PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet lugs

yellowfin
12-13-10, 11:06
What's the deal with them being on almost every AR upper these days? Does anyone really use them and do they have a real purpose other than mounting a bayonet, which nearly no one ever does? Or is it just putting it on there because it's an original design spec and since we're post-'04 (unless you live in a place that still retains the ban) the manufacturers put them on because they can?

For some reason a couple of states still have in their laws a restriction against bayo lugs as an "evil feature." I have to cut/grind them off uppers I buy or pick from the really skimpy selection of "post ban" setups which are usually plain end barrels which takes out my choice to put a suppressor mounting comp/brake on them for out of state enjoyment. What a pain in the neck. I know I'm in the minority of folks here, but is there much to say as to why an AR should have a bayo lug on it that it's missing out without one?

Eric D.
12-13-10, 11:30
Forging dies are extremely expensive. It would cost a butt-load to shut down production to modify the dies. It would cost even more to create new dies and integrate them into the process. There may also be copyright issues; my guess is that there are very few forging dies floating around.

Spiffums
12-13-10, 11:44
It pisses off Liberals......:sarcastic:

Quentin
12-13-10, 12:25
The bayonet lug also can be used to mount other accessories like a light. And it weighs next to nothing so I'm glad to have it. Besides I thought everyone had an M7 or M9 laying around! :laugh:

DaBears_85
12-13-10, 13:02

Haha, and isn't that what AR's are really all about? :D

Terminator2003
12-13-10, 13:34
I'm sure it's just as simple as the fact that the milspec dies are already made, so it doesn't makes financial sense to have a separate die just to facilitate the few states that still hold onto the AWB (like MA, where I live). Much easier to just take a dremel to it when needed for compliance. Does anyone on here actually use a bayo? Seems if I have 30 in the mag, and a bayo, my first move would not be to run up and stab someone!:sarcastic:

Eric D.
12-13-10, 13:56
Absolutely right, except for when a gook pops out right next to you, then a bayo may be handy. The people in Ban States get the double shaft: low cap mags and no bayo to use when they run out of ammo.

30 cal slut
12-13-10, 14:00
Absolutely right, except for when a gook pops out right next to you, then a bayo may be handy. The people in Ban States get the double shaft: low cap mags and no bayo to use when they run out of ammo.

bayonets.

they're not just for gooks any more. :big_boss:

Terminator2003
12-13-10, 14:20

Whoa, that is an excellent point! You are right, the ban states should allow it, because of the limited mag capacity - never thought of that!;)

Eric D.
12-13-10, 15:10
Very true, they work quite well on all varieties of third-world chest-thumpers.

they're not just for gooks any more. :big_boss:

Its modern government, all logic is out the window.

Whoa, that is an excellent point! You are right, the ban states should allow it, because of the limited mag capacity - never thought of that!;)

kartoffel
12-13-10, 15:17

Many rifles in ban states are stuck with solid, non-collapsible buttstocks. See, the gubmint in their infinite wisdom wants to ensure those poor folks have a sturdy weapon for delivering buttstrokes.

Careby
12-13-10, 15:29
I don't mind the lug on a 20" rifle or even a 14.5" carbine. While it's not of any real use to me, at least it is functional. But I don't like them on a 16" with carbine-length gas, since the distance between the lug and the flash hider is wrong and a (normal) bayonet won't fit.

Beat Trash
12-13-10, 16:58
Personally I have no use for the bayonet lug on my 16" guns.

But then it doesn't bother me either.

I do get a smile on may face when ever I think that some idiot actually thinks my AR is more "dangerous" if it has a bayonet lug vs. if it were ground off.

If it pisses these folks off, then having one makes me happy!

D. Christopher
12-13-10, 18:39
I'm one of the few people that actually like the bayonet lug. I use it to mount a light/laser combo and it's very solid and keeps the rifle balanced. I shoot ambi so I don't like things sticking out on one side or the other, the lug allows me to keep the light/laser centerline and I can use standard handguards. It keeps things simple, solid, light, and inexpensive. The bayonet lug is one of the most overlooked and under utilized parts of the modern AR platform.

bigkracka
12-13-10, 19:08

This is the best answer I've heard. :sarcastic:

ETA - I've never used it, but like to have it. Exception being rail over low profile gas block which is my current build.

Quiet-Matt
12-13-10, 19:33
Darn thing just looks menacing doesn't it?
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TPEwuI8QHDI/AAAAAAAAG7c/E0LKJBvGyVQ/s720/DSC01533.JPG

Mac5.56
12-13-10, 20:40
Your just mad because NY wont allow it. Get over it, and realize it's just something your going to have to live with. Or you can move.

Honestly if this is your biggest beef with NY state gun laws your not paying much attention.

I say this as a current Upstate NY resident too.

markm
12-13-10, 22:05
I don't even give it any thought. There's bayo studs on several of my ARs that wouldn't be functional due to too long and too short barrels. Who cares?

yellowfin
12-13-10, 22:30
Oh I have PLENTY I hate about NY gun laws:

1. The Sullivan Law
2. No suppressors
3. No SBR's
4. No new magazines >10 rounds
5. No carry in NYC unless your last name is Trump or DeNiro
6. No dove hunting
7. Features limitations on rifles
8. Age minimums for shooting and hunting
9. The NYSRPA being stupid enough to only try to get 10% of the population as a support base by pushing the "sportsmen" angle and nothing else plus acting like the entire state outside the Hudson Valley doesn't exist, thus voluntarily guaranteeing NYC have their way with the state virtually without challenge.
10. All of NYC's gun laws which guarantee less than 1% of the population there will ever be gun owners with >50% of the voter base in the state.

Only reason I'm here is because of my wife's job. I'm sure as hell not here for my own well being. But even if I weren't here, it doesn't make it not my problem that these people put 2 Senators and 29 Congressmen in DC (plus 2 more Senators and 13 Congressmen that are Bloomberg's/unions' puppets in New Jersey) making laws for the whole country no matter where I am, and exporting hundreds of thousands of people to all the other states who are so used to these ungodly ****ed up laws and philosophy they'll vote for it wherever they end up and try to impose it on me there too.

PdxMotoxer
12-14-10, 03:37
and here i thought the bayo lugs on my mossy 590a1 and S&W M.O.E.
were for and if (when) the zombies try to take over. :dance3: