade apart for different pistols... They do, however, interchange bewteen the two pistols. How many times must I post the same thing regarding P30 levers before it sinks in. (This is the third wave on M4C)

Slide stops can be swapped between:

P2000 / P2000SK / P30 / P30S / P30L / P30LS / HK45 / HK45C

Find what works best for you and don't be one of those folks that marvel at the fact that you can swap the slide stop levers out but never does and don't be one of those folks that bashes the swap, condemning the pistol to blow up because of it. The notch in the P30 series slide stop is due to the slide stop being designed as captive to the frame, and as such, H&K put a clearence notch in the P30 's slide stop and machined most of the backside metal off of the recoil guide rod save for a small "bump" that passes through this notch when you pull the slide stop out and pull the slide forward off of the frame. Your pistol will not blow up if you decide to swap levers for one that does not have this notch. You will instead have to remove the slide stop lever from the frame completely just like you do for all of H&K's other plastic pistols.

crowkiller
12-20-10, 12:56
Please don't add to the thread if you are "guessing" at best.
The P2000 / HK45 slide releases are different, with different part numbers, designed almost a decade apart for different pistols... They do, however, interchange bewteen the two pistols. How many times must I post the same thing regarding P30 levers before it sinks in. (This is the third wave on M4C)

Slide stops can be swapped between:

P2000 / P2000SK / P30 / P30S / P30L / P30LS / HK45 / HK45C

Find what works best for you and don't be one of those folks that marvel at the fact that you can swap the slide stop levers out but never does and don't be one of those folks that bashes the swap, condemning the pistol to blow up because of it. The notch in the P30 series slide stop is due to the slide stop being designed as captive to the frame, and as such, H&K put a clearence notch in the P30 's slide stop and machined most of the backside metal off of the recoil guide rod save for a small "bump" that passes through this notch when you pull the slide stop out and pull the slide forward off of the frame. Your pistol will not blow up if you decide to swap levers for one that does not have this notch. You will instead have to remove the slide stop lever from the frame completely just like you do for all of H&K's other plastic pistols.

Thanks for the info.
How do you remove the captured slide stop from the P30?

F-Trooper05
12-20-10, 16:02
Thanks for the info.

If you remove the slide and look at the notch in the slide stop, you'll see that the only thing keeping it captured is the arm of the trigger return spring. Take a small screw driver and gently lift up on the arm, then pull the side stop out just like you would on a USP or 1911.

espnazi
12-20-10, 16:27
What is the shortest slide release in between all the interchangeable models?

jamaicanj
12-21-10, 04:30
Congrats. The P30 is an excellent shooter and is quite the natural pointer.

grimm
12-21-10, 14:51

There is one that is harder to find than a pregnant unicorn, it is called the "slim" levers part #L207756 for the left side and R207757 for the right.

montrala
12-21-10, 14:59

"Use the Force, Luke! Use the Force!"

Just pull on it until it pops out. :)

LDM
12-22-10, 07:45
Been out of town on business... travel this time of year is a PIA.
Pretty much everything has already been covered well.
I did order a HK45 slide release. The packaging on what I got said P2000. No matter, it accomplished what I intended.
Eman gives an excellent detailed description above about the notch in the P30 slide release, why it's there, and how the "alternate" slide releases work instead... better description than my post. The "slim" slide release is a much coveted item that to best of my knowledge is not available in US.
Will try to post picture when I get my head above water.
Stay safe.

Post Script- Link below is to HK demonstration of P30. Saw this on an HK forum and it is an excellent video. The P30 in this video has the shorter slide release and that is exactly how mine looks. Warning- the Euro-techno music may be offensive to some; recommend mute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a16KhDOZy0

Lucky Strike
12-22-10, 12:56

shortest slide release is buying a spare one and having it cut down

YVK
12-22-10, 16:19
shortest slide release is buying a spare one

In my experience, easier said than done. I've asked HK CS about spares, and the answer was basically "don't have them, don't know when we'll get them".

Lucky Strike
12-22-10, 17:00
In my experience, easier said than done. I've asked HK CS about spares, and the answer was basically "don't have them, don't know when we'll get them".

Go to HKparts.net

I ordered a spare one (that I sent to get cut down) from there a month ago and had it on my doorstep within 10 days

YVK
12-22-10, 19:54
Thanks. They are out of stock right now.

swamper
08-05-13, 20:04
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to get the P30S slide release levers for their P30. They are in stock for at HKParts.net.

Left Release (http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Slide-Release-left-HK-P30S-LS-Shorty-205p2486.htm)

Right Release (http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Slide-Release-Right-HK-P30S-LS-Shorty-205p2487.htm)

E-man930
08-05-13, 20:22
If you are going to buy new levers you might as well pick up the German spec "slim" slide stop lever set, I feel they are the best addition to any modern H&K pistol that can accept them.

H&K slim slide stop lever set (P2000 / P2000SK / P30 / P30L / HK45 / HK45C) (http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Slim-Slide-Release-Lever-Set-HK-P2000-P2000SK-HK45-HK45C-212p2388.htm) Ignore the picture, looks like they confused the graphic with one from a P30 factory lever set

C4IGrant
08-05-13, 20:54

No (as people still put pressure down on the Glock and M&P slide catches).

It is simply a matter of rolling ones thumb out onto their weak hand.

C4

kirito
08-11-13, 10:18
agreed with ^ and i had the same issue until i shot with someone that is a full on HK guy. it changed my perspective a bit.

Grand58742
08-11-13, 13:12
Bought one, wonderful ergonomics. They put a lot of thought into the interchangeable grips. V3 took some getting used to trigger pull wise as I got spoiled by the Sig SRT...

But never could get over my trigger finger swiping the top of the mag release. Never actually activated it when I was firing, but kept hitting just the top with the bottom of my finger and it was annoying to the point of causing problems. It just wasn't natural for me to change my entire firing setup and go a little higher on the trigger.

Nice pistol, just in the end wasn't for me.

prez1967
08-28-13, 19:03
I have issues riding the slide lock on Glocks, 1911s, Berettas, etc. its a matter of thumb placement.

Its easier for me on guns with frame mounted safeties but i still have to remind myself that I must rest down with the heel of my thumb and not the tip...