PDA

View Full Version : TacStar 870 Magazine Extension...?

Jack-S
12-13-10, 16:08
Wondering if anyone has/is using one and thoughts or opinions? I've been debating between a TacStar and Remington Mag extension. The TacStars' are half the price and I can get an extra 5 rounds in it. I have found a 5 round TacStar that's quite provoking.. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=31507/pid=13101/sku/5_Rd__fits_Rem__870

Thoughts/opinions?
Thanks
-Jack

Belmont31R
12-13-10, 16:18
I would stay away from TacStar. Basically airsoft quality.

I had a Remington factory extension, and switched it out for a Scattergun Technologies extension, Vang Comp follower, and heavy duty spring. Its a much better built unit than the factory Rem unit, and light years ahead of Tac Star.

Also keep in mind if your gun did not come with an extension as factory you are going to have to remove the divots in the mag tube so the follower can get past that section of the tube once you install the extension.

$CashMoney$
12-18-10, 23:10
I stay away from all tacstar, some of them are even plastic!!! We're not talking high end polymer stuff, either.

I like the Nordic Components extensions. They're a little pricey but I read somewhere that they're all CNC machined, and can't remember where though and I can't seem to find it again.

Here's a link to one of the bigger ones, but it also has a chart that you can use to figure out what size you want/need.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=248781

Most people run a tube as long or slightly shorter than their barrels. With a good choke, I've seen some folks run one several inches longer than their barrels. I personally don't do this.

Also consider that if you run one thats generally five rounds or larger, you'll probably need a barrell clamp for added rigidity. I think that the scattergun tech ones don't necessarily need one, but don't quote me on that one, it's just heresay. I have a scattergun tech +2 on my 11-87 right now, but I will be changing it for a NC +5 for three gun, so I can try to keep up with the guys with 30" barrels and +8 tubes.

arizona98tj
12-19-10, 15:59
At the training courses I attend, TacStar is commonly referred to as TacCrap. I have seen some of it actually come off of a shotgun during a training course. While I feel bad for the person it happened to, it is funny to see their expression when it happens. :D

That being said, I would recommend something from one of the higher end companies. I have Mesa Tactical on one of my pump guns and have zero complaints. Nordic Components is another good brand that I have used.

infidelprodigy
12-19-10, 17:06
Got a Tacstar extension for my 870 dirt cheap years ago. Promptly threw away the spring and follower replacing them with Scattergun Technologies components. The extension itself (metal) has held up, but has an old habit from AR's, I dabbed some blue loctite on the threads to ensure it wouldn't vibrate out ever. Called me paranoid.

William B.
12-19-10, 18:37
I still have one that I put on my Remington 870 about 8 yrs ago when I first became interested in firearms. It pretty much sucks and even works itself loose with blue Loctite applied.

$CashMoney$
12-21-10, 13:19
This is the first time I've heard of any one using Loc Tite on their extentions. My current (11-87) SG is my third one with an extension; I've never used Loc Tite on any of them and I certainly have never had one work loose, nor have I heard of it. Is his a common issue that I've somehow remained unaware of?

It goes to show, we never know what we don't know!

William B.
12-21-10, 17:41
This is the first time I've heard of any one using Loc Tite on their extentions. My current (11-87) SG is my third one with an extension; I've never used Loc Tite on any of them and I certainly have never had one work loose, nor have I heard of it. Is his a common issue that I've somehow remained unaware of?

It goes to show, we never know what we don't know!

We're talking Tac-Star here. It's probably not an issue with a well-made extension.

$CashMoney$
12-21-10, 21:53
We're talking Tac-Star here. It's probably not an issue with a well-made extension.

And, roger.

infidelprodigy
12-22-10, 21:22
Indeed the loctite thing is pretty much only related to tacstar. If I ever get around to messing with my 870 again, I will finish changing it out with a Nordic or Wilson tube to complete the riddance of tacstar. But so far so good, and the round count on the shotgun is far less than rifle and pistol.

$CashMoney$
12-23-10, 09:21
I've never used TacStar, and never will, unless something drastic changes. That explains why I've never heard of this.

Jack-S
12-23-10, 17:32
Thanks to all who contributed some useful information, after some research I have decided on Nordic Components for a tube extension and barrel clamp.

Thanks
-Jack

arizona98tj
12-23-10, 19:17
Post up a pic when you get everything assembled! :)

$CashMoney$
12-24-10, 09:28
Thanks to all who contributed some useful information, after some research I have decided on Nordic Components for a tube extension and barrel clamp.

Thanks
-Jack

You won't be disappointed. Be sure to post pics.