PDA

View Full Version : Bipod question... selection

Rezarf2
12-13-10, 10:53
I am between two bipods. The Harris and the Versa-Pod. I would like a setup that would simple to move from my bolt gun (Rem 700) to my AR.

I think the Versa-Pod is the front runner in terms of swapping it around. However, I have not handled either in person yet and was wondering how easy it is to install/remove a Harris as well?

Just looking for some opinions. This will be used primarily for bench rest/prone target shooting. And may stay on my bolt gun in elk season.

Thanks in advance-

Gutshot John
12-13-10, 11:12
Harris is the standard. I'm not sure I understand what Versa-Pod does that Harris doesn't.

There are picatinny rail adapters for Harris bipods...doesn't get any more flexible than that. Absent that the Harris is pretty easy to install without a rail mount.

A bipod is usually for prone shooting. Its application is going to be somewhat limited on a hunt.

The only way I'd really consider the versa-pod is if it were significantly lighter than the harris.

mark5pt56
12-13-10, 11:17
I am between two bipods. The Harris and the Versa-Pod. I would like a setup that would simple to move from my bolt gun (Rem 700) to my AR.

I think the Versa-Pod is the front runner in terms of swapping it around. However, I have not handled either in person yet and was wondering how easy it is to install/remove a Harris as well?

Just looking for some opinions. This will be used primarily for bench rest/prone target shooting. And may stay on my bolt gun in elk season.

Thanks in advance-

This will fit your needs

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=263

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index_p.php?p=srs

ALCOAR
12-13-10, 13:52
The Atlas V8 bipod is light years better than anything else Ive seen. This is really an exceptional piece of kit.

http://www.accu-shot.com/atlas_bipod.html

Zach
12-14-10, 08:07
The Atlas V8 bipod is light years better than anything else Ive seen. This is really an exceptional piece of kit.

http://www.accu-shot.com/atlas_bipod.html

I second that!

Moreover, Kasey and Kody are great guys to deal with.

Gutshot John
12-14-10, 09:17
What makes the Atlas better? "Better" is kind of a subjective term so I'm curious as to what functional/performance improvement it makes over the Harris?

Is it lighter? Is it more rugged? Easier to use? Brings something new to the table that justifies the premium?

Have either of you used the Harris?

I have no problem with the look-at-my-new-shiny aspect of a piece of kit but a bipod isn't exactly rocket science and if someone is going to spend twice as much then there should be a good reason.

I'm not asking to be a smart-ass or challenge your assertions I genuinely want to know more and get an honest assessment for the OP. If it is really the cat's ass I'll buy one myself.

ALCOAR
12-14-10, 09:33
Both my SPR and Recce sport Harris BRM-S's w. ADM AD-BP mounts.

http://i53.tinypic.com/145r0z.jpg

They certainly get the job done and they have served me well, but now that the long back ordered ATLAS V8's are avail. I will be replacing the two above with Atlas's.

I have used one on my good pal's mk 12 type 3-4 times and that is all it took to convince me. The ATLAS is just that much better in ever aspect but for me the biggest is being able to kick the legs forward which is a godsend for generating proper technique when "loading" you bipod.

My hand would hurt if I had to type out all the ways the Atlas is better than a Harris.

Gutshot John
12-14-10, 09:51
The ATLAS is just that much better in ever aspect but for me the biggest is being able to kick the legs forward which is a godsend for generating proper technique when "loading" you bipod.

This is certainly a nice feature but I've never had a problem loading the bipod with a Harris.

I think it would be beneficial to all involved if you risked a case of writer's cramp for a thorough assessment or at least gave us a "top 5". :moil:

Bionic Dead
12-14-10, 10:55
This is certainly a nice feature but I've never had a problem loading the bipod with a Harris. I think it would be beneficial to all involved if you risked a case of writer's cramp for a thorough assessment or at least gave us a "top 5". :moil: I am also interested as I am also putting together a long range stick

Ilove2shoot
12-14-10, 11:42
my two prefered bipods are Harris and the Bobro bipod.

Zach
12-14-10, 13:34
This is certainly a nice feature but I've never had a problem loading the bipod with a Harris.

I think it would be beneficial to all involved if you risked a case of writer's cramp for a thorough assessment or at least gave us a "top 5". :moil:

Legs can fold in both directions.

All 5 leg positions are maintained by push button stainless steel
allowing to load the bipod at any of the three deployed positions.

You can deploy the legs to 45 degrees, allows the rifle to go super low.

The Atlas allows true panning from side to side vs. Harris swiveling around the center.

Handles pan and swivel without issue.

The leg to base mount is rock solid, no springs to get in the way.

Atlas V8 10.5oz, Harris 9-13 swivel 14oz.

You'll know what the hype is about after you'll handle one. It is the cat's ass :)

Side note, I believe that the Atlas V8 will come standard with the Barrett Mrad.

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/mrad

rainman
12-14-10, 16:10
Atlas V8 10.5oz, Harris 9-13 swivel 14oz.
http://www.barrett.net/firearms/mrad

As a person who's been happy with Harris, I have to say that a nearly quarter-lb less weight alone is enough to get me to look at the Atlas.

I'm getting older and bang-sticks seem to be getting heavier...light-weight is good.

Thanks for the detailed info!

-Rainman

taliv
12-15-10, 11:35
my take on the atlas as compared to harris/podloc:

pros:
the "swivel" model of the harris only allows you to adjust for uneven terrain, while the atlas lets you traverse for targets moving laterally.
seems like a little lower profile
no exposed springs

cons:
price (..!..)
availability
difficult to mount on sling studs common on most stocks
nobody will want to buy your v8 when the v9 comes out

neutral:
legs aren't spring loaded so you have to manually set them
leg angle... probably a pro for some, but i've never had a problem loading a harris or getting low to the ground

biglou13
12-16-10, 05:45
i shoot and train with both. however i like the versa pod better. which im sure, places me in the minority. i like to load the bi pod. the harris doesn't allow for this , as much. the versa pod (parker hale knock off) legs have more mobility than harris. while it doesn't lock for cant like the harris pod lock (or similar) there is enough tension i can hold for days. i use a level on my scope rail and it allows for quick adjustments, giving me more control over second shot engagement.and correcting cant.

versa is is 2 parts, a mounting block then removable bipod. harris is 1 part. mount doubles has hand stop when shooting off hand. unless you have a block on each rifle for fast switch. both have simple "pinch" mounts to sling stud.

versa comes with notched legs, harris more expensive option.

harris wins over versa on sturdiness. although i haven't broken versa

harris is shorter so if you have a great shooting position you can get lower, closer to ground.

versa is less expensive

it all comes down to what you trained with. either will work. neither will make you a better shooter.

get both. you can always re sell.

Pain
12-27-10, 19:17
I run the Harris bi pod on my varmint gun. That's a sweet accessory!