PDA

View Full Version : M&P question/concern

kwelz
12-13-10, 07:48
Over the weekend I took a Vickers Shooting Method Handgun class(AAR to come later). While this was not my first class it was my first Handgun oriented class.

Overall it went well and my gear held up great. But one issue that really bothered me was the Magazine disconnect on my handgun. Durring dry fire drills this was a real pain. But the biggest issue was during one drill. I did not seat the mag properly on a reload and it slipped out enough where the safety engaged and I was unable to fire the round in the chamber.

I fixed the malf quickly and the instructor never saw, but in a life or death situation I could have ended up on the losing end.

So my question is this. How should I handle this? The two main options are to sell the gun and use that to fund a new one from Grant, or I could try to track down the parts to remove the safety from the gun.

I would just like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of having the safety removed. Or if I would just be better off replacing it with a new one.

Thanks!

jeremy stanke
12-13-10, 07:50
i would just remove the mag disconnect, i have heard its not that hard. i dont have any first hand knowledge though as all of my m&ps came without it from the factory.

GaryXD
12-13-10, 08:00
http://www.burwellguns.com/M&P2.htm

It's easy to remove. I just cut down a 1911 mag catch spring and used that.

Supermoto
12-13-10, 08:31
I remove both the mag safety and the sear disco, neither are needed

JohnN
12-13-10, 09:17
Speed Shooters Specialties has these springs made for just that issue.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/displayitem.php?rowid=844&type=Mag%20Safety%20Deactivation%20Spring

ra2bach
12-13-10, 10:29
or, you could just make sure you seat the mag correctly...

kwelz
12-13-10, 10:40
or, you could just make sure you seat the mag correctly...

Har Har. While you are correct there are situations where the mag drops from the gun intentionally or otherwise. I have a dislike of safeties like this anyway.

superr.stu
12-13-10, 10:46
stuck cars and steel ammo > mag disconnect =-P

subzero
12-13-10, 10:52
I would remove the magazine disconnect. It's ridiculously easy. It becomes much less of a hassle dealing with classes, matches and other opportunities for a mag disconnect to screw you.

You lose the capability to punch the mag out in case of a BG trying to strip your gun away, which is the only reason I can think of to keep a magazine disconnect.

I prefer buying my M&Ps with the magazine disconnect so I don't get the stupid warning banner on the slide. Then I remove it and my gun works correctly.

SpookyPistolero
12-13-10, 11:10
Haha, when I was hunting for a M&P at the gunshow, the broad behind the counter interrogated as to why I'd possibly want a pistol without the mag disconnect. Hmm...

C4IGrant
12-13-10, 11:30
Over the weekend I took a Vickers Shooting Method Handgun class(AAR to come later). While this was not my first class it was my first Handgun oriented class.

Overall it went well and my gear held up great. But one issue that really bothered me was the Magazine disconnect on my handgun. Durring dry fire drills this was a real pain. But the biggest issue was during one drill. I did not seat the mag properly on a reload and it slipped out enough where the safety engaged and I was unable to fire the round in the chamber.

I fixed the malf quickly and the instructor never saw, but in a life or death situation I could have ended up on the losing end.

So my question is this. How should I handle this? The two main options are to sell the gun and use that to fund a new one from Grant, or I could try to track down the parts to remove the safety from the gun.

I would just like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of having the safety removed. Or if I would just be better off replacing it with a new one.

Thanks!

So you have a Mag Safey model huh? There is a reason we never recommend these. :D

You can remove the mag safety from the sear housing block.

C4

WillBrink
12-13-10, 11:37

Thanks!

Remove it (not difficult to do) or consider selling/trading in for model that has no disconnect. Mine has no disconnect. :cool:

TY44934
12-13-10, 11:42
I think I might have used the spring from a dead ball-point pen, cut down. Really not difficult at all to do.

Irish10
12-13-10, 14:12
You can also buy a new sear housing from Brownells without the mag safety (they sell both). You just remove the old and drop the new in and this way if you ever need to ship the gun back to S&W for service, just swap them out again. I bought one last month and they were under $20 for a full assembled sear, housing, etc.

