PDA

View Full Version : Surefire MB556AR Installation

NewbieDave
12-13-10, 16:55
Was wondering if someone here can scan and give me a copy of the installation instruction with the shim wheel for the SF MB556AR?

I recently purchased the brake with shims used but without the installation instructions. If you have a copy... PM me and I'll get in contact with you on email!

Thanks,

~dpc

Belmont31R
12-13-10, 17:42
Its pretty easy.

Just find a shim combo that gets the brake clocked to about 2 with the threads degreased and cleaned. You want to use a minimum of 2 shims not one big one. 3 is even better. You'll be spinning on and off the brake at least a few times before you find a good combo. Just remember thinner shims mean the brake can get more rotation but that should be fairly obvious. 2 works best for me, and Ive installed a few on my own guns, taken them off and on again, ect. If you go to 1 when you go to tighten down the brake you wont have enough torque on the brake before it lines up, and if you go to 3 it would be too hard. So 1:30-2 should be right. Rocksett is not needed if you aren't using a can but then a little grease would be a good idea.

Once you find a combo that gets the brake timed to about 2 apply a drop size amount of the Rocksett to each side of the threads, spin the brake on, and then use a wrench to tighten to 12. If you have a rail you can look down the side rails, and the flat on the brake should be parallel to the edge of the rail. So you'd turn the gun on its side, and hold the upper up so you get a good light reflection. You'll be able to see if the wrench flat on the brake is lined up with the edge of the rail looking down it towards the muzzle end.