SWATcop556
12-13-10, 14:27
I picked up models with the mag safety then removed it so I don't have the legal-ese writing down the side.

Purely an asthetic thing for me. I hate lawyers writing on my guns. :secret:

JeffWard
12-13-10, 14:55
www.mp-pistol.com

Lotsa threads there. Look for posts by mp9works... I think is his tag-name. He's very good, and knowledgeable.

Of just send it to Dan Burwell, M&P Guru.

Jeff

kartoffel
12-13-10, 15:24
The legalese writing is a feature. It scares hippies.

S&W's legalese is far better than say, Ruger's. I'd rather have dire warnings about the possibility of the gun being fired w/o a mag. "READ INSTRUCTION MANUAL BEFORE OPERATING" is nowhere near as scary. :sarcastic:

kwelz
12-13-10, 15:52
So you have a Mag Safey model huh? There is a reason we never recommend these. :D

You can remove the mag safety from the sear housing block.

C4

Haha I bought it before I really knew better.

I will just have Mr. Barnsfather do the work and work on the trigger a bit while he is in there. Sorry grant. Guess I will have to buy something else from you.

Thanks for all the help guys.

kwelz
12-13-10, 19:13
stuck cars and steel ammo > mag disconnect =-P

Yeah at least I wasn't one of you poor schmucks out there pushing on the car. I just got to work the throttle.

As for the steel cased ammo, mine worked fine. :P
Not my fault others brought inferior guns. ;) (Mag disconnect aside)

RogerinTPA
12-13-10, 19:45
I mistakenly purchased an M&P9 with the mag safety and hated it. I had Ben at Boresightsolutions remove it while having my pistols worked on.

ra2bach
12-14-10, 11:45
Har Har. While you are correct there are situations where the mag drops from the gun intentionally or otherwise. I have a dislike of safeties like this anyway.

you're right, I was being a goof...:jester:

however, there is only one plausible reason that I agree with having a mag disconnect. on a striker fired pistol that is carried IWB, sometimes when reholstering some of your clothing can get in the way and can theoretically activate the trigger. this would be bad carrying 3 or 4 o'clock but I positively get the night-sweats thinking about this happening with the gun pointed at my jibblies in an Appendix carry.

if I did carry this way, and I don't, it would probably be a M&P9C with the mag disconnect and I would partially release the mag before holstering.

but I won't, so I'm not going to worry about what I'm not going to do anyway... :cool:

BWT
12-14-10, 12:48
I remove both the mag safety and the sear disco, neither are needed

I plan on buying an M&P, and maybe I'm missing something here.

You realize the sear disconnect (in most firearms I have experience with, I.E., 1911's) keeps the gun from firing out of battery right?

That's why it's there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjwonof61_s

Is it the same in M&P's? I don't know how willy nilly I'd be prepared to remove a device like that.

Magazine safety, absolutely.

As always, YMMV.

Supermoto
12-14-10, 13:01
The disco on the 1911 is not the same part as the sear disconnect on the M&P The M&P uses the side to move the trigger bar out from under the sear to allow the sear to reset while the gun cycles and the trigger is held back.

The sear disconnect on the MP allows you to disconnect the sear from the striker without pulling the trigger during assembly

BWT
12-14-10, 13:08
The disco on the 1911 is not the same part as the sear disconnect on the M&P The M&P uses the side to move the trigger bar out from under the sear to allow the sear to reset while the gun cycles and the trigger is held back.

The sear disconnect on the MP allows you to disconnect the sear from the striker without pulling the trigger during assembly

Showing my ignorance, thanks for being merciful in your reply.

My mistake.

Supermoto
12-14-10, 13:13
Showing my ignorance, thanks for being merciful in your reply.

My mistake.

No problem, it was a good question, It shows that you are thinking about how mods can affect the gun. Its the naming of the parts that caused the confusion